When I discontinue PPI, uncomfortable hearburn comes. Should I bear it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on different PPI (nexium only a few days, pantoprazole ~3 weeks, and omeprazole 1 week + an additional three days after a break). The first time, I ended the pantoprazole for the endoscopy and colonoscopy, I felt very good and had no side effects. After the first Omeprazole ended, I had dry eyes for a week (probably unrelated) and then suddenly had heartburn (hot feeling near the breastbone, no other areas effected).

I went back to the doctor and she gave me another week of Omeprazole but said I could end early. Last night (after 3 doses), I tried ending it but this morning had some heartburn in the same place again so I took the 4th - not sure but anxietyabout a return probably played a role as I could not sleep much).

According to the endoscopy, I have no erosion, ulcers or anything serious. The result was a mild gastritis and some polyps. No infection, which suggests a type C gastritis. The doctor says it seems to be nonerosive reflux. The whole thing started after eating spicy food and I had constipation and other strange feelings. 

So the question is, can I expect withdrawal / rebound symptoms to come after ending the current Omeprazole treatment and should I bear it (for three weeks or so) or should I return to the doctor if that happens? It is a really horrible experience and I wish to get over it as soon as possible as it affects my life (sleep, well-being, etc.)

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

don't start it coz if u do you will be hooked on it for very long time and end up taking it for life. i am suffering for more than 2 years now . i didn't aware it can cause rebound hyperacidity so at the beginning when i was getting hyperacidity i thought i have some digestive problem and started taking it again . its been more thn 8 mnths now i am trying to quit .

my advice don't take it again . u can quit it now but after 2-3 mnths it will be very very very hard . the rebound will be unbearable .

• Posted

I have read that you need to come off them slowly - I would open the capsule and take half for a few days then cut down gradually 

• Posted

I was prescribed 30mg but pour out half the capsule. I have tried reducing further but my pain returns. Sometimes I have to take a full dose again too, but at least I've cut it by half. Looks like I can't get any lower though. I've reduced the cost by 50% too :-) One capsule lasts two days...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.