2 days post op

Posted , 14 users are following.

This is my first day home. I am so tired and sore. Keep watching all of your posts with interest. Thank you so much for sharing all your experiences. Any encouragement is much appreciated.

Sandra.

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi sandra, 

wonderful responses here - 

You are not alone anymore, just come back here any time you have a question, concern or just want to chat, okay ?

you are doing great - keep doing what you are doing and be very gentle with your self

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hey Sandra

I had both hips replaced 8 weeks apart earlier in the year and the first week or two is the worst everything is uncomfortable especially sleeping on your back and going to the toilet. I just kept doing the bits of physio they gave me to do every day and practiced just walking about the house a lot. A lot of people need there walking aids but l think l ealked about the house so much without them as soon as l got home l never really needed to use them but everyone is diffrent you might not feel steady enough yet to do it but try moving about as much as possible as it gets the blood circulating again around your wound. It gets better honestly by week 4 l was begging my surgeon to do the other side as l felt my new hip was strong enough to take the weight. Its amazing how much diffrence a week makes. Still take as much pain meds as needed don't sit in pain it to near your op to stop taking painkillers. And if you are still really sore you are maybe not on strong enough ones. I was released with oxycodone which is morphine tablets which l needed and tramadol. I can't take nsaids so it was all painkillers that had no asprin in them. I also had dihydracodine which made me feel dizzy so they got changed to co-codamol. That was only for the first few week then l stopped them and keot on the oxy and tramadol l could not have coped without them. But Sandra a few more days and you will notice it getting better. Just hang in there you will have good and bad days but you do get better. As l said 4 weeks post op l was driving again able to walk a few miles and the pain l had been in the year prior was almost gone only my other hip was still sore so l had it replaced 8 weeks after 1st. This op was totally diffrent easier l could move my leg right away and again l healed quite quick. But that was not it for me my knees started getting painful l was sent for xrays and it turns out l had OA in both knees and they needed replaced to. I am now nearly 6 weeks post op from my 1st knee replacement and this was the hardest op l have had out the 3 l still am in a lot of pain but l was told that the knee replacement is much sorer and harder to recover than the hip but l did not beleive it until l have had it done and give me a hip replacement anyday other than knee. I still have to get my other knee done but l need a break from surgery so l am having half a year to a year if l can manage before l get it done and going back to work.

So l hope thus helps hun l would say the hip replacements are the best thing l have had done my new hips are great. Can't say that about my knee yet as am still healing and in pain. But give it a week and you will notice a massive diffrence.

Good luck and hang in there

Laura x

• Posted

God Laura. Your brave. You've been through the mill. I couldn't take the Oxy it knocked me sick for two days but got tramodol before am and paracetamol and pain not too bad. First few days home and getting used to things. However everyone says the same about the exercise so will stick with it. Many thanks for your advice.

• Posted

Welcome to the world's best forum. Truly with the most generous and well informed group and supportive.

I am day 6 after my 2nd through and doing reasonably well.

I won't repeat the great advice above.

I think social interaction and music have been absolutely key to surviving the great thr journey. Be clear with friends and family about how to help - esp in coming days when the challenge of finding a comfortable sitting arrangement becomes more and more acute. Not even the most ardent follower of activity and physio and rest recs can escape this - so you need distractions and cold packs and probably in equal measure.

This is all 'doable' but there is alsomno reason to maker it rougher!

Let us know if (when) something be-devils you. Between us we will come up with lots of opinions and good advice and support. So .. no point in suffering in silence.

With big hugs.

It will get easier,

L

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I had both done together just coming up 6wks.   I still use my crutches to walk around outside, and one around the home.

Some days I even walk around without, but due to my knees I am not stable enough..  

I will need my crutches to stay around until I am brave enough to have the knees done but over many years they have become my friends.. lol.

Hope you had a good day, stay strong..  it will all take time. 

• Posted

That feels very, very brave and while it is done sooner overall, I am not sure how well I would coped if my recovery followed the pattern of my first thr - deep mental fog, nausea, nightsweats constantly and restless legs. It was rough trying to sleep.

While a bilateral was originally considered, it was judged too risky due to advanced osteoporosis in several joints and discs. I hope touch are managing well.

Big hugs,

L

• Posted

Day 4 post op. Yes the mental fog and the nausea was awful. That has cleared now. I find I am more comfortable on the top of the bed with a loose snuggle blanket as I get to hot and the restless legs.

I get up and dressed during the day for an hour at a time and try to walk around a bit. Think I overdid the exercises yesterday as I seem more sore today and can't be doing with any of those strong painkillers. They make me feel worse. I suppose it's just a matter of accepting the healing process. I don't think I would relish the thought of another hip replacement. It is all pretty awful. Still 4th day coming up and I'm surviving. Husband not much of a nurse bless him but doing his best. What cannot be cured must be endured so they say lol

• Posted

I bought a pet 'cool mat' online and although I didn't have to use it much this time around - it does work well if you use it on and off. ...

I got one that is 18" x 24" online thru amazon for ~$25 and I am happy with it.

Good luck and gentle hugs.

L

• Posted

Morning Sandra well done lots of rest ,lots of

dozzy little naps you'll need them ,I myself in

those early days used to nap all the time your

body needs all this to help repair the Major

Surgery you have been through(brave girlie).

How are you getting on sleeping on your back?

Don't forget those exercises and I wish you

nothing but the best in your recover.Hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi Anna. Thanks for asking. Start of day 4. Yes lots of naps. Doing my excercices. Operated leg painful but to be expected. You can't go through a brutal op without pain. I am getting dressed in the mornings and getting up for short periods. Reading and a bit of tv.

Sort of getting used to the sleeping on back. I prop up with a V pillow. Sleep on top of bed with a light throw. If I wake take some pain relief and I normally nod off again.

Think it's just about accepting the process. My hubby is doing his best but he is pretty hopeless lol. I'm normally a perfectionist but just letting it all go over my head. Hey what can't be cured must be endured. This too will pass. Some really bad stories on this forum. Poor people been through so much. Thanks again

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra!

I have been home since last Wednesday, so I am pretty 'new' as well.  Yes, tired and sore are all part of the scene, as far as my experience anyway, and other querky treatssmile  It gets better every day, be patient.  Go easy on yourself and rest and when you feel like it get up and move a little.  I'm finding that each day it gets just a tad easier so hang in there, and don't expect to be running any marathons any time TOO SOON.  I understand it will all come in time.  I'm exactly one week post op today, and am walking around with my walker and trying to do my exercises they want me to do at home until I see Doc on October 5th.  Two days after that I start with formal physical therapy.  Hope you'll recover nicely!

• Posted

Hi Terri. Pretty much the same thing. Baby steps and plenty of rest. Doing my exercises and doing as I'm told. Seeing physio on 16th Oct and Consultant in 6 weeks. Don't want to screw it up as some people on here had up to 5 replacements as well as knees.

I'm a very fit active 65yr old and for the sake of 8-10 weeks a small price to pay.

Good luck with your recovery and thanks for your support. My physio was great. Says each 24 hours becomes easier.

Sandra

• Posted

hi Sandra im 4 days post op and 2nd day home i feel very similar to you so tired sore and emotional was lovely to find this forum and read everyones storys 
    • Posted

Hi Tracy. That's great we can do this journey together. Have to say I was apprehensive about going home as days 1 and 2 were pretty awful.

My husband is not the best nurse but we are getting into a routine and hey ho he is doing his best for me. It's amazing how quickly you adjust.

Keep your sense of humour and follow your instructions to the letter. I'm a perfectionist and a workaholic but consultant has told me no driving before 8 weeks and I'm trusting his judgement as I want a full recovery.

10 weeks before I can go back to work but so what.

Keep your spirits up and just take good loving care of yourself and your needs for a change.

Love and hugs

Sandra

• Posted

Thankyou Sandra I will try i didnt think it would be as painful as it is and im normally good with pain but just feel a bit deflated i think i defo need to go back to baby steps and like evryone says after the swelling etc go s down and we keep doing the excercises it will become easier. I am due to have the other hip done in 6 months time so hopefully by this time next year i will be running around lol and get my life back xxx
    • Posted

That's the spirit Tracy. Just baby steps and be kind to yourself. I was very emotional and down after I had hysterectomy but had a good recovery although much longer than this one.

We will get down days as well as good days.

Some people on here have been to hell and back. Some have had 5 THR as well as knee replacements. Some real horror stories. I feel blessed that I have the best of surgeons.

Chin up lass. Tomorrow is another day. Love and hugs and take care of you xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.