8 Months Ankle Ligament Reconstruction, Still Pain!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey everyone, thank God I saw these forums!

?I've had ankle problems for past 9 years. First it was ONE partially torn ligament (ATFL) and my surgeon at that time said "your too young for surgery". In those 9 years I had crazy pain..some days were terrible.

?

?Fast-Forward 9 years, did Private MRI showing 

TWO COMPLETE TORN ligaments in my Ankle (ATFL and Calcenao).

?Surgeon recommended surgery as problem got worse! Did the surgery and I am now 8 MONTHS in.

?Unforunately, I am still having lot of pain. When I'm resting i'm fine. When I walk long distances for long periods of time, the pain comes. That time I have to STOP walking or sit down somewhere and rest. This keeps happening back and forth. I'm lucky if I can walk for 1 hour WITHOUT pain.

?My physio is saying 1-2 years of recovery. However, I feel 8 months is long time to still have pain by just walking.

?Any suggestions? Do you really think 12 months in I can walk with no pain?

?I just turned 28 and this is the worse feeling. Thanks for reading

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. Not sure if I can be any help. I shattered my ankle August 2015, so 17 months ago now. I have 2 plates and screws and Two long screws inner ankle bone. Mine was a very serious injury and I find I can't walk far or long without pain. I had a job on my feet, which I lost. I'm a female, 60 with brittle bones. You are young and I would think ( My opinion) that in time, which could be years you will recover. I've been told these things can take years to recover. The ankle is a complex part of the body. I'm still having physio and I was walking without aids, post op 5 months. I feel most pain around the inner ankle bones, where the two screws are and I can't have them removed due to the condition of my bones. Don't give up and keep positive. Do the exercises and what ever you can to help yourself. There is no magic formula and we are all different. All the best ! smile

• Posted

Hi Ms Camboot, thank you for replying! I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. I really hope you recover and are pain free. Thanks for your insight, definitely inspiring! Take care smile

• Posted

Hey i have 7 screws and plate in my hand for 3 weeks but i want to know if i can use my hand like i were ?? Im 19 years in some postion i feel like the plate will get out of my hand but without pain
    • Posted

Hi. I would ask your doctor. 3 weeks isn't long. I'm sorry I really can't advice you. Ask your doctor or surgeon.

• Posted

Let's see...9 years ago would've made you 19...too young for surgery? That's an adult! You should've fought that/gotten a second opinion. I had my first surgery at 16! But in any event, I'm so sorry that youl've been in pain for 9 years!

With 2 completely torn ligaments, I'm not surprised that you're still having pain. After my first surgery I was in pain for months after (don't recall how many, it was 9 1/2 years ago). Ligament injuries are rough, and surgeries for them are rougher. It will get better.

• Posted

Hi Lil Johnson, thank you for replying! I'm sorry you were only 16 when you had your first surgery, cannot imagine what you were going through. I appreciate your positive insight. Thank you for reading!

• Posted

Anytime smile

I also have to remind myself that it is a rough road but it gets better, cause I'm having my second surgery on Monday.

• Posted

What was your first surgery regarding? And what is your second one regarding now? Good luck! Hope you recover.
    • Posted

Both left ankle ligament (ATFL). This time is worse than last time though...the ligament is pretty much completely torn, basically hanging on by a thread.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear! After the 1st surgery, how long did it take for you to FULLY recover? (able to walk free of pain)

​Also, why did you need a second surgery?

• Posted

I honestly don't remember, but it was MONTHS. And I would say it was at least a year before I was fully 100% functional.

I need the second one because I tore the ligament again.

• Posted

Good luck with surgery! Hope you recover soon. Thanks for sharing your story with me smile

• Posted

When you tore it the second time were you using an ankle brace or support?
    • Posted

Yes. At first I was put in a boot, but we didn't know it was torn. Then I was put in a brace which I stayed in even after the MRI showing it was torn, mainly for comfort.

Oh, and the surgery went really well!

• Posted

My surgery was horrific; doctor didn't believe in giving nerve block until he tested nerve by making me wiggle my toes; hours in recovery in the worst pain ever and then sent me home without any anti inflammatorys. Surgery was one week ago and I have insisted on cast and stitches out sooner so that I can start pt. Most everyone I have talked with or read about has a very difficult time walking again because they are in a cast too long and can't exercise muscles. Muscles can be used without hurting the ligament.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that!

My first surgery was rough. Really rough. I didn't have a nerve block, and even though I had the On-Q pain relief system, and an ice water cooler, it was still awful..

This time, like i said, it went really well. I didn't have any nerve block, don't have an On-Q or ice thing. My surgery was finished around 1:45pm and I was out of the hospital around 2:30pm because I was all set. Apparently I woke up immediately, and I wasn't nauseous or anything. I was in pain so they gave me percocet and some IV med, twice (morphine if I remember correctly), and after that, my pain level was down to about a 3 from a 7-8. So I went to the bathroom, got dressed and was discharged. Upon arrival at the house I was up and feeling fine, I drank a milkshake, took some Tylenol because my nephew accidentally knocked my foot, and took a nap. I was given an anti-inflammatory before the surgery, and then told to take Tylenol and ibuprofen PRN along with my oxycodone.

I'm following doctor's orders/procedure to a T. I'm not about to have anything bad happen...I don't need a 3rd surgery!

• Posted

So glad it went well; I was not allowed to mix Ib and tylenol and thus swelling and inflamation in my cast was awful. They gave me morphine and diladid and it had no effect. Eventually the block worked and I got to leave. I don't ever want to see this man again but I have to. Friday cast comes off and stitches out. I am researching so that I don't re-injure but my doctor's words fall on deaf ears.  Good luck with everything!  I hope to be exercising those leg muscles soon!

• Posted

So which did you take? Tylenol does nothing for swelling...

I'm not exactly mixing them, I'm alternating them. Take one then take the other. I'm also using Aleve instead of ibuprofen because it works better for me. And I've got room for swelling. Not so much that I can feel it moving or anything, but enough that I can tell.

I'm so sorry you've had such a bad experience! 

• Posted

Nsaids like ibuprofen(advil) relieve inflammation; I got rid of percoset (tylenol based) and aspirin and finally got a plain prescription for oxy. Within 12 hours I had increased time between doses by double on the oxy vs percoset with IB added;  and the next day at the outside edge for need. My surgery was last Tuesday, the 10th, and I went to Ibuprofen 800mg 3 x daily yesterday and have no need for other meds/narcotics. I am also exercising including toe curls and flex and leg lifts with casted legs. I move around a fair amount to keep my circulation up but not too much or have to elevate. Ditch the tylenol and percoset and hit the IB!

• Posted

Good. Just wanted to check.

Honestly, right now I need Aleve AND the oxy (though I wish it were hydrocodone -- that seems to work better for me)...And Aleve is my choice over IB. I know my drugs pretty well...I've taken pharmacology lol. I move my toes a lot, but am in too much pain to do anything else. Bur of course, we're talking day of surgery, no nerve block, no On-Q, no nothing but pills, so it's no surprise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.