Weight gain after using Omeprazole

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced severe weight gain after being on Omeprazole for a long time. Any attempt tp lose weight by restricting calorie intake have been in vain.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello. may I ask you if you had any problems with swollen feet and legs,

caused by thi drug.?? Do you take a big dose, and what do you take it for ??

• Posted

My mother has come under a new practice, and the doctor decide that 

she should have a20mg dose of  Omepr---- in spite of the fact that it

did not agree with her and sent her  stupid, but no, he insisted and her 

feet and legs blew up, and he will not take her off them  Because. HE  

IS A DOCTOR AND KNOWS BEST. I have asked him more than once, 

and as my mother is 97 and needs less drugs ,not more, I am now 

thinkingof reporting him for malpractice   ,She has turned into a Zombie

• Edited

Weigh gain can be one of the metabolic side effects of taking ppis - it's listed at drugs.com. I'm neither a doctor nor a scientist but It makes sense to me that by inhibiting acid production, the stomach doesn't process food properly and so it can end up stored in the body as fat.
    • Posted

I have also thought this the food eaten is not being broken down properly.I am going to ask my GP to reduce my dose from 20mg to 10mg to see if this helps with the weight gain.
    • Posted

Veronica, As you said in your OP that you have been on Omeprazole for a long time I'm assuming it's for reflux and not because of an ulcer or h. pylori. Or do you have to take it to counteract the effects of other medication, nsaids for example? I ask because I wondered if you had ever tried to control GERD by diet alone. I know it can be done as I did it myself after suffering very bad side effects from Omeprazole (and others in the ppi family). It took a long time to figure out exactly what the GERD triggers were but I did get there in the end and have been GERD free for a few years now. If you do reduce the dose or come off altogether be prepared for a period of bad days as the stomach goes back to producing more acid. For me, the worst trigger is chocolate. It was hard to give up but I feel so much better for it and, of course, it helps with weight control. Good luck.
    • Posted

I have tried to come off Omeprazole but the acid reflux was unbearable maybe halting the dose may help with weight gain.
    • Posted

It will have been. It well might be worth halving the dose to help with the weight but still expect to get some adverse reaction as the stomach starts to produce more acid again as I said before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.