3 weeks on fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi its my first time posting here. I've been on fluoxetine for 3 weeks today and I'm really struggling with crippling anxiety. Please tell me this will pass as I feel like it's ruining my life. I've read that alot of people feel tired but I'm the complete opposite, like I've taken some sort of stimulant. I used to take fluoxetine for several years but foolishly stopped as I was feeling really well. I had about a 6 month break and then totally hit rock bottom when I broke up with my partner. I suffered a brain haemorrhage 4 years ago which caused a stroke so I'm disabled and unable to work. Since starting this medication again I feel ramped up and like I can't relax. I'm on lorazipam 0.5mg twice a day but the doctor wants me to come off it as its addictive but I don't know how I'm going to cope without it. I know my doctor talked about increasing the dose in a couple of weeks but if I'm still feeling the same I don't think I'll be able to cope if the side effects get worse. Please tell me this feeling will pass, I feel desperate

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stevie sorry to hear you're struggling. I am going into week 4 so not that far ahead of you. I have noticed my anxiety is greater especially in a morning. I have read this will pass soon. I just rush around with work to make it pass quicker. I know you don't have that luxury. Are you able to do any form of strenuous exercise to shake off the anxiety? I'm not sure of your situation with your disability.

• Posted

Hi Joanne thank you so much for replying. No I'm not able to do any strenuous exercise, I'm having an operation on my leg next week aswell so I will be in a plaster cast for 6 weeks which will mean I'm able to do even less. I'm finding the anxiety is lasting all day and I don't feel any better until the evening. My doctor isn't much help either and makes me feel like these side effects are all in my head - I wish they were.

• Posted

Hi Stevie, I'm so sorry to hear about your side effects, they really are awful. I am taking the medication for anxiety, then experienced extreme anxiety as a side effect which made me realise what real anxiety is!

The side effects do subside, I promise. I really felt like I was going to feel rubbish forever and couldn't see it getting better, then slowly, bit by bit it does. I got a bit obsessed with finding out how long it took for other people to feel better, but I realise now everyone's different and you just have to go with it.

I hope it's not long for you, stick with it and be kind to yourself.

• Posted

Hi, yes the side effects are awful for some, and it's extremely common that in the first weeks, maybe like mine it's 8 weeks, the original symptoms can get more highlighted, especially the anxiety. I had depression but wasn't even aware of anxiety until about 2 weeks after starting the fluox!! I have been to hell and back on this stuff, without doubt the most difficult thing I've ever done. It's really starting to kick in during last week (week 9) and it's like I'm already a different person, calmer and more rational, and the endless fatigue is finally going. It's something pretty much all of us go through on the meds so you're pretty normal! The side effects will pass mate, just give it plenty of time. Fluox is the slowest of all the SSRI meds to start working, but please don't keep changing, the key is to keep going on the same one at the same dosage for as long as possible. Give it at least two months, maybe even three. It's worth it in the end, best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.