What's going to happen to me?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I live in the Monterey Bay in California, so hope I can crash in on the UK folk here. It seems like a nice group. I was diagnosed with IPF around July of 2016. I am 67 years old. My condition went from no symptoms to a horrible crash after a lung biopsy, and a kind of recovery but with the certainty that this is a one way street. Estimates of survival time vary wildly depending upon treatment. I am being tested soon to see if I qualify for a lung transplant.

Here's the rub: Is a transplant worth it? The quality of life post-transplant appears to work for some people, although again, the survival time is very unpredictable. Oh dear, what's a person to do? Indeed, that is the question. Honestly I absolutely hate the idea of a transplant. Perhaps I not as attached to living as others are. That is not a death wish however. But I do wonder how much fuss one is to make in "hanging on." I recently read the book "Being Mortal" by Atul Gwande, a doctor who watched his father, also a doctor, struggle with "when to let go".

I am looking for some discussion on this that, well, sorry, doesn't rely upon God, or "blessings" nor even so much "have hope".

IPF is pretty isolating when on oxygen 24/7. Getting around with an E-tank is a drag, no pun intended. So if anyone wants to bank around on issues like the disease itself, mortality, pain, guilt, fear, sadness and all the rest, I'd like to have at it.

es

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

JMJ

Hello Eric,

well my husband was diagnosed in May 2013. We went to Two information classes at to different special hospitals with a room full of different surgeons. Bottom line after all their explaining we we told by the surgeons most all patients with this diagnoses are trading one set of illness for another with a lung transplant. So we chose not to go that way and to enjoy our lives as much as we could with our children and grandchildren. My husband was 66 when we were told and he died May 2014. 

we were married 43 years, we had a good life.

my husband was a pretty healthy active person his whole life.

I later found out it was where he worked is what caused his illness.

Please enjoy life as much as you can. We are all on a journey. Our real home is heaven. I do believe in miracles and I will keep you and all of your family in my heart and daily prayers.

• Posted

Thanks for the comments. I have had the "one disease for another" line from one of my doctors. There are two issues then. One is how much time does one tend to offer (on average) than the other, and how tolerable is life with the post-transplant meds and routines?

So your husband had exactly one year without the transplant? Interesting. Dang I wish this decision was a bit easier for me and my wife.

Speaking of wife, I am also in need of information on caregiving. It sounds like a pretty awful thing to do to my wife, although I hear Hospice and Palliative care helps a lot. But I have little to go on with that. I will be seeing a palliative care doctor soon though.

Once again, thanks very much for responding.

Best,

es

• Posted

JMJ

Hi Eric,

Hospice and palliative care are wonderful! I was very blessed to have my 3 children  and their spouses take shifts of caring for my husband and I pretty much could not bring myself to leave his side but every once in a while one of my kids would take me out for the day. When the time came hospice provided a care person to come in and shower or bath John.

there is a lot of letting go and coming to terms with how life is changing.

John was able to have complete care at home with two visits to the Hospice Facility and they take care of the wife too! They are truly heaven sent.

for almost 10 months we did all the kids soccer games and went to movies and yes along the way John had to give up driving and use a wheelchair and more oxygen but we made the most of life and were very thankful for our children and their spouses.

the last two months hospice came to the house three to four times a week and they will also come whenever you call them.

hospice will provide a special bed for home as well as a recliner chair that will help you automatically sit and stand up. Hospice will provide a lot of things some I can't remember right now.

I continue to keep you and your family in my heart and prayers.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

one thing more we were told that meds taken after transplant can cause more other illnesses and that John would have to have a feeding tube placed for the rest of his life. Every case is different though. 

All my best for you!

• Posted

Wonderful response. Thank you thank you.

I will process this. Nice heads up on feeding tube bit as that have been testing my esophagus and esophageal sphincter and all quite a bit. Freaky.

Take care, and thanks again.

es

• Posted

Hi Eric,

This is Cheryl again.  Just checking in to see how you are doing.  I'm still status quo, but I'll tell you something.....it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop.  You know that it's a progressive disease, but never know when it's going to take a nose dive.  Also, there is someone by the name of "Joe" who is on another area of this forum, and he has had a lung transplantation.  Search for PPFE on this forum.  His entry is the second one from the last.  He had a transplant at Cleveland Clinic three months ago, and I'm sure he could load you up with info!

Best wishes,

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi. Way sorry I was trying to get bac to you the day you wrote. Two days of stuff and then bang! Rectal bleeding (GI) and am in a hospital one finger typing at last. Colonoscopy in 9 hours and then ???

so kind of not replying to email much but reading it. But will be out of it a good deal tomorrow. 

Es

• Posted

Take care of first things first, and the GI thing is first at this point. And, You do very well with one finger typing!  Just want to send my best wishes and prayers your way today!  Take care, Cheryl
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl,

It has been 21 days since we corresponded here. The update from me is that after the GI bleed thing, I wasn't home but for a mere eighteen hours before chest pain and another ride to ER. So two cath lab visits and the doctors himing and hawing the second was for a stent. (Four now). So that was a pretty crummy week. On the other hand, I'm still around. I'll take what I can get!

Being on new blood thinners will possibly impact transplant list placement.Oddly that is fine with me. I just don't want to make that decision now - or any time frankly. Part of that is obviously because I am in relatively good health, even with those hospital visits accounted for. 

It appears there may be some important information I am lacking about the transplant thing. My wife read that one hospital told their candidates that they "must" apply for additional funding from charity or crowd-funding. What? Again, being just back and in a communicative frame of mind at last, I'll try to track down the fellow, Joe, you mentioned. 

I have say that I am getting tired of my own problems. I'd like to get into some other study or volunteer work, but the coughing is coming back making talking a hassle for everyone so the recommendation that I visit older people in need of conversation may not happen. Dang. I may pursue this anyway as I am suppose to listen and not talk so much anyway. Quite a challenge!

Regarding YOU, yeah, the limbo thing... It is a kind of familiar place for me anyway. I'm one of those guys that never transitioned from being a "becoming" person to a "being" person. I'd better hurry up. I am very concerned about running up a big medical tab and just being a useless person with a lot of doctor's appointments. I mean, Steven Hawking I am not. This of course leads into a rather deep and dark philosophical realm which you may not be interested in. But of late all of my reading is about death and dying the existence/non-existence of a god, origins of the universe an what not. I am trying to understand the concept of "nothing". I don't think the human brain is wired for that concept, although it appears that Zen is pretty content with the concept. 

Hey, I write a lot too. I guess we will have to make that OK. 

Later,

es

Oh, the cat Mr. Purple says hi. 

• Posted

Hi Eric,

I've been waiting to see a post from you.  Wow, you've been through the mill, that's for sure!  However, it sounds like you've come a long way, and things are looking good.  A year ago, my husband had a STEMI / Widow's Maker heart attack.  He had the stent thing and thankfully survived the whole episode.

I have read a little about the financial aspects of lung transplantation.  There are so many things to deal with when it comes to that type of complex procedure.  And, I can understand why.  Patient "Joe" posted some great messages on the forum that is all about PPFE.  He had a single lung transplant and offers much information to others.

I totally understand it when you say you are tired of your own problems.  I also feel like that way, but I'm still caught between being fed up and wanting to read the latest and greatest on pulmonary fibrosis, ILD, PPFE, etc.  Then, I get totally overwhelmed just reading all of this stuff, plus, I can get depressed after reading the articles.  And, that philosophical realm that you spoke of -- Oh yes, I too read a fair amount on that subject.  After all, it happens to us all and to all whom we hold so dearly. 

Mr. Purple looks totally contented or blase with the world.  Pretty (handsome) little thing, he is. 

Take good care, and very nice to hear from you,

Cheryl

• Posted

Hey Eric,

How are you??  Last time we communicated was about 6 months ago.  I hope the flu bug is staying away from you and yours!  While watching the news the last few days, I heard that the flu is running wild in California.  I hope the flu bug is staying away from you and yours.  Back in late October, I had the high dose flu vaccination, but as we know, that may not help much.  I hope your doing well.  If you have an opportunity, please let me know how things are going. 

Best wishes,

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi Eric - not from the UK, I am from Southern Appalachia, and my husband has IPF.  We think it was caused by the paint & body work he did in his twenties - you know young people, they think they will live forever, so don't take all the precautions they need to take when they do something potentially hazardous.  My husband was diagnosed almost 3 years ago, beginning with a routine chest x-ray.  His GP noticed his x-ray looked odd, so sent him to a pulmonologist, who did a CT scan, and confirmed the diagnosis.  My husband is now 67, still works every day, and is not on oxygen.  His lung function has diminished 3% since his diagnosis, and I believe it is all due to his medication.  There is a relatively new drug, called Ofev, and we qualified to receive it free of charge from the manufacturer.  There are side effects, but it really does seem to slow the progression.  It isn't a cure, but it does seem to be the most effective treatment available at this time.  The side effects can be pretty grim - mainly the diarrhea - but it's better than the alternative.  My husband has always been a force of nature, and I believe when he can no longer function normally, he will simply will himself to go - but for now, we are hoping he will live to see a couple of grandchildren come along.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.