1 week post op and feel I am not progressing as I want

Posted , 12 users are following.

i had my op last week and struggled with very very low blood pressure and have struggled with medication , it seems I am allergic to morphine based drugs and have had heavy cold sweats, headaches, sickness, my GP has said that I must get medication sorted before i worry about excercising ( i am able to do stairs easily ) I am constantly crying and feeling useless, i have my daughters wedding in 5 weeks ... 

4 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

PS Everybody cries in the first couple of weeks. My Consultant told me that

even the big, burley rugby player men have a good sob after major surgery!

• Posted

Can only reiterate what everyone else has said Polly , its very early days yet but it will all get better . I had very low BP after my 2nd hip surgery which made me feel ill, and although not allergic I react unfavourably to the stronger morphine meds. Paracetamol aline cannot be controlling your pain much at the moment so no wonder you are feeling so miserable. Your daughters wedding is some weeks away yet and I promise you,ll be feeling a lot better by then. I,m impressed you can manage stairs so well so early - well done you. You are not useless , you are the mother of the bride ! Have you got your outfit sorted ? Xxxxxxxps big hugs 
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind response, it has made me smile again,  my confidence is rising so bless you for that xxx
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, I feel better just knowing that there are so many positive patients out there who have not only had the op but are recovertng in just the same way as myself xx
  • Posted

I nearly fell down within 5 steps of my first walk because my blood pressure was so low .... It happens
  • Posted

Other than the low blood pressure I felt the same way in the first week. I am now 5 weeks post op and could definitely have a great time at a wedding. I even feel like I could do some dancing (if it weren't for my other hip thats waiting for a THR).

Just hang in there, things will start getting better every week from now on.

• Posted

We all want to run before we are able - we think we are cured, when we are really still in early recovery.

I see you have a lot of info here from others, so best wishes with your recovery, and look forward to your daughter's wedding.

Graham - 🚀💃 

• Posted

Hi

i can sympathise with how you are feeling.  It's only a week since your op and at that stage I was told it's too soon to tell. After 2 days in the hospital I refused the morphine based drugs because they made me sick.  I survived on paracetamol and have since been given codeine as well for my swollen foot.

i am now 14 weeks post op and I'm practically off drugs.  You should be feeling a lot better for your daughters wedding.   Keep your head up and think positive and I hope you have a good time.

Good luck

Brenda X

• Posted

hi,,, 1 week post op is .... not much post op... and 5 weeks is along time from now, and will be a real distance from where u are in your recovery... rest, eat well, get your strength back.. because of your pain med situation, i would lean on the make exercise thing lightly... dont fight through the pain.. heal through it... i had my first HTR 5 weeks before our son' wedding cause I was hurt'n for certain, and I got ordained .... to do the wedding at their request... all went off well... you will ge great by then,,,, mend well and prosper.....
    • Posted

Thank you, I am now 13 days post op, just had my staples out and pain relie under control,  I feel 100% better than I was 1 week ago so onwards and upwards,  I am moving around but not going mad,  every day is a day closer to being back to normal. x  Congratulations on your sons wedding 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.