Skip to content
Ad

Ankle Problems

Also known as Sprained Ankle

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Ankle pain for almost 2 years now after a sprain

I know only doctors can properly tell me what's wrong, but I'm hoping someone here might have some insight to what is wrong with my ankle. Almost 2 years ago, in March 2014, I sprained my ankle pretty badly playing soccer. Went to the ER the next day (because people told me it was just a sprain...

Last reply
  • Ankle Ligament Reconstruction - Pain is Unbearable

Hi, My wife did a surgery for ankle ligament reconstruction 2 weeks ago. Her surgeon fixed her torn ligament using a tendon graft (another tissue used to correct the torn ligament) and also stitched the ligament back to the bone.  Ever since the surgery my wife has been under a great amount of...

Last reply
  • Ankle Replacement Surgery

I would like to estabish contact with anyone who has undergone ankle replacement surgery and reflect a ittle on the aftereffects and the longer term prognoses for recovery and mobility. Having undergone such an operation about 9 months ago I am currently coming to terms with a less than welcome (and...

Last reply
  • Smashed ankle recovery

Hi. I fell down the stairs 2 weeks ago and smashed my ankle. I have a large plate and 8 screws. I'm due back to the fracture clinic tomorrow to have the stitches removed and cast replaced. Every time i put my foot below my hip, my toes go fat and purple, still! Is this normal because I'm worried...

Last reply
  • Had ankle fusion, day 5, more pain ?

I’m 30 yrs old man and had two joints in my ankle fused on Thursday, so its been 5 days, and I am feeling so much pain if I miss a dose of the pain killers, and the Surgeon gave me only 1 week course of pain killers,  So is it normal to have more pain after the surgery ?  And how long the severe...

Last reply
  • Post recovery .... People with plates and screws.

Does anyone with plates and screws ever feel like they are pinching or biting your ankle?   I get these sharp bites feeling a couple times a day.   Pushing on it helps.   I am almost 2 years post injury.   Also so still swells really badly when on feet a lot.  Still????  This...

Last reply
  • Fixator pin pain

Have had fixator on my ankle for 10 weeks. Over the weekend I started having a lot of pain from my shin around the pin sites. The sites look good, but it hurts when I move my leg and using walker with the leg hanging is even more painful. I am seeing dr today, but am asking if anyone else has experienced...

Posted
  • Help ! I fell on my cast

I recently had ankle surgery after breaking it and dislocations it, I’m 1.5 weeks away from getting out of the cast and into a boot. Today I fell and hit my foot with the cast it hurt a little when it happened and hurts a tiny bit now. Do you think it’s okay or should I be worried ?  Thank you in...

Last reply
  • When it rains, it pours.

As some of you may know, I've had 2 ankle surgeries, one was a revision surgery to fix a torn ligament and attempt a repair of a tendon. Neither surgery went well, the first surgeon had botched the surgery and got away with it. The second surgery tried to fix the damage he claimed wasn't...

Last reply
  • Broken Ankle Post op 6 months

I suffered a Webber B fracture distal fibula with a talar shift in June this year.  I had a plate and screws fitted. Following NWB and physio I am walking very well now.  The problem is that my ankle swells up everyday & I have a strange feeling of tightness in my foot. Where the...

Last reply
  • Cast VS. Air cast boot

Hello! Looking for advice on what you guys would do. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks out from my tendon/ligament surgery. Was in splint cast/ then cast one, cast two and PA said this Tuesday I have the option of getting another cast or go in an air cast. I haven't seen my doc since surgery so I'm  a...

Last reply
  • Sudden soreness 2 weeks out from final examination ankle fusion.

I had a talonavicular ankle fusion on July 31st. Originally the doc said it would take 18 months to heal. After the surgery he said it would only take a year as when he got into my ankle it wasnt as bad as he thought. I was in plaster for 6 weeks. I then returned and the doc said my recovery should be...

Last reply
  • 6 Weeks Post Ankle Surgery...need help!!!

Hello: I had surgery 3/2/15 for a fracture of the left tib/fib and spiral fracture of the ankle.  I had a rod inserted and 7 screws.  For 6 weeks I was non weight bearing, but 3 days ago I was told I could start partial weight bearing.  I need some guidance if anyone is out there.  First,...

Last reply
  • Infection and getting hardware removed Tuesday

i was doing fine-taking a vacation in Florida and ended up in the hospital on iv antibiotics due to an infection on top of scar where hardware is- have big plate and lots of screws- l had no idea- it was just a little red tender bump... was told to see an infectious disease doc asap and he said get hardware...

Posted
  • WBAT 2 weeks after ORIF surgery for Tri-Mal Ankle Fracture?

I am 42 years old, and was 18 weeks pregnant (baby was ok, plenty of padding!) when I lost my footing on Oct 31 descending our stairs, resulting in a displaced tri-mal fracture of my right ankle.   Eleven days following hospital admission I underwent ORIF surgery (one plate & 8 screws outer...

Posted
  • Bimalleolar ORIF July, now Achilles tendinitis

Started jogging again and now I have Achilles tendinitis, most of it in the ankle post surgery. It hurts still. I’m on steroids, anti-inflammatories, and a long acting steroid injection. I haven’t had a scan yet, I’ll probably go back this week because it’s so uncomfortable but it also radiates around...

Posted
  • Shoes post ankle fracture

In the beginning, it felt like I'd never wear 2 shoes or 2 socks again. But, here I am 16 weeks later weeding through the shoes I can wear.  I was wondering if anyone has found one shoe better than the other.  My incision burns and the it hurts to have anything rubbing on them so, I've...

Last reply
  • 8 Week Post OP Ankle Still Swollen

So I am 8 Weeks Post OP I have been weight bearing since 6 Weeks Post OP and now am walking around in a normal shoe using a ankle compression sock. I have noticed my Ankle still swells through out the day and feels a little sore by the time I get home at night in my foots arch. My Doctor has had me on...

Last reply
  • Advice for Possible Chronic Ankle Instability and "Treatment"

I need some advice on a possible case of Chronic Ankle Instability and treatement. Some background info, about five years ago, I experienced this awful ankle sprain. I think it was somewhere between a Grade 2 and a Grade 3 ankle sprain, the reason why I'm not sure is that I never went...

Last reply
  • fractured ankle

I have a fracture of my fibula which is not displaced. I did not need surgery or cast but was given a moon boot to wear for 6 weeks. This is my third week and I've noticed that the leg that has the fractured ankle is considerably thinner than my other. Is this normal?

Last reply
  • Fracture hurting much more 3 days after accident?

Hi, I broke my ankle 3 days ago. I've woken up this morning in agony. It feels like cast is pressing on my ankle bones. Is this normal? Don't go back to fracture clinic for another 4 day's. Is it 6 weeks of this....arms, hands and my good leg aching with trying to use these crutches! Fed...

Last reply
  • Second cast/ more swollen now and cast on wrong?

Hi everyone. I seem to have a lot of questions but this forum has been great for me and I'm sure others! So Monday of this week I had the second cast put on and stitches out. This cast feels so different from the first one! I feel like I'm only walking on the heel and that my calf is...

Last reply
  • Positive Story from a Broken Ankle

Like many of you, I suffered a broken ankle. Up until now it has been one of the toughest experiences to overcome. The mental recovery has been far greater than the physical one!  When I broke my ankle, had surgery, and started my recovery process, I did was most people do; I googled "broken...

Last reply
  • Ankle fusion

i haven’t had the fusion done yet. Problem for me is I have to work. Has anyone been in the same position I’m in now?

Last reply
  • Moon boot

I am in a moon boot I have stress fracture in my right foot took doctors 8 weeks to figure it out and now I am wearing a moon boot. Dr said I can take it off to drive. I have to see her again in a month get another ct scan. If in a moon boot can I clean house and walk around or should I still elevate...

Last reply
  • Pain from walking aids

Hi. I have broken 2 bones in my left ankle and am due to have surgery to inserts a couple of plates next week. At the moment I am wearing a very heavy immobilising cast to allow the swelling to go down. I keep the leg elevated all of the time except when I need to use the bathroom. I have a walking frame...

Last reply
  • Triple arthrodesis July 2017

I have had an ankle triple arthrodesis in July 2017. 12 yrs previous to that I had a calcu osteotomy on both feet due to collapsed arches. I have just had first triple fusion done in July and I am out of my cast in an air boot. Still get pain burning swelling. Can’t walk without crutches and god knows...

Last reply
  • Fibula Fracture

Hi, 27 Oct. I fractured my R fibula due to a simple fall. 1 week brace plus 3 weeks plaster. Doctors not very much with patients so im very uninformed with the issue. Its my first bone to break First doctor saw me said that its simple oblique fracture needs at least 3 weeks of immobilization. Ultrasonography...

Last reply
  • Using a circulation booster post ankle arthroscopy

Hi I’ve just had an ankle arthroscopy and trying to do some research of aiding recovery  I’ve got one of these circulation boosters - https://www.revitive.com/revitive-medic/ Just wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on if and when this would be safe to use 

Last reply
  • Bimalleolar fracture

I have just come out of NWB casts on both legs as treatment for bimalleolar fractures in both ankles. I was lucky I did not need surgery but am now wondering how long it is likely to be before I can get about reasonably normally. I start physio next week.

Last reply
  • Fixator

I broke botth the tibia and tibia in my ankle in early Oct. They put me in a fixator immediately. Seen my dr yesterday and he wants me to continue with it for three more weeks. Is this normal? I can hardly get around at all. I am going crazy as I have to rely on others for so many things

Last reply
  • Hardware Removal

Has anyone had plates and screws removed from ankle ?  What is the recovery like and how long is it?  

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.