2 to 3 months waiting time

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi all,

Just wondering can you tell me how long yo uall waited for your operation. I was told on the 20 Feb 2016 my op would be 2 to 3 months. How much notice do you get for the offical date?? Can't find much info on it. I haven't had my pre op yet, but Ive had my MRSA ones done.

Thanks

Tracy

3 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It all depends on your hospital and what there waiting list is like. You will know when you get pre-op that your op will follow quite quick. But be prepared for getting a date then it being cancelled at the last minute that has happened to loads of us. For me twice l was called night before 1st thr to cancel it. Waited another 2 weeks and it almost happened again. Thats just what happens x
  • Posted

i was waiting from june till feb to have mine and they give you about 2 weeks notice

• Posted

I was put on waiting list on 9th of November. My ooeration was meant to be 29th of Feb but iv been cancelled so now im still waiting x
  • Posted

I saw my consultant in December 2015 and had my op on 3rd March.  I had a week to get everything ready as I got in on a cancellation.   They rang me on the Wednesday the week before, pre-op the following day and saw o/t the next day.  I panicked but in retrospect it gavce me less time to worry.  Two weeks post-op now. 
  • Posted

Ar lors23 comments - it all depends on your hospital. I had pre op clinic 10th March, and Hip clinic today. I am 'pencilled in' for THR 3rd May.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies so far- I'm going into Lancaster hospital has anyone has it done there?

• Posted

I was lucky then. I went to RNOH Stanmore. Saw the consultant 9th December. Had CT scan mid Jan and the day after that they phoned me to discuss a date. I went in on 4th March as arranged and all went like clockwork. Got the impression I could have had it earlier but I had a holiday if Feb that I'd had booked before I was told I would need surgery. For my job to cover me was difficult so to have had too short notice would have been a problem, but as it was it was perfect. Good luck!
    • Posted

You are indeed lucky to have had your op at Stanmore. I requested a referral to Stanmore myself due to being advised by a neighbour who had hers there.

However my local referral service refused my request.Here in Beds the GP passes referrals to a service in Bedford. They telephoned me and said that Stanmore only takes referrals from other hospitals,as they deal with difficult cases.

It turns out my neighbour had been employed in the home of the senior surgeon,so he was able to organise things for her.

I was first diagnosed in 2013 with OA but told it is not life threatening so no need to do anything unless in extreme pain.

The pain was bearable then,but getting worse and I am unable to walk far or stand fully upright.

Do you live in London? Maybe where you live is a deciding factor.

Certainly there are wide differences up and down the country in what people are  experiencing.

Glad you have had a positive result.

Best wishes

Joyx  

• Posted

I live in Basildon which is outside the catchment for Stanmore, but had been referred already within my home area and the consultant I saw couldn't do any more for me and recommended I see them, partly as he felt I was too young for surgery (I'm 46 which I didn't think was too young) and also the fact I was born with bilateral developmental dysplasia that wasn't diagnosed until I was 18months old and had corrective surgery then for it. This left my pelvis an odd shape so I fit the criteria for a tertiary referral, for which I'm very very grateful. I cannot praise them enough, the whole experience was fabulous from the start.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.It confirms what I was told about Stanmore being by tertiary referral.

It is good to know that you are getting the best treatment for your needs.

That is how it should be.

My own condition is just OA what they call wear and tear.So not a special case except that I am worried about my advanced osteoporosis (and my advanced age)

All the best to you

Joyx

• Posted

I had my hip in November operated at the Royal free in Hampstead, my surgeon operates both nhs and private there.  My stay was brilliant only 4 days great hospital.

suexx

• Posted

I'm sorry that you don't seem to be getting anywhere. I had to really push my original consultant about how much the pain was affecting my day to day life and even then he insisted on doing steroid injections into the joint, which only gave very temporary relief. I don't know if there was a budget issue in my area, a friends father has been waiting for months for his op, so it could be that. I'd advise you keep pushing, tell them that your pain is affecting your quality of life. Get a second opinion on X-ray if necessary, but don't be fobbed off if you're worried. Good luck!
    • Posted

In the beginning it was my own fault,as I was only too willing to believe it was best to do nothing as I felt the pain was perfectly bearable.

Even now I can cope with the pain,its just that I cannot straighten up and walk with a stick doubled over and with a bad limp.Also the lovely physiotherapist I saw has said the limp is bad for my back and back pain is increasing.

You are right that I need to be more assertive.

Thank you for the advice.

Joyx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.