2 days post op

Posted , 14 users are following.

This is my first day home. I am so tired and sore. Keep watching all of your posts with interest. Thank you so much for sharing all your experiences. Any encouragement is much appreciated.

Sandra.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You've got this Sandra, each day you will see improvements, changes for the better. I remember being 2 days post op was 6.5 weeks ago. Each day, each step it will get better. Rest as much as you can, nap when ever you can. xoxoxxo wishing you improvement with every step! Annette

• Posted

I had my replacement five months ago. Recovery was tedious at times as well as frustrating but this week my husband grumbled that I am now like a "b**** gazelle" when we are out walking and he can't keep up with me. It made me smile as I had become so slow and cumbersome before the operation. Do your exercises, take lots of rest and DON'T overdo it once your six weeks are up. I overdid it at 10 weeks and it put me back a full six weeks or more. Never mind, I am fine now and happily walk six or seven miles or more. It was all worth it. Good luck with your recovery!

• Posted

Hi Stephen glad to hear your doing so well

now I'm 11 weeks post op tlhr still uncomfy

around hip area and pain when driving ,how did you manage to hurt yourself and put yourself

back ? Hugs xxxx

• Posted

Glad you're home Sandra. It seems like the best advice from a soon to be THR Hippy is get plenty of rest and follow doctor's orders!

Kristen

• Posted

Listen to your body. As others say rest, do your exercises. Make sure you rest for 2hours every afternoon on the bed. Your body needs it. I was in hospital 5 days and discharge team that came out to me over a few days were brill. I was feeling not get anywhere but they encouraged me and gave me a cuddle. WE all heal at different rates. Took me 6months to actually feel well again but a year on I can't believe the difference in me. Love my hip it moves so freely compared to the old one and I don't wake up stiff anymore. Xx

• Posted

Take each day slowly, each day is different.   Plenty of rest, do not try to run before you can walk.  

This site is wonderful if something is worrying you... just ask and you will get an answer and support.   We have all been there... 

• Posted

You will be tired and as one of my girls says in the office "I am in a mucking fuddle" (That's when the brain has had enough!) . So as everyone here says rest rest rest when that body tells you and you must do the exercises. It will get better believe me as I am nearly 7 weeks post op. This is my second hip replacement and every day gets better. Good luck :o)

• Posted

Thank you Polly and everyone for your advice and kind thoughts. Xx
    • Posted

Hey Polly, How are you, I am sae day as you, 7 weeks yesterday, I just walked and realized no pain, no limp at all, feet swollen and cankes but no limp!  How are you doing??  Huggs Annette ( oh and no pain meds)
    • Posted

Great to hear from you. I only limp when getting up from sitting. Feel really well but tend to overdo it now and again when I am on my feet too long. I am taking next week off work and will then go back for a few hours each day. How are you finding it back at work. Hope you are not so tearful now. I can't believe it has been 7 weeks and we have done well haven't we! I am going through a few family issues at the moment so your message has given me a lift thank you :o) Take care

• Posted

Hi Sandra,  Welcome.  I didnt get sent home from the hospital for 10 days.  I am in awe of you that get to come home so early.  It has been a little over 3 months since i had my surgery and i still experience a lot of soreness.  I do my pt daily, and try to walk as much as possible without my cane, as my dr. urged me to do at last visit.  I think because i am 74 it is taking me  a lot longer to heal than some of you young whippersnappers lol.  Hang in there if your Dr. let you go home he must thing you are progressing to that point.

• Posted

Good luck Connie.

There are so many variables affecting: surgical approach used in the thrwait times, days in hospital, immediate and long term recovery.

Years of damage on our joints pre op, other health conditions, type of anaesthetic used, success of the operation itself, and self-care post-op all play into how we do.

Recovery with my first thr was slow, (I did not bounce back from the anaesthetic for weeks) and my strength was compromised as well. This slowed down my recovery quite a bit (not to mention several sad life events in our family).

I am 7 days post-op, and recovery feels so much better

I've come to believe that oNE of the key factors for successful recover (beyond a good surgeon and patient commitment to protocols) is to hAve god enervy in your life - whether through a good famity and network of friends, or a high interest in a hobby, volunteer organisation, church or the arts). In other words, let your passions distract you and pull you through the tough parts of your recovery and into regular life.

I hope this becomes the case for you.

Take care,

Big hugs,

L

• Posted

Hi Sandra: Just remember that it will get better and better. You are so new in the healing process. Try not to get to discouraged as we all seem to come to that point at one time or another. Some days may feel as if you are not making progress and then other days you will be saying "yea! I couldn't do that yesterday". It is all baby steps, but remember each step forward is improvement. So many of us were not familiar with the healing process (including myself with the first replacement), and I had some mis-interpretation of what it would really be like. Of course I had high expectations and was quite let down when I found out it was a lot more than just getting over the pain. I thought I would be walking and moving better immediately...it isn't that way. It takes time but that time will come and you will feel so much better and be so much happier. Wishing you well....Barb

• Posted

Hi Sandra.

Just be patient and know it will slowly get better.Its not like getting your appendix out wher you heal up and you kind of over it.Its definitely more work,.Rest your body,don't let yourself get too uncomfortable.The pain meds allow you to move,and the movement is very important.Let yourself heal ,don't overdo it. Be patient,Be well.Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.