5 1/2 months on fluoxetine?? Depression back?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

It's been a little while since I've been on. I have been doing well with occ days of anxiety. I thought I was over my severe depression with the occ bad hours here and there. The last few days have seemed to be worse with increased anxiety of worrying my depression is coming back. I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant and I've been taking 5 mg since the beginning. I know this isn't a high dose but I'm trying to stay at the lowest possible till I have the baby. Resentment I've been scared it's coming back or will be worse after I have the baby which I couldn't handle. Has anyone been on it 5 1/2 months and then have a bad week??

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

This is normal Nicole.

During recovery you'll get ups and downs which eventuall even out.  Even after you've been feeling well you may still get the odd time when you feel like you're slipping back.  Don't worry this is just another down/setback.  It should disappear in time again.

I had the same when I recovered.  Suddenly I'd get a period of anxiety / depression and thought I was slipping back.  Just let it be there, and know that it will ease in time.

You might get another in time to come - but treat all the same.

once your baby is born, maybe you could up your dose.

K x

• Posted

Thanks Kate!

I've had these periods before but wasn't sure if I was past the point of having them. I know pregnancy can make depression worse and I've been trying to take the lowest dose possible till I have the baby. I def want to go up after the baby because I'm scared it's going to get worse afterwards. I also haven't had any motivation and want to sleep all the time. Did you have this with the meds? I'm trying to figure out if it's the meds or pregnancy. I just don't feel like doing anything ever but sleeping sad I hope it's the pregnancy because I don't know any other anti-depressants that would work. I tried celexa and lexapro and they made me worse. Paxil helped a lot which is what I was on before but gave me nightmares. I had tried Zoloft one time and it gave me neck/leg pains. Ugh

• Posted

You can get a flat period a year after being well ...... you never know when one strikes.  They do get less and less over time, and eventually stop happening.  It's probably the pregnancy making you feel tired, and of course your body's natural defence to illness too - sleep aids healing.  The meds do make you sleepy too, but on a small dose that shouldn't be too much and it does get better.

I was on 2 different meds before this one.  Seroxat was brilliant but I had anger issues on it (really not nice when I had small children), and the 2nd was great too but it was discontinued and eventually ended up on this one.  All have worked for me, but all so different too.

This up/down period - I've seen this happen with so many people.  Don't know why it happens, but seems something we can't avoid.  All part of recovery wink

• Posted

Most of your sleepiness is probably from the pregnancy since it is a low dose, like Kate said. I can relate to the lack of motivation/flatness, as I'm going through that now. Hang in there and keep us posted!
  • Posted

Yes! I definitely can relate. I'm a little over 6mo. and still have this going on, but it's getting less and less. I can tell a definite improvement and think I'm almost there, but I am gonna try not to get frazzled when I have the occasional uncomfortable period because I know that this is how recovery usually happens for most people.
  • Posted

Thank you both so much! I hope this passes soon! I hope that once these pregnancy hormones I can get back to normal. I will def keep you updated. Thank you for the encouraging words it helps a lot.
  • Posted

Well here I am after two weeks. I've been feeling really low the last couple days but I was messing with my medication trying to lower it. Stupid of me! I just love how some days you feel great then BAM it's back. So scary to think I'll probably be fighting depression the rest of my life sad
    • Posted

Nicole

thats how recovery works - 2 steps forward, 1 steps back.  Feeling good then wham it hits you again - these are sure signs that you are going through recovery.  This is all part of how it works.  This pattern will repeat itself for a while, but each time the good days will get longer and the low times less  intense.  Don't give up, as in time this will all level out and you'll feel well all the time.  

You might even feel well for months then suddenly get a low period.  But it will go away.

You will not be fighting depression for the rest of your life - you are going through this phase of recovery and it will all iron out eventually.  Don't mess with your medication - wait until you're completely well and stay like that for a good year before even thinking of lowering your meds.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.