1 week post op and feel I am not progressing as I want

Posted , 12 users are following.

i had my op last week and struggled with very very low blood pressure and have struggled with medication , it seems I am allergic to morphine based drugs and have had heavy cold sweats, headaches, sickness, my GP has said that I must get medication sorted before i worry about excercising ( i am able to do stairs easily ) I am constantly crying and feeling useless, i have my daughters wedding in 5 weeks ... 

4 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Firstly Polly I really wouldn't worry about exercises this early on, you need to focus on simply getting through the day. It is very early stages for you...and resting, sleeping, trying to eat and doing any exercises in bed whilst lying down is probably your best bet.

I was the same re allergic to morphine (and was given too much in hospital) so I know just how ghastly you are feeling, but it will settle down in time. I took paracetamol religiously and it builds up in the system and was actually enough for me to manage with the pain, it is suprisingly effective when taken every four hours. What are you taking now?

The low blood pressure is a problem, do make sure you keep someone with you at all times when using the stairs until it has stablised. Also when using the loo etc if you can, because it does sometimes cause fainting out of the blue.

In terms of your daughter's wedding it is a long way off, you will be so much better by then I promise. Even in the next week or two you will feel so much better than you do now. You WILL definitely be at the wedding, and although not dancing on tables all night, you will be feeling ready to enjoy a wonderful family occasion by then....really you will, five weeks is a long time to heal. Please do not rush your recovery. It will in the end backfire, because your body needs love and care and rest - okay. Rest, small leg raises, keep your legs moving, do everything you can without feeling like you are going to pass out, and no more pressure on yourself.....you need to be super kind to yourself for a little while longer yet.

Try water melon and fruit juices, drink lots of water and try the sachets which will replace your minerals and salts, these will be really good for you.

Promise not to think or talk about the wedding for at least another four weeks - and remember this is a major operation, you have been blessed to come out all fixed, and you will come through this patch, every day you will feel brighter and better, one day at time....

Big hugs. We all feel like you at some point - and we all get through it, you will too. Okay - take good care x

• Posted

Thank you for the wonderfully positive response,  I had no idea there was such help available from patients like me; I am on Paracetamol 500mg.  I will be religiously takingthem and will try and stop worrying about trying to run before i can walk x  I wish you success with your recovery x
    • Posted

You are going to be just fine, you may not feel it now, but give yourself time. Are your paracetamols okay? Are they working? Is it bearable?

There are morphine patches that do not go through the stomach but are put on the skin, you may find you are fine to have those, if you need them ask your GP to prescribe them (I had them pre op and they worked wonders) I don't know they are not used more often.....but I would recommend them if you are struggling.

You are doing so well, 1 week in already, next week you are going to feel so much better....come here for support and information, it is the nicest forum in the world, kind and helpful people are on here around the clock and in the same place as you/or have been there recently. It is a life line for many.

Have a good sleep today if you can, and look how far you have come already, you are out of hospital, you have managed so many hurdles already. Take care 

• Posted

i am so pleased to have found this forum, I agree, I feel amongst truly wonderful understanding friends.  I think life has a way of making us feel pressured to recover from all of lifes knocks so quickly.  I am reading all the responses with interest. thank you again
  • Posted

I was taking morphine before my surgery and when i first started i was getting sickness, dizziness, headaches and shaking so bad i could hardly stand. Eventually these effects wore off. I assume it was hecause my body wasnt used to it.

Also dont push yourself. Just because others can at 1 weeks doesnt mean you can. Im just over 2 weeks post op and im non weightbaring and so on. I cant even lift up my own leg. Dont push your body to do stuff it cannot handle. It will only make matters worse.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I will head your words of wisdom,  please continue to get better your self xx

• Posted

I hope you do. I see a lot of post like yours. You have had a big op. Your not going to be running around or so on anytime soon. Just take it easy
  • Posted

Your GP is right. You need to sort out your meds and get rest. You've just had a huge operation, and a bit of walking every day is enough. The blues is a normal knock-on effect of such huge trauma to the body. Cry, let it out. In 5 weeks' time you'll feel like a different person, I promise. You won't be dancing on the tables yet, but you'll be a lot stronger. The first 2-3 weeks are the worst and after that you recover by leaps and bounds
    • Posted

Thank you Annie,  I am now much more calm and resigned to getting better more slowly,  I am doing a little bit each day and when the crying stops the laughter will start, i appreciate your lovley guidence thank you
  • Posted

Pollute so sorry for all your going through I had very low blood pressure following the surgery from the spinal I was give so they monitored me while in the hospital now back to normal on no. I just had six week post op visit because of my concerns about the pain and aching in the thigh and leg and groin are all are signs of healing I give it a few weeks you will feel better every day😊My daughter is also getting married and that was a big concern to me since I am a bridesmaid in her wedding but the surgeon has said I will be good for the wedding so think positive and I know that's. It easy at this stage. I'm here if you need anything hun
    • Posted

how wonderful that you are going to be a bridesmaid and how concerend you must have been about continued aching,  I wish you the happiest of ddays and will use you as my inspiration xx

• Posted

Ty Pollye, being in my daughters wedding has been my goal for getting better. i know you are going to feel so much better at your daughter's wedding take it easy and enjoy😊
  • Posted

It's just your first week, the first two are the worst, but you have been pulled, pushed, twisted and cut, hammered, sawed it takes time but you will get there.  Emotions do take over, just let them go don't bottle them up, when it's your daughters wedding, you will be crying tears of happiness and you will feel much better.

Don't try to do too much at the moment when you have low blood pressure, don't want you fainting.

Everyone heals at different rates and a lot depends on the way they cut you too.

Take care

Lynn xx

• Posted

Thank you Lyn,  what you have said makes so much sense,  I will heed your kind words of wisdom , thank you
  • Posted

Hi Polly, although I was not allergic to the opiates, they made me feel really sick and gave me horrible nightmares so I stopped taking them and stuck to paracetamol and anti inflammatories and just tried to rest as much as possible.

Everyone I have spoken to since my operation 9 weeks ago (doctor, physiotherapists, other hippies) have all emphasised that the first 6 weeks are all about healing. Rest, rest and more rest. Sleep whenever possible and try to eat well, including lots of lean protein and then rest some more. Of course you need to move about a bit but don't start putting pressure on yourself to exercise as this will come later.

As for your daughter's wedding, you will be well enough by then to enjoy the day. You may tire a bit mor easily and need to take a couple of props with you (like a crutch or 2 and a foam cushion to sit on) and not be able to wear high heels but none of that will matter. Despite getting a femoral fracture during my hip surgery surgery which is slowing down my recovery (I was non weight-bearing for the first 6 weeks) I managed to spend the whole day at my daughter's first Communion at 7 weeks post op. Yes I was on crutches and had to sit in a chair instead of a pew in Church and my shoes weren't the most glamorous but I had a lovely day with my family and that's all that matters.

1 week is very early in your recovery and in another week or 2 you will be feeling a lot better. The worst is definitely behind you!

• Posted

What a wonderful message of positivity.  To take so much time to make me feel better is simply inspiring.  thank you so much
    • Posted

We've all had our ups and downs and needed the encouragement. My husband would tell you what a miserable grump I was when I got out of hospital! It will all be a lot better soon :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.