5 days post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all!

Well it all went ahead and came home Friday 5th Feb.

It is hard as you all say and nothing can prepare you for it.

Pain is quite bad (codeine 60mg and paracetamol) which is what I've been prescribed for a while now but because of anticoagulant therapy am not allowed my naproxen which makes it feel worse.  Taking 4 hourly on the dot.

Hard to sleep for long because of the pain and cant get comfy. Some people advise to sleep on side - but which side? The opposite side to the op site? Leg feels like lead and been using a belt with loop to lift onto bed until I get a Loop leg lifter from Amazon (ordered) First physio tomorrow.

Managed 90 degree bend 1st day post op.

Taking each day as it comes and reminding myself that this is "good" pain not the old bone on bone pain!

So if anyone has any advice how best to get through the first two weeks I would be really grateful.

Icing 5 times a day, trying to walk for 5 mins hourly, donut exercises, managing stairs OK.

You guys have already been really helpful and I found a lot of the advice given before (how to prepare for the op) was really spot on!

Thanks againbiggrin

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Your doing great Daisy May and appear to be doing everything right so far.

Same mantra as before - gently gently softly softly is better than trying too hard. I learned that the hard way.  Whilst your waiting for your painkillers to kick in stick ice on your knee and drink water.

Good luck

Ann

• Posted

Hi Daisy may

I am only 11 day post op tkr. So for me I am only new to this too. Everyone on this forum has great advice. It's been my life line when it comes to this surgery.

Sleeping on your back constantly becomes a nightmare. Last night I got the hubby to help me. I placed my good knee to the mattress first than a comfortable pillow between. Hubby helped me position the knee slowly into a comfortable position. I slept a few hours like this before moving. The change was fantastic.

I even slept on the right knee which has been operated on. Not as comfortable.

I think having someone help place you on this position is a lot more helpful and less painful.

• Posted

Oh, the not being able to even get close to my glorious "sleeping on my tummy" position nearly drove me to tears! With my first surgery it was NINE WEEKS until I accomplished it! (Never even THOUGHT about asking for help! I guess I can be pretty stubborn!)

With my second surgery I was able to wiggle to my left side and inch my toes along the mattress until I could inch my toes along my left leg and O-V-E-R !!! Ahhhhhhh! Sleeping on my side wasn't TUMMY, but it sure did help! I later accomplished TUMMY in another week.

Sounds like you are WAAAAY ahead of the game!

Good for you!

Feels SO GOOD to have some control again, too, doesn't it?!!

• Posted

Thanks Jodie - I might give that a try tonight as hate sleeping on my backbiggrin
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl ☺

A little control is nice. Reading your words "wiggle a little just to inch those toes" made and laugh. That bought back images of me the other night but I think I had my tongue poked out a little to the left. I was so proud of myself . Last night hubby was awake so made it easier on myself. Blonde Cheryl but not silly.

Xxx

• Posted

I do that tongue thing, too!😸

I'm NOT blonde, but I AM very silly!

(Just spotted these do-dads and shall be having GREAT FUN adding them to future messages!)

🙈🙉🙊.🐸🐸🐸. 💑💑💑. 🍔🍔🍔

• Posted

Hi Daisy may

I am only 11 day post op tkr. So for me I am only new to this too. Everyone on this forum has great advice. It's been my life line when it comes to this surgery.

Sleeping on your back constantly becomes a nightmare. Last night I got the hubby to help me. I placed my good knee to the mattress first than a comfortable pillow between. Hubby helped me position the knee slowly into a comfortable position. I slept a few hours like this before moving. The change was fantastic.

I even slept on the right knee which has been operated on. Not as comfortable.

I think having someone help place you on this position is a lot more helpful and less painful.

• Posted

90 degree bend first day post op!!! Goodness me! I only just got to 90 for my 6 week post op appointment with consultant.

Sounds to me as if you are doing fine.

Regarding sleeping, I slept on my back for quite a while after surgery.

If you are going to sleep on your side I would advise you to sleep on unoperated side. Hope physio goes OK.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah. Physio assesment went fine and next appointment next week. Dressing was changed and wound looks good.

Think they are pleased with me.

I am pleased with me except first thing in a morning when I havent had much sleep lol! biggrin

• Posted

Sleep or lack of it is one of the major issues that we all appear to have.  2-3 hours is about all I can manage and I'm heading for 11 weeks post op.

I get up and ice again if I'm too uncomfortable.  I have a cryocuff which is a bucket type thingy which you fill with ice its attached to  an icepack, this keeps the ice pack cold. If it bursts I would have a nervous breakdown!  Some people bring their teddy to bed. Me? Its the cryocuff! Liberated one of my mother's sleeping tablets last Friday and slept for 6 hours without waking.  Woke up a new woman!

You are doing great. Well done

Ann X

• Posted

id smother your mother for that perscription ,i havent slept 6 hrs for a v.e.r.y long......... time .frown
    • Posted

Ann - lol at Teddy cryocuffbiggrin

I had a worse night last night and hardly slept at all.

Got my G/P to try me on tramadol and am taking the first 100mg tonight. Will report back if they are any better than the codeine and paracetamol tomorrow people!biggrin

• Posted

It nearly came to that Linda. She is quite mean with her tablets.

Pops Tylex like smarties and not a bother on her washes them down with Alka Seltzer!!!

She is in hospital at the moment with pneumonia but is responding well to treatment.  I know she has her little stash of tablets in her toilet bag

Thats my Mam

Best sleep I had since the 26th November

Might have to kill her for another one

• Posted

haha!! best wishes to your mum ,i hope she will be well shortly x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.