weight gain

Posted , 11 users are following.

been using omeprazole 20mg now for 15 months i have put on at least 2 stone and developed man boobs so i think i will have to find another cure

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have been on omeprazole for 2 years now and also put on weight, around 15pounds, but didnt really think it could have been due to that medicine, so thanks for posting, i know then its not only me who put on weight! but i cant come off omeprazole cos missing one tablet for me means horrible GERD, so im thinking about the laparoscopy, but i know that laparoscopy couldnt be performed on someone with too much fat tissue... so i guess thats a vicious circle! Good luck for u!
  • Posted

I've been taking omeprazole for about 18 months now and in that time i have gained over 3 stone. I didnt think it was the tablets until i was asked to come off them for a week to have some tests done. I noticed whilst i was off the tablets my appetite grew smaller and meals were standing to me a hell of a lot longer. When i went back on the omeprazole I found myself needing larger meals to satisfy my hunger.

Now i have seen on here that other people are suffering with the weight gain it makes me feel a hell of a lot better as i was starting to wonder what the hell was wrong with me. Thankfully i have my op soon and will no longer be taking omeprazole.

• Posted

Thank God someone has posted these effects. (Male 54 years old)

I was put on these for effects of voltarol. in the last 4/5 years my stomach started bloating and it was affecting ability to pee. I was sent for usual tests. And if anyone had these at urology they will know .

I began getting fatter ,from being always thin and able to eat normaly,all of a sudden i began to gain weight and since 2 years ago I put on 3 stones plus.. with boobs a model would be proud of,I eat virtually nothing except a slice of toast with coffee in morning, a few coffees during day until teatime and a small meal with not much after that. It has caused misery and I have been sent for more tests for bowel etc,and scopes ,scans etc,etc,, every one sicklier than before. Not one medic has answered me when asked ,could it be \"------\" medication,as I take various for spinal condition and counteracting drugs,one being Omeprazole.

I am not saying this is definite yet,but seeing all the comments on here makes me believe there is hope that it could be this drug.Prescribed drugs do cause illness and bad effects in many ,and leave many unscathed.

Thanks for all who did comment,as we live in(-continent) hope.

I will post back if there is a change after a week without Omeprazole(please God there is)

• Posted

Thank goodness, i though i was going mad!!! I have been on omeprazole for a month now due to what the doctor \"thinks may be stomach ulcers\" (over the phone diagnosis, no gastrocopy, xray, samples, nothing!!)I have gained half a stone despite going to the gym 1-2 times per week walking 4 miles 3 times a week and using a power plate twice a week, i am eating little but am constantly ravenous so goodness know what i would be like if i ate what i wanted!!! I'm coming off as its made me worse, i regularly spit up acid, am constantly bloated and have a burning sensation in my gut often.
  • Posted

[quote:d74a17acc4=\"mp \"]Thank God someone has posted these effects. (Male 54 years old)

I was put on these for effects of voltarol. in the last 4/5 years my stomach started bloating and it was affecting ability to pee. I was sent for usual tests. And if anyone had these at urology they will know .

I began getting fatter ,from being always thin and able to eat normaly,all of a sudden i began to gain weight and since 2 years ago I put on 3 stones plus.. with boobs a model would be proud of,I eat virtually nothing except a slice of toast with coffee in morning, a few coffees during day until teatime and a small meal with not much after that. It has caused misery and I have been sent for more tests for bowel etc,and scopes ,scans etc,etc,, every one sicklier than before. Not one medic has answered me when asked ,could it be \"------\" medication,as I take various for spinal condition and counteracting drugs,one being Omeprazole.

I am not saying this is definite yet,but seeing all the comments on here makes me believe there is hope that it could be this drug.Prescribed drugs do cause illness and bad effects in many ,and leave many unscathed.

Thanks for all who did comment,as we live in(-continent) hope.

I will post back if there is a change after a week without Omeprazole(please God there is)[/quote:d74a17acc4]

I am just a wee bit late with a follow up/....I did feel a bit better after a few weeks without the omeprazole.I did not feel I was bloating up as much,and there was a definite relaxation from my gut/stomach compared to before use. I am in a trial and error phase with some of the meds I am taking for spinal nerve ralated disabilities. The meds do cause side effects mostly with stomach /bowel and that is why I was put on omeprazole,but I must confess ,I can live without them now,as there is a most definite,if only slight for me, in not taking omeprazole. For now anyway. I do hope this is of some help. good luck to all who need help.

• Posted

[quote:305d9a0b64=\"krissej \"]I've been taking omeprazole for about 18 months now and in that time i have gained over 3 stone. I didnt think it was the tablets until i was asked to come off them for a week to have some tests done. I noticed whilst i was off the tablets my appetite grew smaller and meals were standing to me a hell of a lot longer. When i went back on the omeprazole I found myself needing larger meals to satisfy my hunger.

Now i have seen on here that other people are suffering with the weight gain it makes me feel a hell of a lot better as i was starting to wonder what the hell was wrong with me. Thankfully i have my op soon and will no longer be taking omeprazole.[/quote:305d9a0b64]

• Posted

[quote:2d0a097e06=\"krissej \"]I've been taking omeprazole for about 18 months now and in that time i have gained over 3 stone. I didnt think it was the tablets until i was asked to come off them for a week to have some tests done. I noticed whilst i was off the tablets my appetite grew smaller and meals were standing to me a hell of a lot longer. When i went back on the omeprazole I found myself needing larger meals to satisfy my hunger.

Now i have seen on here that other people are suffering with the weight gain it makes me feel a hell of a lot better as i was starting to wonder what the hell was wrong with me. Thankfully i have my op soon and will no longer be taking omeprazole.[/quote:2d0a097e06]

Ive been taking Omeprazole for a year now, and i havent seen any weight gain attributed to that, i started on propranolol and mirtazapine around august and i put on 3 stone!

Ive started since new year, not on a stupid starvation diet, but a healthy diet, changed the way i eat, smaller portions and healthy foods etc, and ive lost 13lbs in a month! All 3 of the drugs i take are drugs that make you gain weight, but ive managed to lose it just by being healthy! Maybe you should all put down the3 big mack and cheese for a while?

• Posted

I have been omeprazole for 6 months and have put 1 stone on, but I have to be honest and say that I am now eating much better than I ever could before them. So...is it down to me or the tablets? Have to be honest... it is me. ALL THE SAME, WOULD NOT LIKE TO COME OF THEM TO TEST IT, AS I WAS IN TOO MUCH PAIN BEFORE THEM.
  • Posted

Well....I'm glad I found this forum. I started on omeprazole about 12 months ago, and have slowly crept up from a size 32 trousers to getting tight in size 34 waist now! I've gone from being 11 stone for the past 15 years or so, to 12 and......still adding. I thought it was my metabolism that had slowed due to age (I'm 37 next month).

But the reason I searched in the first place, was because I suspected the omeprazole might be to blame.....I eat healthily, watch my intake etc. In fact, truth be known, I have never eaten so healthily as I do nowadays.

Like someone said above though....coming off them doesn't really appeal, it was wakiong me up at night, affecting my sleep a lot, therefore affecting my daytime concentration etc.....

• Posted

Since my last posting on 17th May 2010, I have changed a few things. Firstly, I have always eaten plenty of healthy foods, but have also eaten plenty of cakes and biscuits.

I have cut out the cakes and biscuits and joined a gym, which I religously attend 5 evenings a week, and I have lost half a stone in just a month.

My weight gain was definately me and not the Omeprazole.

• Posted

I have been on omeprozole for about 2 years and put on about a stone. despite dieting, I was unable to loose any weight but did manage to stop it increasing further. Initially, I was on 40mg per day and managed to drop that to 20mg after about a year. A few weeks ago, I convinced the doctor to give me 2 sets of 10mg capsules and now take 10mg per day unless I get acid symptoms in which case, I take a second as required. Since I went on the lower dose, the weight is dropping off and I feel much better.
  • Posted

Hi, further down the line, still regularly going to the gym, and have lost 2.5 stones. So clearly the Omeprazole is not the problem with the weight gain.

The problem for all of us is that, before Omeprazole it was difficult to eat many things without creating pain for ourselves. After starting Omeprazole we can eat vrtually anything without a problem.

The problem we are all facing is with our willpower rather than with the drug we have been prescribed.

• Posted

[quote:387b269d82]Thank goodness, i though i was going mad!!! I have been on omeprazole for a month now .........I have gained half a stone despite going to the gym 1-2 times per week walking 4 miles 3 times a week and using a power plate twice a week, i am eating little but am constantly ravenous so goodness know what i would be like if i ate what i wanted!!![/quote:387b269d82]

Me too - 24 yo male, cycle nearly 20 miles per week (at a good speed!), no changes to diet or lifestyle, and after about one month I had put on about half a stone!

• Posted

Hello I am 27 and I'm taking omeoprazole or similar medicaments from 5 years and from that time I'm experiencing energy drops, dizziness, short breath and general unability to coope with demanding phisical activities (such as a full session at the gym) Does anyone have similar problems?
  • Posted

me too - have been on omeprazole for a couple of months and noticed HUGE increase in weight especially round the middle. Was nice and slim having lost a stone and now very bloated and battling with weight gain. Have gone up a size - but round the middle - am very careful what I eat and stay away from cakes, pies, breads - hardly eat cheese gone off the wine as trying not to cause any further damage as have barretts oesophegus - have just had my medication changed as it was starting not to have the same effects and getting really bad upper, middle stomach pain (never had before) . Hopeful the new meds will change the weight gain - am going to cut out all carbs for the next few weeks and just eat a healthy diet of vegies, some fruits and protein and see if this shifts the weight gain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.