14 months since surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm 34, married with 2 kids and had a hydrocele on the left side since i was about 15 size of which grew to size and shape of a big pear. Was always conscious of it sticking out when wearing pants. Embarrassing but wasn't enough to make me go under. What pushed me over the edge is continuous discomfort of having this liquid pressure, not being able to lay/sleep on my stomach, and knowing that I could enjoy sex more.

About 14 months ago after reading forums and doing research on urologists, I finally decided to do it. I don't regret at all. I've read horror stories as well as good ones and was hoping to be on the good side. Everything is good now and I totally recommend it.

Quick overview of my experience . My wife drove me to hospital and was waiting with me there. Waiting is the worst part. Finally I was given a gown, talked to a knock out artist and moved to surgery room. Got on the bed, counted to 3 and was out. Woke up in a recovery room asking for more drugs. Was told the surgery was 2 hours. After recovering for a few hours and peeing we went home. It didn't hurt to pee and nothing was stuck in me to induce this process which I was worried about as I read that some had. I got pain killers on the way home but never used a single one - all ice. Laid back with feet up and ice on and off it. A few days later took cover off and scar was gruesome - wife was shocked. It's all good now - can't even see it unless really searching for it. I had it closed (no drainage tube). It felt so good not to have that water balloon any more. I took 2 weeks off from work for entire thing and was good to go after (desk job). My advise is do it but do a good research on doctors. I have insurance so it only cost me $100 for copay. Good luck to all.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello what about the size? is it normal as original one?
    • Posted

Sack as a whole looks totally normal.
    • Posted

They say it takes up to six months to come back normal, is that righ? Because I'm 4 months Of Post op. And the size of my left one is 2x normal one
    • Posted

From my experience, sounds about right but I think it also depends on the size and conditions of original hydrocele. Mine is now slightly bigger than the other but it also has skin that was inverted during surgery. There is no surgery that makes anything look like new but it's close enough.
    • Posted

Im 8 months post second surgery and my nut is still 2 1/2 times its normal size and it feels like it weighs a ton.The backside of the testicle still looks swollen as you can see the outline of what im assuming is the epididymis theres not much pain but it does get sore from the weight of it (have to wear briefs cant wear boxers anymore) I'm curious as to when the size of yours stabilized because as of right now I am p*ssed and going for a second opinion.
    • Posted

Mine stabilized before 8th months for sure. Can't say exactly when but somewhere around 4th or 5th month. I could feel it in a sack and it's been a little less than 1.5 size of the lucky one ever since. I'd talk to a doctor - 2.5 the size of the other at this point seems like a red flag to me.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, does it feel heavy? Mine still feels meaty and still hangs really low I cant compare it to my other one as I dont have one lol I had torsion as a teen and had to have it removed. I have an implant but since I had it put in as a teen it was always smaller than the real one as insurance wouldnt cover getting an adult sized one which is why this whole ordeal is that much more stressing.
    • Posted

It feels normal. Can't really relate to your situation to give you better insights. I can only explain by comparison to a lucky side. I guess if yours is regular size and doesn't bother you then there is nothing to worry about. It's a ball so there will be some weight on it. One thing about mine which seems to be normal is that it's attached to something so it doesn't drop to the bottom which is kind of comfortable.
    • Posted

I have an appointment for a second opinion on Tuesday I was trying to gauge to what degree the size/wight of mine is to that of someone who had a "successful" outcome, thank you for the info.
  • Posted

Hey Guy,

​Its good to let others know that they should have the surgery. I am 2 weeks post surgery and also have positive results. The thought of this surgery is worse than the actual surgery. Be well.

• Posted

I'm 18 days post surgery. Swells my is down considerably and incision is almost healed. I'm SO glad to get rid of that pear. Self-esteem and sex had become tremendously better.
    • Posted

It's still about 50% bigger than the other, is harder to the touch around it that feels like there is scar tissue. My girlfriend works in thoracic surgery and said that not only was the tissue around the testicle stretched and manipulated, but like stiched internally. I don't see my surgeon for another 2 weeks, but I would be content if it stayed just as it is, although I was told it would take a few of months to settle into "normal". As long as it doesn't come back, and I can resume normal activity without pain, I will be thrilled with the outcome. Last week I had some heavy feeling days due to the heat and had to ice that night. The next day, I went back to the jock all day and that totally helped and took my mind off of it. I'm noticing improvement every day! Hiked 5 miles of mountainous trails yesterday without issues. Feel fine today. Be patient as everyone had unique experiences. Be well...
  • Posted

Dude take it slow! I recently had prostrate surgery, felt great and pushed it around the house painting,etc . This can result in scar tissue which is what my Dr. attributes to my seal problem. give it time or at least a few weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.