3 months after THD surgery, still have issues with bulging skin / burning / itching.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice from those of you who have had THD / HALO surgery, or anyone else who has had their hemorrhoids sugically treated.

I had THD for Grade 3 hemorrhoids three months in September. At my two month check up my colorectal surgeon told me that the hemorrhoids had shrunk right back to small Grade 1s and that I needed no more treatment, which was great.

The only problem is, I still have skin bulging from my anus where the hemorrhoids were. The hemorrhoids were big enough to stretch the skin quite a lot (I had them for over six months) and every time I have a BM now it still looks and feels like I have them. They're not really skin tags, just soft bulges. I have itching and burning still, usually after a BM and lasting sometimes all day. I sitz bath, eat a very high fibre diet and drink plenty of water.

Did anyone suffer from these 'bulges' after their THD / hemorrhoid surgery? And if so, did the skin ever go back to normal and the symptoms disappear?

While I'm not in as much discomfort as I was pre-surgery, I'm still upset that I'm not yet 100%, despite the surgery, and am hoping that this is just a temporary problem as a result of having large hemorrhoids, and that it will go away!

Thanks for any and all feedback, it's much appreciated!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had THD done just over 2 weeks ago and after a few days I have some external tissue what feels like hemmeroids back... Sounds like you had similar experience.. Did yours resolve? How long did it take to go? Are you glad you had the procedure done?

Thank you very much,

Nikki 

• Posted

had thd with mucopexy done exactly two weeks ago. a few days ago, i noticed my bum hurt worse and had prolapse almost as bad as before. i noticed what appears to be a new internal hemorrhoid that looks raw and red at the end (maybe this is one that had been stitched up?) and a couple smaller external hemorrhoids that had never been there before. i've stayed away from straining, taking the exact amount of laxatives and fiber as recommended (there was only one incidence of straining and my bum looked and felt exactly as it had prior to this new incidence). i have a follow up appt in two weeks since my doctor is out of the office until then. i have been in panic mode for the past few days and though my doctor says this is a normal part of the healing process, i don't understand how it could have happened overnight from neat and tidy to worse than before. can anyone give me any advice or hope that this will get better? 
    • Posted

Hi Phillip-how did the follow up with the Doctor go? I'm in a similar situation and hoping that it will go away on its own.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.