3 weeks till op -nervous

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi all , new on here , having op 3 weeks tomorrow , nervous but hoping all will go well .  im only 40 and just wondering if anyone else has had op at this age on here ? any advice appreciated also , regarding before and after - many thanks biggrin

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My op is on the 29th. Im 20 but it will be my 12th op. First thr and first spinal but 3rd time on crutches haha.

Anything your really nervous about? X

• Posted

oh wow , much younger than me,12 th !!! makes me feel daft being nervous . its a bit of everything really and mainly staying away from home and family is already making me anxious , just the thought .......xx
    • Posted

Haha everyone makes me feel bad when they say that 😂 you have every right to be nervous. Believe you me im nervous to haha.

How are your family making you anxious? Xx

• Posted

hehe , no i mean im anxious about leaving them , daughters and hub , i dont like being away from home xx
    • Posted

Awww i see. It will only be for a few days.

Im rather looking forward for a few days away on my own haha xx

• Posted

Hi khippie I'm 49 and had my hip done 8weeks ago. I had spinal and sedation I went down and tbh I was petrified but all I felt was something cold on my back and then the next thing I knew I was being woken up being told it was all done :-) x Make sure you have a raised seat for toilet when you get home and a grabber and lots of baggy joggers x Keep regular with pain meds and you will be fine x I would say first 2 weeks are the worst bit of an emotional rollercoaster lol x Best feeling is straight after operation all that horibble arthritic pain has gone its wonderful xx good luck keep us posted :-) xx

• Posted

hey not far from my age confused you was awake for op ? i have grabber and some other bits that hospital gave me and i am attending hip school tomorrow !!! how long did you stay in for ? thankyou for advice hun , im glad i joined , hope your mending well xxx
    • Posted

Hi again no I had heavy sedation so was sounds but felt great when I came round wide awake and hungry lol x I went in on the Thursday and was out Saturday lunchtime so not long at all they made sure I could manage stairs before I went but honestly they are not as hard as you may think x
  • Posted

Morning and welsome to your Hippie Slice of Heaven. A place where all questions are valid and valued.

It would be unnatural if you did not feel nervous. Although much older than you (55) I still managed to be extremely anxious. But my concerns were about the various types of anaesthetics. As it turned out, it was a breeze. I had a light general and a spinal. I fell asleep talking to the very nice man and woke up (apparently 2 seconds later) having had the op! Blinking amazing. 

And the recovery has been text book too. Yes, there is discomfort, but no pain - such a wonderful feeling. 

It sounds like you are having the best preperation - hip school? If you are able, I would do some core strength exercises too. Sit ups and the like. Although not vital, the nurses said that people with strong core muscles become more able sooner. 

Michael x

• Posted

Hi and welcome,

​I am 30 and i was supposed to get my THR on the 1st March but had to be resceduled for the 23rd March. I am opposite, i am super excited !!

• Posted

I'm 36 and have not had surgery yet...waiting for a surgery date...
  • Posted

Hi khippie, 

Warm welcome to this wonderful forum of friendly hippies where we share our personal stories and experiences, as well as tips, but best of all, unconditional support !

Graham already has provided you with the link of his website, based on the posts here of this forum ... so all human and in normal language -

I am sure that there will others your age with husband and young children who will respond -

So, please come back with any questions and concerns you have - does not matter what, okay ?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hey

I am 42 had my first hip replacement on 9th dec and get other side done this monday. Its the best thing l have done as l have been suffering with OA for months the pain was awful l could not sleep. Now its totally gone in one leg and hopefully after monday my life will start to change back to what it was before. Its a sore op l am not gonna lie but its only really sore for a couple of days after op then it gets better and better. You are not the only one there is plently of people on the forum that is a lot younger than us including a 20 year old. This forum helps so much it got me througj some hard times and helps as its like a family.

Ask anything you want everyone will help when they can.

Laura x

• Posted

Welcome Khippie ~ I love your name!

I am forty too, and had my THR in December (A lovely christmas present!!) I was completely nervous and so worried and scared. The operation itself is fine actually, and it is not as bad as I was fearing. The first week or two are full on as you get used to your crutches and the stairs etc, but after that it really is amazing how quickly you will get better! The bone pain does actually disappear straight away as everyone always says (but I wasn't sure I entirely believed it was as simple as that, but it was) and although you have surgery soreness, it soon goes. Do you have someone to help for the first week or two? Do you work/have children? What are you biggest concerns?

This really is an excellent forum for asking questions, getting support and off loading any worries. There will always be someone here to help and listen.

• Posted

Just read you have a family and husband on a different post, the same as me. 

Yes this was the very worst part for me, I did NOT want to leave them, not for a second and was so upset about this aspect, also because I do everything for them I just could not imagine how it would work.

We made the whole thing feel quite exciting for our children by calling it a sleepover, that was the first thing, and not 'Mummy going into hospital' which sounds scary. It changed the tone by calling it a big sleepover. We also constantly referred to my going into hospital for 'a new leg' as a positive, exciting thing to happen, Mummy was getting all fixed finally. It is true as we are getting fixed, but maybe secretly we are not feeling that AT ALL at times. But the children picked up on the good feeling, we had a special song 'hello' by Adele (That now makes me cry to this day) and left a basket of presents and sweeties the day I went into hospital. I kept the children's routine exactly the same to the letter. It was fine. We have family goals to get to the swiss mountains, a dog walk (which I have just done at last!) and dancing (which I have already managed if you can call my effort dancing!) Maybe we used endless russian style propaganda brainwashing techniques too much, but the relentless positivity really worked a treat. Children will take the lead from you. I did also talk to them about any worries they have, and kept an eye on them, but both were fine. I kid you not, my first operation was cancelled at the last minute, and my youngest daughter was devastated and said 'oh no Mummy now you will never get a new hip!'. I was expecting her to be happy I was home but she wasn't, for her it was more important I was fixed and better.

How old are your children?

So the big sleepover part went well, and coming home was so lovely hugging them for the first time afterwards will stay with me forever. They can then be your little helpers, pinnys on, to help Daddy with the room service you will need, house keeping and odd jobs. The first two weeks are pretty exhausting for you in recovery, so do not plan to do anything for that time. By week threee/four you can manage much better. I started looking after my children week four just after, and it was really hard work, so if you can line up help for a while longer I would. It is not impossible but you are so exhausted. Organise help for as long as possible. I really did think I would be fine by that stage, but really you do need extra support with young children at that stage. 

I started driving around three weeks, but very short journeys. I have an automatic. I had to drive by week four as I needed to do school runs. Try and get someone lined to do this if you can, getting in and out of the car at this stage is a pain! My friends did so many for me, and it was a real godsend. I did as many as I could, as I enjoyed picking them up, but in the wind and rain and cold, and on crutches, it is no fun smile

Making sure the cupboards are full, uniforms are ready, house is spring cleaned, everything in order will give you the sense of peace, and you are ready. I know that when I left for the hospital this was very reassuring for me.

We are here for you ~ you will be absolutely fine ~ and just think of the summer months you will enjoy when this is all over!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.