5 days post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all!

Well it all went ahead and came home Friday 5th Feb.

It is hard as you all say and nothing can prepare you for it.

Pain is quite bad (codeine 60mg and paracetamol) which is what I've been prescribed for a while now but because of anticoagulant therapy am not allowed my naproxen which makes it feel worse.  Taking 4 hourly on the dot.

Hard to sleep for long because of the pain and cant get comfy. Some people advise to sleep on side - but which side? The opposite side to the op site? Leg feels like lead and been using a belt with loop to lift onto bed until I get a Loop leg lifter from Amazon (ordered) First physio tomorrow.

Managed 90 degree bend 1st day post op.

Taking each day as it comes and reminding myself that this is "good" pain not the old bone on bone pain!

So if anyone has any advice how best to get through the first two weeks I would be really grateful.

Icing 5 times a day, trying to walk for 5 mins hourly, donut exercises, managing stairs OK.

You guys have already been really helpful and I found a lot of the advice given before (how to prepare for the op) was really spot on!

Thanks againbiggrin

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Daisy may, I'm almost 5 weeks out from my second TKR and my biggest advice is rest and ice! Some people feel bad being seen lying down all the time but your body needs it. I still can't sleep on my side very long (nor could I with the last one at this point). Find the couch or bed that works the best for you, wrap your ice on and relax the best you can on your back.

Doing the stairs is great but only do them once or twice a day. It's more strain on your leg than you think. Walking for 5 minutes each time I got up is what my therapist suggested. Lifting your leg is perfect as you probably have very little strength.

Drink plenty of fluids and take your pain meds before you get too uncomfortable. You'll be up and around in no time but remember, rest!

• Posted

Thanks Deborah!

Great advice.Will reduce times I go upstairs for a start.

And rest more! biggrin

• Posted

well done daisymay 90 at first day brillant!!!! ,use a pillow between the knees when on your side probably lie on the god one but use the pillow it really helps your doing great cheesygrin
    • Posted

if you find that you cant settle with that side lie on the side your leg was done but either put the good leg forward or backward of the tkr therefore your not leanng on the tkr i did both ways but what ever way you sleep dont ever put the pillow under the knee a complete nono !!  and yes my first post should say good one senior moment ha!
    • Posted

I agree on putting the good leg in front or behind the tkr leg. That's how I sleep on my side.
  • Posted

I had my left tkr on Jan 4, and I will have my right done on Tuesday... I have found that icing a lot is beneficial. I sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees and ice as well. That seems to help me. Continue with your medication, and be patient. It is a long process. Good luck.
  • Posted

Congrats!  It's a huge step (pun intended).  For two weeks after I came home I had to wear inflatable thingies on my lower legs at night, attached to a machine that contually inflated and deflated, in order to avoid blood clots.  So, I had to sleep flat on my back for those two weeks and I found that the bed was no good. The recliner worked much better.  Even after finally getting to sleep in the bed it was impossible to sleep more than 3 hours at a time and forget sleeping on the side, still had to do flat on the back for about 2 more weeks.  You'll get there!
  • Posted

Keep taking the pain medicine. I had trouble with it upsetting my stomach and therefore stopped and this lead to much more pain.
  • Posted

Perhaps you could ask for some stronger painkillers,maybe Tramadol,for a while? I agree with the others about ice,rest and using a cushion between your knees.
  • Posted

Sounds like you are doing really well for this stage of the game, DaisyMay!

I had not achieved a bend of 90° for WEEKS into my recovery!

My best advice is keep a positive attitude. Look for small victories. Your 90° bend at this stage is a HUGE victory!

When you are tired, rest.

Keep hydrated even though it means more potty visits.

Each week you will be stronger.

Read all of our posts here describing OUR first couple of weeks. Misery DOES love company, and they will help you see that you are not alone with your experience.

Keep us posted on your progress. Since so many here share your experience, we are quite interested in YOUR story!

Be patient, and before you know it you will feel better and better!

Sending prayers of confidence, strength, and courage to you tonight!

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl - yes I am pleased with the 90 degree bend. It was 95 today with the physio and he is pleased with me! Just wish I didn't feel tired all the time and my appetite would come back and I could sleep better. But I know that's all normal with a TKR! biggrin
    • Posted

I still feel tired at times. I have begun to realize that my body has not yet completely healed from my two surgeries...even at eight months and four months post op. We heal when we sleep, so the body is just reminding us of what we should be doing!

Our bodies are so amazing! We get all the answers IF we listen to what they are telling us! We humans tend to get so busy that we fail to pay attention to what our body already knows!

Appetite returns, as does sleep (good sleep lasting more than an hour at a time from sbeer EXHAUSTION!) I finally slept six hours in a row about four months after my surgery. I was shocked but VERY pleased!

It will come. Your body has been through a lot. Your mind has, too. In awhile things will settle into a comfortable rhythm.

• Posted

You are so right Cheryl!

I've started listening to what my body is telling me.

I just had a good hour's sleep. biggrin

One day at a time!

• Posted

Yea, SLEEP!💖😁

We LOVE you, SLEEP!💗

So glad to hear that!

Yes, one day ( even HOUR!) at a time is the way to go!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.