When does facial bloating/swelling go away?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Wondering how long it will take for my face to look somewhat normal again as I'm being weaned off prednisone. Do you have to be off steroids completely for the swelling to go away or will swelling go away if you're on very low dosage? How long does it take once you're off the steroids for the swelling to start to decrease? I lost my job in Feb and need to start thinking about interviewing and trying to get a new job. Can't imagine going on an interview looking like a freak with my face really swollen.

Also wondering if anyone has any advice for the upset stomach caused by prednisone? I take Prilosec and directed but it's not helping with the stomach upset. Do you have any advice?

About me: I'm 53, live in VA, diagnosed in Dec 2016 after going to ER becasue I was coughing up blood. Just completed four rituxen infusions last month. Going thru the prednisone step down now and am currently taking 30 milligrams/day. Experiencing "withdrawl" symptoms of extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, light headed/dizzy. 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Don't ever worry about facial swelling or bloating. People who are worth working for see past all this and value you. A chronic illness is one small part of a person, don't let it define the wonderful person you really are.

• Posted

Hello hope all is well. I have severe swelling in my face and I quit cold turkey. I hope my face goes back to normal. I am hitting depression at this point. I eat clean and excersize, yet I cant lose weight. Please keep me posted on your progress.
    • Posted

dolores26994...please, don't ever quit cold turkey. You need to stay on the dosage the doctor prescribed for you and slowly wean yourself off of them. I was on 60 everyday and went down from there...now I'm taking 20 every other day. Never quit cold turkey.

• Posted

And it takes up to 3 months for the swelling to completely go away even after you quit. Plus I've heard horror stories from people who have quit cold turkey...just lower your dosage...and take it one step at a time

• Posted

Sounds like you are having the same thing as me after I took prednisone , it was a gradually process, as I lowered the dosage the less swelling in my face showed up.

I have heard it called "moon face".

I imagine each person is different, for me the swelling was gone completely about a week after I took my last pill.

And yes, I had the heartburn and stomach upset, also, my heartburn was so bad it was like a mock heart attack.  I started taking Lansoprazole, and that worked very well.  A little bit expensive, but well worth it, I got it at Walmart.

I am 81, had WG since Jan 2014, started with Pneumonia and test in the hospital showed I had Wengers's, Fatigue is my biggest enemy, along with muscle weakness.  Not taking any drugs at all now.  Had Rituxen twice now in 2015 and 2016. Now in Remission.

Good Luck.

• Posted

I agree!  Do not stop taking Prednisone cold Turkey!  Wean off slowly, your doctor will tell you how much and when, you while get deadly sick if you quit all at once.
  • Posted

I’ve been on prednisone for 3 years for RA. Had multiple random infections, a broken foot numerous different RA medications & of course the famous ‘moon face’ had not considered the feeling so crappie & moody was from this medication. Starting to dose down & would be thrilled to get off of it completely but who knows. My thoughts are with all of you going through the same treatment & side effects. Stay strong!

• Posted

hi smile

I'm 15 this year & I was diagnose with SLE ( systemic Lupus Erythematosus ) on August 17 2017 . It was a huge blow for me as I used to be a girl who is always out playing under the sun & I love sports and I'm in sports activities whenever the chances came. 2017 I was on 30mg and now 3 july 2018 I'm slowly progressing down to 10mg as I get infections really easily and I got admitted in for multiple times for infections . But no matter what we should all persevere on and keep smiling !!

• Posted

It depends, i would say normally in a few weeks. It depends though, because some parts of the body take less time and some more time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.