Skip to content
Ad

Ankle Problems

Also known as Sprained Ankle

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Talonavicular pain

Looks like surgery for talonavicular fusion in my future but wondering what kind of pain others have had, how long did you endure it, and was surgery and recovery worth it?  I am having my 3rd injection Wed (the first 2 didn't help but this one being done by a radiologist at a different facility). ...

Last reply
  • Cortisone injections

Had an accident in 2011 which resulted in a multiple displaced fracture of the ankle. Had metal plate and numerous screws put in during surgery which were all removed in 2013 due to complications.  Been experiencing ongoing worsening pain and swelling since then and my surgeon suggested the only...

Last reply
  • Burning heel pain after Trimalleolar surgery

Hi, I am 14 days after surgery of a dislocation and trimalleolar fracture. I have the last couple of days started to get burning heel pain which takes my breath away and painkillers don’t relieve it. Advice please? Would you say I should go back to the hospital? Thanks 

Last reply
  • Trimalleolar Ankle Fracture

I suffered a trimalleolar fracture of my ankle five weeks ago.  Had surgery two days later; now have a pin and plate in the inner side of my ankle and a plate and screws on the outer side. This has been one of the most frustrating, difficult periods in my life.  The immobility and dependence...

Last reply
  • Positive Story from a Broken Ankle

Like many of you, I suffered a broken ankle. Up until now it has been one of the toughest experiences to overcome. The mental recovery has been far greater than the physical one!  When I broke my ankle, had surgery, and started my recovery process, I did was most people do; I googled "broken...

Last reply
  • Sleep Suggestions after ORIF (7 weeks post OP)

I suffered a trimalleolar fracture on August 26 and underwent ORIF to repair it, (have a total of 13 screws and 2 plates) on Sept 6. Last week, one of my incisions developed a superficial infection and the doc removed the cast and booted me early to allow air flow to the wound. It has since began to...

Last reply
  • Boot to what type of Shoe?

I will be transitioning out of  my boot on Tuesday.  What do you recommend in terms of a shoe?  Should I wear compression socks?  An ankle brace? 

Last reply
  • Next Question - Red Foot?

The bone is healed and I am FWB in boot and PWB without the boot, but my foot is still red ....Sometimes darker sometimes  lighter, but red nonetheless. My foot is slightly swollen. It does not hurt at all. Is this typical for 9 weeks? 

Last reply
  • Pain walking in airboot / aircast after fusion operation

I came out of plaster after 8 weeks after ankle fusion operation. 2 weeks in I am unable to completely weight bear, and cannot wear the boot longer than 15 mins before foot starts to feel like burning, then swelling starts, making walking in the boot unbearable. I would be grateful to hear from anyone...

Last reply
  • Heel Pain

has anyone had severe heel pain after an ankle fusion? I’m almost 13 weeks in & can hardly put pressure on my foot because of heel pain. It seems to be getting worse instead of better. Has anyone had this & how long before you noticed improvement?

Last reply
  • Transitioning to weight bearing

Hi! I'll be @ 12 weeks next tues. I'm hoping my Tibia has healed enough to start weight bearing activities.  Can anyone share your experience transitioning to WB?  Also, it is my right leg so no driving thus far.  How long once I can bear weight till I can drive?  Going crazy...

Last reply
  • Hardware removal

I was wondering if anyone has gotten their hardware taken out of a broken ankle? If so how was the recovery afterwards?  Did it help with less pain and more flexibility ? I’m wondering in case I decide to have mine removed. I can currently feel the hardware and it causes a lot of pain and also is...

Last reply
  • Broken ankle still not healed after 12 weeks?

Hello, a little over 12 weeks ago I broke my ankle, it was a closed fracture of my left lateral malleolus. The doctor said it did not require surgery. I was non-weight bearing for 12 weeks. After 12 weeks the bone still has not fully healed, but they said I should begin trying to walk on it because they're...

Last reply
  • Boot Situation

A head on car crash on Aug 5th left me with a broken tibula and fibia and my ankle is broke in 3 spots. I had the first surgery on the night of the accident and the second surgery on September 1st. 2 plates 17 screws are in my right leg. The pain is better now but I was told I can't put any weight...

Last reply
  • I am immobilized and miserable 4 days post surgery

I missed the last two steps  going to basement last Sunday. It was horrible pain and dislocation was an obvious. They put me under to reset it , X-rays confirmed fibula & tibia breaks, they sent me home to await swelling to decrease for surgery. I am now 4 days post surgery and just wondering...

Last reply
  • Will the swelling ever go away?

I’m 6 month post op surgery. I have a plate and 9 screws. And my ankle is still freakishly swollen. I’m running playing soccer and doing everything pain free but the swelling really bothers me. I want it to go away. And I’m wondering if anyone knows how long it takes? Also I may remove my hardware in...

Last reply
  • Pain getting worse not better after bone fusion in foot.

Hi all! I’m at the 6 week mark post op from 1st tarsi-metatarsal joint fusion and FDL transfer/medial/spring ligaments reconstruction and arthroresis screw (stabilising screw in the ankle). I had half cast and elevation for first two weeks then out of cast and into cam walker (boot) and physiotherapy...

Last reply
  • Surgery scar

So I have already asked a question earlier but now i have another question but about surgery scar. Mine is still dark and a small part of it sort of formed into a keloid. How Can I get rid of it? Or what Can I put on that will help fade the scar away? 

Last reply
  • Ankle I&D due to infection

So I have an able infection for two weeks from getting the two long screws out. I now had surgery to clean out able with the possibility they may go bank in and take headwear out I'd ccultures grow anything nasty. Not sure whay to do or how kind recovery going to be. Only been dealing with this...

Last reply
  • Broken fibula, burning sensation when standing

Hi - After sleeping or having my leg elevated for long periods of time when I put my foot down there is a buring sensation at the injury point for about a minute or so.  Pain is dependent on how long the leg has been raised.  The mornings are the worst.  The pain level has risen the last...

Last reply
  • ORIF surgery ankle.. popping noise?

Hi everyone, first time here so im unsure wether i have put this in the correct place. I had a biomalleolar fracture, both sides were broke and one was out of place. Had 3 screws on the displaced side and the other was left to heal naturally. I have just started walking without the boot and ive noticed...

Last reply
  • Triple fusion problems

I had a triple fusion on 22nd may ive been back at work 6 and a half weeks full time I am still getting tingling sensation in my foot apparantly the surgeon said it’s due to cutting through nerves due to previous scar tissue hence why my op went over 6 hrs instead of the usual 2 at the mo im pooping...

Last reply
  • Am I crazy for going back to work so soon

So last Thursday i missed a step and broke my tib and fib went to the ER got pain meds and the next day went to the surgeons office. They scheduled surgery for tomorrow which I'm nervous about. Anyway i haven't been in crazy pain on anything been in bed all week with it up and i take a percoet...

Last reply
  • Fracture hurting much more 3 days after accident?

Hi, I broke my ankle 3 days ago. I've woken up this morning in agony. It feels like cast is pressing on my ankle bones. Is this normal? Don't go back to fracture clinic for another 4 day's. Is it 6 weeks of this....arms, hands and my good leg aching with trying to use these crutches! Fed...

Last reply
  • Post op Peroneal tendon surgery week 5 questions

Hello foot & ankle friends; I am curious if any of you had also had peroneal tendon surgery; I am currently post op starting 5 weeks and let's say it's been fairly painful and a lot more intense than I was prepared for. The surgery went well, the first 2 weeks I was basically bedrest and...

Last reply
  • Tibial plateau fracture

Hi everyone, I featured by tibial plateau playing netball and had surgery on 1 st October. It’s been a real roller coaster and something that has completely effected every part of my life as I’m sure you all are experiencing! I have just come home with lots of strong pain killers but I’m really struggling...

Last reply
  • Ankle sprain

2 year back I had ankle sprain while playing basketball . I have still bad pain in my ankle.  Please suggest what to do, I have already wasted my time and money by showing to number of doctors. 

Last reply
  • Transition out of boot

So I am now transitioning from boot FWB  no aids to foot. Most of the day I am in the boot . When I get home I remove the boot and  practice with the walker - putting  very little pressure on my foot. Any advice as to the best transition process and timeliness for full transition?

Last reply
  • Can anyone answer my question?

I'm currently waiting to undergo total titanium ankle replacement surgery. During my recent CatScan .I had done, before my ankle is custom cut . From a block of titanium i suppose? The guy doing the scan asked me afterwards what's up with your bones in your leg. Well..... I Said. I didn't...

Last reply
  • 20 weeks post ORIF fibula/ankle surgery

Hello!  I'm about 5 months out from ORIF fibula surgery.  I had a plate and 8 screws inserted, one of which connects the joint and both bones just above the ankle.  I've been in pain on and off ever since I started weight bearing, which was about 8 weeks following surgery.  The...

Last reply
  • Broken my ankle post surgery advice

Hi I broke my ankle (end of tib) whilst biking in the Alps back on the 20th July, resulting in an open cast in France, and (eventually) surgery back here in the UK some weeks later. I obviously had a full cast post surgery, and went back four weeks after that for another checkup and a new cast. Two...

Last reply
  • Ankle sprain..still not better after 9 weeks.!!

Sorry in advance for the long post but I am really worried about my ankle. Nine weeks ago I fell down some steps onto a patio and severly sprained my ankle. I couldn't walk on it for over two weeks and then only on tip toe. It swelled up  so much I thought my foot would burst and although ...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.