wish i had never heard of lansoprazole

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been suffering from acid reflux for several years  and have just been taking indegestion tablets to help it,

but about a month ago i had a what can best be described as near death experience,sitting at my computer eating  my breakfast i all of a sudden belched and bought up a lot of acid bile and air into the back of my throat and just could not get rid of it and thought iwas going to choke to death but manage to cough and cleared it.

went to my local doctor told him and he put me on to the dreaded lansoprazole and my night mare began sure it got rid of the reflux acid but the side effects i have been going tghrough are as bad as what the reflux was i have had severe stomach pain,stomach cramps, and now going through a nasty bout of watery diahorea,and heart palpitations wish i had never heard of lansoprazole and had stuck to my indegestion tablets.

i have stopped taking them but now find out that that could be a mistake has anybody out there suffered  after coming off of them early,and what can i expect to go through  i am worried i have done the wrong thing HEEELP!!!!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ian, Who not do something about getting rid of these side effects? These medicines deplete your vitamins and minerals and the good flora in your stomach, you can put those back. The indigestion tablets are very different and will not stop the acid being produced. You will often find that if you stop taking them you have a bad stomach while it adjusts, that can take a while. Take fibre for the diarrhea,.
    • Posted

thanks carmel i will have to change my diet and eat healthier in the future.
    • Posted

Your welcome. Until I felt very ill I didnt pay any attention to it.
  • Posted

Hi IAN,  i HAVE BEEN ON LANSOPRAZOLE FOR 14 YEARS,  NOTHING ELSE SEEMS TO WORK, BUT i DO GET A LOT OF MUSCLE AND JOINT PAINS,At the moment I am going through a bad patch when nothing seems to help the Acid reflux.

Am seeing the Doctor on Tuesday,  but dont hold out much hope of a solution. 

The Capsules seem to scratch the Osophogus and I get a build up of the pills in my throat. Pat 

• Posted

Hi Patricia. You can do something about the aches and pains with diet, vitamins, minerals, vegetables. The doctor cannot do anything about that. It is also important to take live yoghurt or biotics regularly or your good blood cell count goes right down and then you can get all sorts.
    • Posted

Thanks Carmel,  What vitamins do you recommend?  I took some Herbal medicine for Arthritis and each time it put my BP up, this has made me wary of adding supplements.  Pat
    • Posted

The best thi8ng to do, Patricia, is research the medicines you take and why y ou take them. It takes time, there are no short cuts, and then see what is missing. What is right for you with your medication will be different to someone else. But generally speaking doctors do not understand or see any value in diet or vitamins and minerals etc so it iis no good asking them. If you are worried about your blood pressure look up supplements that help to lower it and choose one. Then you cover the arthritis and the blood pressure. It is like a jigsaw - you fit in a few pieces and then another piece does not fit so you move some pieces and it does.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.