1 Month Post THD Surgery - Haemorrhoids back?!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey,

I recently had THD surgery for my haemorrhoids and wanted to document my experience and open up discussion to share what they went through. For context, I am a 27 year old male who is fit and healthy. I am unfortunate enough to have the issue run in my family and I have been putting up with issues since about 20.

I had the surgery a month ago today and woke up with pain immediately. The nurse provided pain killers and that turned the pain into more of a dull ache. I was discharged to go home and initially had issues trying to pass urine. I managed to go in the hospital to avoid being catheterised but for about a week after surgery, it was a struggle. I found it most relaxing to have a shower and then my body would finally kick into gear. The pain remained quite severe for the first week and I found that ibuprofen / paracetamol worked better than codine. It was okay sitting or lying down but walking was a bit of a trial for the first week, although I made sure I got out of my flat for even just a few minutes.

I was given stool softeners to take for two weeks and this really helped keep me regular as i was scared of the potential pain of a bowel movement. I have been extra careful to ensure there has been no straining and only sitting for short periods.

All was looking to have been fantastic until just over two weeks after the op when I noticed a lump on my anus. This got progressively larger and became so painful three weeks after surgery when I had to work on my feet all

day. Since, I have been sitting as regularly as possible as standing can cause flare-ups and using over the counter cream. The lump does not get worse after bowel movements. I am terrified the piles have come

back, although this is worse than before as it's a permanent external lump that is sore. I will likely have to go to A&E as I tried to contact my surgeon but have had radio silence.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it improve over time?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i had a haemoroidectomy about 5 months ago, and 4 days after i developed a lump outside, i went to A&E as the pain was 10 out of 10, and i had problems urinating, they didnt do much, just gave me tablets to help me wee, after the pain settled about a week, my urinating became easier, im now 5 months post op, lumps still there, surgeon said its an external pile, may strink in time, it doesnt hurt now at all, urinating is fine, i says a week or 2 after lump shows up, it will ease alot, but i feel your pain, it was awful when it developed. all the best, Neil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.