8 Months Ankle Ligament Reconstruction, Still Pain!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey everyone, thank God I saw these forums!

?I've had ankle problems for past 9 years. First it was ONE partially torn ligament (ATFL) and my surgeon at that time said "your too young for surgery". In those 9 years I had crazy pain..some days were terrible.

?

?Fast-Forward 9 years, did Private MRI showing 

TWO COMPLETE TORN ligaments in my Ankle (ATFL and Calcenao).

?Surgeon recommended surgery as problem got worse! Did the surgery and I am now 8 MONTHS in.

?Unforunately, I am still having lot of pain. When I'm resting i'm fine. When I walk long distances for long periods of time, the pain comes. That time I have to STOP walking or sit down somewhere and rest. This keeps happening back and forth. I'm lucky if I can walk for 1 hour WITHOUT pain.

?My physio is saying 1-2 years of recovery. However, I feel 8 months is long time to still have pain by just walking.

?Any suggestions? Do you really think 12 months in I can walk with no pain?

?I just turned 28 and this is the worse feeling. Thanks for reading

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So, I initialy injured my ankle 12 years ago. Since then I've sprained it at least once a year as I played sports in high school and am very clumsy on that ankle now.  I have almost completely torn the ligament. Dr is leaning toward surgery. Given you've gone through the surgery, would you recommend it to anyone else?

• Posted

You will never get better without the surgery and you can have bones break if the ligaments can't hold them together. You must research the doctors better than I did. I got recommendations and can only hope this guy put my ligament back together correctly. Find an ortho group that specializes in Sports Medicine only. They will work to keep athletes active. Closest group to me is a 40 minute drive and I was unsure about driving so far if something happened. Wish I had. No one wants to assume liability for this doctors work so I am stuck with him. However, I am researching and staying informed and this Friday he is going to hear from me! I have video of me in recovery and it's ugly. I have a copy for him to play every time he even cosiders operating on someone and not giving a nerve block. If you meet with a doc, make sure you get a block BEFORE you wake up from anesthesia and ask him for that. If he says no, go find another. The pain is horrific and I usually tolerate alot!

• Posted

Hi Bosburn,

?In my situation, I had 2 COMPLETE torn ligaments. The surgeon requested that surgery was mandatory, since it's been 9 years! 

?It's been 8 months, I'm still in pain. However, everyones situation is different. Perhaps you might heal better with surgery considering it was injured 12 years ago.

Good luck and keep me posted!

• Posted

ooogh can't comment as I have different problem but hope someone here can give you some hope!  Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi Cloudsunny,

​No problem! Appreciate the post. Good luck with your problem.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that you are suffering after 8 months! What about now?  I have concerns about my own recovery. Oct 12, 2017, which is nearly 3 months ago I had ankle surgery. Originally the doctor thought he would only be tightening up some ligaments in my ankle and up the outside of my lower leg also.  He could not save any of my own ligaments and replaced 4 of them with polypropylene artificial ligaments. I also have some sort of a bracket and some bolts, which those are supposed to dissolve over time.  I am additional curious if the polypropylene is always safe? The surgeon just tells me to think positive. It is not that easy when it is much more of an ordeal than expected. After shoulder surgery, I had less pain than prior but no such luck this time. 

I still have a lot of pain. I can barely hobble around a little. The incision area is very painful and sore all of the time and really red. I was in a cast after surgery for only 3 weeks, then the walking boot for 6 to 7 weeks and now the lace up brace. All of those things hurt me as the additional pressure and rubbing on the incision. I hardly ever wear it because of the pain, pretty much wear it away from home.

I use an electric scoot a lot or 95% of the time. If one day I hobble around any more than that, the pain and swelling are terrible! I would really like to know if anyone here thinks it is normal or the same for them. My doctor says it is but the previous surgeon I had, then he moved states away, he said I would be in a cast much longer and then a walking boot much longer too. Additionally, my current surgeon had me start PT a month ago (7 weeks post surgery) and the first appointment helped and got it loosened up and the second appointment backfired. My PT guy had me doing the encumbrance bike and I swell quickly since then and it has not ever calmed down and it has been 3 weeks now.  I would appreciate any input. I hope this is all normal what is going on but I just don't know. Thanks...

• Posted

Hi Larinda,

?Thanks for messaging here. I am terribly sorry to hear about you're pain and suffering. I do promise you it will get better gradually with time. 

?Most difficult thing is being patient when you're in so much pain. In my experience, the PT helps..so do not give it up, even if results are not coming as soon as you would like them. 

?I feel a lot better now! It's been 1.5 years since my surgery and since that post, I can walk pain free almost and here and there I may experience wee bit of pain, and then it goes normal again. 

?I do assure you that it will take time, but it will happen. Do not give up! Mind and body work together. I had to think positive during that dark time, and it did help.

Good luck with you're recovery. God bless!

• Posted

Girl, I feel you! I am 7 months out of ligament reconstruction, have followed ALL of the doctor’s orders religiously & I am still in pain & unstable. I used to be a dancer & want to get back to it so bad... I’m also a waitress so the pain & instability really makes me miserable day to day. Let me know what you find out or what has helped you. I can use all the help incan get! I have used bio freeze, iced it & kept on my physical therapy but my calf is not nearly as strong as my other & I feel discouraged: 😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.