10 and a half months post op.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all doing well and making progress.

Having reached 10 & 1/2 months post-op for A&P repairs I had hoped to be almost back to what I would consider normal; that is able to run my household without help and back doing most low impact exercise, and able to cope with some overtime at work.

Sadly every time I think I'm making headway I end up back at square one; square one being just about coping with my 2 x 5 hour shifts, still only coping with short walks with lots of stops and resting and still not able to do too many household chores in one day.

As some of you know had novo-virus last week and we worried had weaken pelvic floor but as I recovered all seemed to be well and no damage done.

Done my Sunday shift - couple of hours on my feet and rest of shift on seat at checkout - all went well.

Went to work today and most of shift spent on chair unsuitable for job, had no wheels to all in movement, can't get chair close enough to allow support when packing. If you position it close enough then theirs no room to squeeze onto seat, and if to far away you can't get your number to the back of the seat and be near enough to work the till. So you end up overstretching without support.

Anyway back at square one shifting weight without support and back arched resulting in pelvic floor being really painful, sharp achy pains inside vaginally area, and perineum area burning.

Home now with feet up but feel that every time I get set backs like this and have to rest up is like days of my life being stolen from me!

Getting fed up with my long term health being put at risk and for what other than lining someonelse's pocket; why can't a large multimillion pound company supply decent supporting seats for their employees?

Stood for most of my last hour at work even though i had managed to get a good seat by then as i was too sore to sit. Couldn't sit on my bum at all when I got home had to go horizontal. Haven't been like thus bad since early days post-op.

Wishing I hadn't went back to this job now; maybe my expectations have been to high? I suppose after two separate repair ops my pelvic floor is bound to be weaker than after first op and maybe I should have allowed longer recovery for posterior op before returning.

I know I should be positive and be saying to myself that things could be much worse, at least my repairs are holding up and oddly enough my pelvic floor exercises still feel strong. I would have been in a very sorry state right now if it wasn't for the wonderful surgery done by my surgeon all thanks to our wonderful NHS. Without surgery my prolapse would have been protruding outside by now and very painful limiting me in lots of ways and probably would have been unable to work at all and would have been almost house bound.

Anyhow back to the quandary as to what else I can do !!!

Feeling lost,

Phyl x

2 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello phyl I was just thinking of you over the last couple of days and wondering how you were. It's difficult to know what to suggest because you've done everything right. Have you recently had a blood test, full blood count, thyroid function and liver function? 😘

• Posted

Hi Matron,

Thank you for reply. Hope you are well and managing to avoid all these nasty viruses doing their rounds.

Not had anything done recently, still waiting for referal for physio for back problem's which I'm sure I still don't have but may soon if we don't get new chairs soon in work.

I'm sure my thyroid is due a check soon, looking forward to that to see if levels are disrupted by estriol.

That novo-virus really floors you, so probably a little run down by that. Had been looking a bit grey white for a number of weeks leading up to that but think we all get like that in the winter. Got my colour back today but really tired still.

Bloods should be good eating my porridge, wholemeal bread and oranges. Making omelettes with mushrooms and tomatoes. Replacing 1 meal with smothies loaded with everything and anything fruit and green and snacking on almonds.

Getting my oily fish and broccoli, and the virus put an end to my sweet tooth snacking. So doing well.

Was really badly dehydrated with virus and was into 5th day before my urine was starting to look normal even though I had been drinking lots on day 3 and 4. Still getting an odd pee here and their looking too strong, which is unusual for me, I'm normally almost clear.

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi phyl. By some miracle I've avoided any viruses which is unusual for me at this time of year. I'm usually ill at New Year! Instead it's my back problem which is causing me dreadful pain. I got 2 hours sleep last night because of it but never mind it could be worse. Your diet sounds really healthy, I think I need to follow suit and lose some weight, it could help my back problems. I have put some on since retiring. Please take care phyl xx

• Posted

Hi matron,

Any ideas on what sit down job I can do.my consultant has advised about doing a job on feet all day.he doesn't think its good after a repair.my only jobs I've done are hairdressing and shop work.none are the best for perlviuc floor are they😕

• Posted

That's a difficult one to answer welshgirl but your consultant is correct to a certain extent in the early days but usually ladies can go back to their original job. Sitting for long periods is sometimes just as uncomfortable, I found that so I had to walk around every hour. I suppose you could be a receptionist perhaps in a hairdressers then you would be sat but able to stand and walk around if you are showing customers to a seat. I can imagine hairdressing could be difficult because you tend to stand still for long periods. Part time may be an option.

• Posted

Thats good idea matron, e receptionist at a hairdressers. I'll keep looking on the jobsites. My problem is I'm very cautious now r the first one. I found out too thast my first consultant tends to do generic repairs unlike my new one.he works in the individual. X

• Posted

So sorry Matron to hear that your back problem is flaring up just now, probably all this damp weather not helping. Not at all easy to deal with constant pain and even worse when you don't get your sleep.

Despite eating healthy meals I am still too heavy, not putting on weight but no losing it either. I snack on crisps, maltezars, ice cream and cream cakes in the evenings - more from boredom than anything else - have tried cutting back and have made some headway but mainly because I'm just making myself ill with acid damage. Anyway virus has left me with tummy still tender so still not eating huge main meal have cut back to smaller portions. Main meal usually organised by hubby so depends what he buys sometimes healthy sometimes to suit the kids more. Really difficult to shift weight and know that it is not good to carry excess weight puts pressure on pelvic floor. If only I could go running would soon shift.

Swimming pool was closed for mainranance just before Xmas and then holidays prevented me going, then the virus but hoping to get back this week sometime.

Hope your back pain settles down soon, Take care,

Phyl x💖

• Posted

That is a great suggestion, you would be great, always thought you sounded like a great people person and having worked in salons would not need any training.

Phyl x

• Posted

Thanks phyl,yes I loive people,so outgoing and friendly.. A right chatterbox lol.xx
    • Posted

Take it as a positive thing welshgirl. It's lovely to see you so active on the forum again 😘

• Posted

Ahh love I know its very disponding when we feel like this.you have been so strong hunjust keep going and you will get there. I know what you mean about work.I'm doing 4full days this week on my feet and tonight I'm dying. I know now I must look for a sit sit job but just don't know for the life of me what. Its so easy said than done I think. Please keep positive hun your doing brilliantly. Lots of love xx xx

• Posted

Thank you so much welshgirl for your very positive and encouraging reply. I can't even begin to imagine how you are coping being on your feet for 4 full days. You should be limiting how much you do to limit any further damage.

Hope you've got your feet up too,

Phyl x💖

• Posted

Its hard but I need the money so I can take time off for op.its a very viscous circle love. Tske it easy love. Im off tomorrow thank god xx
    • Posted

Its 51/2 hrs really taking lunch off.. Its noir to bad because if I do a12-6 I tend to sit down from 3as the manager goes home then which is OK.I work in a small ladies shop so not much lifting just standing which can be as bad. I'm in a quandary as to whaswhast job I can do. If I was a professional and the main earner it would be a no no to change jobs but thankgod my hubby is the professional and I'm just a shop worker😖. If I had my Hubby's job (police) I'd never cope and have to leave. I'm stuck really.what happens yo people who have hernias do they have to change jobs?xxxx

• Posted

One of the ladies I work with , had a hernia op and it failed so she is waiting to have it redone, I don't know how she copes as she is one of the key holders and is on her feet every shift for whole shift, very rarely ever see her sit down.

She has seen consultant and they don't seem to be in a hurry to redo it too soon, can't remember why, she did say at the time but was baffled herself at being left just now.

She is around same age as me so not easy.

Phyl x

• Posted

I guess there are no guarantee in life with anything hun are there? Just saw my robin in the garden that's put a smile on my face.sometimes this prolapse. Lark is to overwhelming for me😖.xx

• Posted

Know what you mean, I've been watching my spring bulbs shoot up including some new ones I planted back at end I'd autumn, already spotted a bud on my crocus and one or two snowdrops budding now. Keeps us all going till spring

X?

• Posted

Hi phyl, hope you doing OK. I am wondering if you prefer the estriol cream over the vagifem? I asm on vagifem but matron said the estriol is absorbed better. Would like your view on this love if ok. I did start the estriol but found it messy. Take care lovely.xx
    • Posted

Hi Welsh girl,

Cannot comment on comparison as only ever used 'estriol' , actually thought they were the same thing.

GP gave me a tablet form to insert but found it was not breaking down and didn't seem to absorb very well. Now using cream which as you say is very messy but think that absorbs better and help moisturise tissue.

Oddly it also seems to cause my abdomen area to blow up/layer fat stores as I find the longer I'm taking it I seem to get fatter. In contrast once I give it a break I gradually slim down again. Not sure if it is because I am also taking synthetic hormone thyroxine and is interfering with that.

Sure I'm due a check soon for thyroxine levels, have been really tired recently but that might just be winter blues/lethargy. If it is upsetting throxine levels may have to switch to something else.

There is also vagisan which is a non-hormone based moisturiser, not sure if that would be any good as it would only moisturuse, wouldnt help with thinning walls problem but may be worth a try.

Matron will know best as she will be in the know with regard to lots of other people's experiences.

As for how i am I think I feel better. It's strange and doesn't make sense at the moment but down below don't feel so tight. Been pottering around catching up with things and seem to be on my feet more often and for longer periods without any lower pelvic discomfort, no pain , no heaviness, doing my walk and shopping later all much easier without problems. It's as if it has slackened of without any sagging. But when I sit down I start getting really deep achy discomfort in pelvic floor, makes me feel sick. Been making sure I'm sitting on good supporting chair at home but just the same.

So not sure what is going on , wondering if it is possible that in earlier months I've rested too much - if that is possible - resulting in healing up too tight and all that heaving being sick has slackened things off? It just feels right/fine walking about - even hubby remarked on way home from supermarket tonight that I hadn't complained once, unusal at end of long day.

If this is a major step forward in the right direction then I will be very happy.

Not sure what is going on in sitting position now, a bit worrying, but hoping this will sort itself.

Phyl x💖

• Posted

Your nearly at the top of the mountain love.you can do it so keep doing all the right things. Phyl thank you lovely. I know what your mean about the tablet I feel I can feel it inside if I use coconut oil to soothe

Coming back a boird next time.lots of lovexx

• Posted

Hi Phyl I'm happy you're better, as for the tightness, my physio told me once that it's better to feel a bit tight, cos the surgeons look for tightness on the walls of the vagina in order to support better the organs.

As for tightness in the vagina itself, I know what you are speaking about, I guess it will get back to normal with time (I hope!)

What I have ti say about resting is that it is good to rest but if you rest a lot your muscles in your whole body gets weak and that's what happened to me after my first surgery. Afterwards I felt tired all the time!

This time with the rectocele surgery I'm resting but I manage to go out to run errands every other day and I'm planning cycling as soon my dr allows me to do it cos I don't want to happen the same!

Hugs honey!!!

• Posted

Hi Hijadeonagro,

Thank you for your input on this it is much appreciated.

What you have said makes sense, maybe now is the time for me to work on building up muscles with other low impact exercise now.

I think maybe been to protective over repairs this time round, so difficult to get a balance between too little and too much and I got such a fright when overdoing time on my feet at work and that did put me back quite a bit.

So on and upwards now, maybe I will make a start on that cycling as soon as the weather gets a bit dryer. We have great cycle paths nearby, a bit wet and muddy just now but hopefully weather will improve soon.

Think I have done the opposite to you, first time round I was on my feet pretty quickly and was doing long walks with daughter, her dog and grandchildren while she was on maternity leave. Also was doing most of household chores in early months. I was back cycling and swimming very early on and did not have the same problems that I've had this time round. Think because I had slight prolapse almost right away again it would not have been so tight that time.

This time maybe just went too far the other way. Anyhow think it's maybe time to persevere with building up deeper muscles.

How are you doing yourself, don't be overdoing things this time, be careful and try and get a good balance between rest and exercise; it's so difficult the concept of 'listen to your body' but it is the only way to judge what is right for ourselves. Just be really careful in early weeks/months during the important healing stages.

Take care,

Happy healing x💖

• Posted

Hi Phyl! I'm fine, I went today to my doctor, I had an infection and it seems that it's still there, they are taking a sample of my discharge next Monday cos they don't find the proper medicine to cure the infection (firstly treated with metronidazol, later with flukonazol and the last try has been blastoestimulina (commercial name here in Spain). It takes 2 weeks to get the results... things are very slow in Spain... but I'm happy cos at last I'm going to know what I have down there! Hugs!!!!!

• Posted

Don't know why everything has to take so long th check, one of the other ladies had recurring infection and they had to grow a culture so they could find something to cure it .

Sounds like they are going to do something similar, hope they get it all sorted soon for you.

Healing hugs 💖x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.