5 days post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all!

Well it all went ahead and came home Friday 5th Feb.

It is hard as you all say and nothing can prepare you for it.

Pain is quite bad (codeine 60mg and paracetamol) which is what I've been prescribed for a while now but because of anticoagulant therapy am not allowed my naproxen which makes it feel worse.  Taking 4 hourly on the dot.

Hard to sleep for long because of the pain and cant get comfy. Some people advise to sleep on side - but which side? The opposite side to the op site? Leg feels like lead and been using a belt with loop to lift onto bed until I get a Loop leg lifter from Amazon (ordered) First physio tomorrow.

Managed 90 degree bend 1st day post op.

Taking each day as it comes and reminding myself that this is "good" pain not the old bone on bone pain!

So if anyone has any advice how best to get through the first two weeks I would be really grateful.

Icing 5 times a day, trying to walk for 5 mins hourly, donut exercises, managing stairs OK.

You guys have already been really helpful and I found a lot of the advice given before (how to prepare for the op) was really spot on!

Thanks againbiggrin

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You need a sleeping tablet for a while.

The worst part of recovery is the lack of sleep.  See can you get some from your doc.  I had some but nothing as strong as my mother she's a tough old bird at 91!

Keep up the icing and gently gently with the stretching (thats all you should be doing at your stage)

Your doing great

Ann

• Posted

You need a sleeping tablet for a while.

The worst part of recovery is the lack of sleep.  See can you get some from your doc.  I had some but nothing as strong as my mother she's a tough old bird at 91!

Keep up the icing and gently gently with the stretching (thats all you should be doing at your stage)

Your doing great

Ann

• Posted

Thanks Ann.

Well had the best night ever with the tramadol. I bet its a one off though!biggrin

• Posted

Update.  Tramadol is much better than the codeine and as I finish my anticoagulants I can restart my naproxen tomorrow, yay!

I have been sleeping on and off at night and during the day but still feel tired all the time which is normal.

Just been reading the threads here again as been having the shooting pains which I think some people on forum refer to as the lightning pains when your nerves are healing and so was immediately reassured on that one.

So much useful info on this forum. You guys are a mine of information, thank you!

Sutures out Tuesday! biggrin

• Posted

Update! Just had to tell you guys I drove for the first time to the supermarket today and it was OK!

I finished tramadol a week or so ago and back on my usual codeine and paracetamol  with ibuprofen (the other leg is also bone on bone and needs a TKR) but a lot less dose than I used to have.

Bend is good and exercises going OK. Sleeping OK too.

A bit thank you to all of you for your advice and encouragement - I dont know what I would have done without this forum! biggrin

• Posted

Oops sorry that should of course have read a big thank you!!!!
    • Posted

Good one, DaisyMay! Doesn't it feel good to be FREE???!!!! Being cooped up was tough. Driving again after being away from it IS a bit scary at first. Congratulations on your maiden voyage in your car after surgery!

Glad all is progressing nicely! 🍀

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl,

It really feels like I've turned a milestone.

It really felt great to be able to do that again after 6 weeks.

Saw consultant last Monday and he was pleased with progress too.

Wound looking good too.

Thank you for all your encouragement! biggrin

• Posted

You are very welcome!😊

I think we all have to really look for the small victories because, all together, those small victories show us we really ARE making substantial progress to feeling normal once again.

Keep up the POSITIVE attitude! It will really help!🐇🐥🐇🐤🐰🐥

• Posted

I found wraping the knee with an ace bandage ()not too tight) helped at night

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.