Skip to content

Ankle Problems

Also known as Sprained Ankle

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Triple Arthrodesis with Achilles lengthening

Hi everyone I had a triple arthrodesis of right foot  and my Achilles lengthened on the 8th March 2018 . I was absolutely terrified about the length of the recovery process and the pain that I had read about in so many blogs . Well I just wanted to add my story as I know every one is different....

Last reply
  • Weight bearing after Ankle Surgery

So I have previously posted a few questions regarding recovery from a peroneal tendon repairment. My current question is just that I might have to wait out for physio but was adviced by a nurse that I should start asap (not to mention I do sports and I am planning to start training on the next season...

Last reply
  • Trimalleolar fracture

I’ve posted in here a few times but now I’m wondering about the recovery process as my normal doctor won’t be at my next appointment. I had surgery on the 24th of May. Had a splint for 2 weeks. Have been in a cast for 2 weeks and now 2 more to go.  Just wondering from those who have had this break...

Last reply
  • Neuropathy following ankle fusion

So, I had my sub-talar and navicular fusion in October of 2017 (8 months ago).  The facility used two catheter nerve blocks on my upper thigh.  The blocks are kept in for 4 days post surgery.  They were great however, once they were removed I noticed a numb patch on the top of my foot...

Last reply
  • TAR surgery in near future

I've read the ankle replacement forum for some time now (about 20 pages worth).  My wife had a tri-malleolar break four+ years ago.  The cartilage is gone.  She's a candidate for TAR, and has investigated two docs here in Virginia:  Dr. Cooper at Georgetown and Dr Schipper...

Last reply
  • Talo Navicular Fusion in a week and very anxious!

I have been waiting for this surgery since before xmas and had it cancelled twice. Now I'm a week away and although I am in so much pain with my foot I am getting reallyanxious about the surgery. I'm not worried about the recovery as I have lined up plenty to do and have an I-walk to get around....

Last reply
  • Tibiotalar Ankle Fusion rehabilitation

Hi guys, I had my fusion on 26 February and it's now 12 weeks post op. I've been able to walk in my space boot with and without crutches for about 4 weeks but I don't feel any improvement in ability after these 4 weeks. If I push myself and walk 500 metres or so (using my sons stroller for...

Last reply
  • Plantar fasciitis 12 weeks post op from TAR

Question: did other TARs get plantar fasciitis when they began weight bearing more? It came on suddenly at 11 weeks post op when I tried to move to  a cane more quickly and did too much on my feet wearing boot and using no crutches/walker. If so, how’d you get past it? Prior to this I’d had zero...

Posted
  • Pain at 20 weeks post op ankle fusion

Hi, I'm in aircast boot at 20 weeks post op ankle fusion and I am experiencing terrible pain in side of foot. Keeps me awake at night, burning stabbing pain that is continous, I am using ice packs during the day that ease it for a while but once it's back it's awful. Has anybody else experienced...

Last reply
  • Healing with an aircast after 6 weeks

Hello all! I have been in this aircast for 6 weeks due to a fractured foot. I had my checkup today and the doctor gave me the go ahead to start walking on it (with the cast on at first and then gradually take it off) I just have two little questions as I forgot to ask while I was there. 1. How do you...

Last reply
  • 8 weeks post ORIF bone not healed yet

I'm 8 weeks out, was told I had to wait 2 weeks for surgery because of swelling, so 10 weeks since fall. Been in a hard cast 8 weeks, and my appointment last week showed fibula fracture still fractured, slight improvement; I do have 8 screws and a plate. I begged for a walking boot so I can ice,...

Last reply
  • Post op Pool time - Broken Ankle

Hello everyone, I’ve been recovering from a broken fibula. A few days ago I hit my 6 weeks post op day. For the past 4 weeks I have been full weight bearing in a walking boot. My appointment is scheduled for Tuesday and the Doc mentioned taking my boot off and having me start to walk without it. ...

Last reply
  • Cracking/popping sound

I am almost 20 weeks post ORIF for three breaks in my ankle. I also broke my leg toward the middle of my calf and ruptured the ligaments in my ankle. My bones have healed well, but the ligaments are still a mess. I have been in a McDavid brace for 14 weeks, and I wear the brace most of the day. I...

Last reply
  • Ankle injury

Injured my ankle Paragliding hit the ground hard and have had several X-rays since no break but three month later still swollen and still hurting and occasion gives way causing me to stumble had an mri now and have been given a cortisone shot but just wondering if this will actually fix it  These...

Last reply
  • What's next?

So as my Physio comes to an end, my ankle only feel worse, what usually is the next step (for the NHS / doctors in general) to take? They did mention an MRI scan Previous post : --------------------- Hey guys.  So a bit of back story for those who have not followed my previous threads. Two...

Last reply
  • Cast to boot . . . what to expect?

Mid thirties female here, bimalleolar fracture with dislocation on 7/21, surgery on 8/1. In about ten days, I'm transitioning from a hard cast to a walking boot. My surgical staples will be removed the same day. I've been on a knee scooter since the third day after my injury as I'm very bad...

Last reply
  • Ankle Surgery-Screw Removal-Anyone had this done?

My first surgery for my ankle was July 8th when I had to get a rod and ten screws on my fibula about halfway up, two screws in my ankle, one at the very bottom of my tibia going up at an angle for a hairline fracture and another long screw in my fibula going straight through and into my tibia. I'm...

Last reply
  • Positive Story from a Broken Ankle

Like many of you, I suffered a broken ankle. Up until now it has been one of the toughest experiences to overcome. The mental recovery has been far greater than the physical one!  When I broke my ankle, had surgery, and started my recovery process, I did was most people do; I googled "broken...

Last reply
  • Swollen ankles

Hi all worrying a Lot with these palpitations and have noticed over the past few years have swollen ankles I do suffer with anxiety which they say the palpitations are from that but I think I've got heart disease now I've had bloods done a few months ago and ECG for palpitations which came back...

Last reply
  • Rehabilitation after ankle fusion

I had an ankle fusion 14 weeks ago and after 12 weeks in plaster, progressed to an aircast boot.  The surgeon told me to walk around the house without the boot from 14 weeks, so I've just started doing that,  but am finding I have lots of pain in the foot - below the toe and along the left...

Last reply
  • Fall with cast

Hi, I had surgery about 3 weeks ago for a trimalleolar fracture. A few hours ago I slipped on a rug and my crutches fell from under me and I put some weight on my casted ankle and kind of slid/did a little dance till I could grab the cabinet. It started swelling immediately and starting hurting (not...

Last reply
  • Trimalleolar Fracture Surgery-Pain after surgery

I had surgery yesterday, and the doctor put a plate and a number of nails (don't remember at this point) in my ankle. My foot and the back of my calf is feeling so tight and stiff, and I am in a lot of pain. The Percocet they gave me isn't really touching the pain. I called the doctor and he...

Last reply
  • Painful numbness 1 week after ORIF surgery on ankle

Hi, I had ORIF surgery on 8 June after a freak accident, I went from standing to sitting on the floor and in doing so caused a bimaleolar fracture of right ankle, shattered in 3 places! Doctor was quite shocked how much damage from such a simple act. In less that 12 hours I went down for surgery, 4 hours...

Last reply
  • Post-Ankle Break Pain and Swelling- How long will it last?

Hi all. I broke my ankle back in February 2018. Posterior and lateral malleolus fracture, along with a torn ligament. No surgery, 6 weeks in cast. I have returned back to most "normal" activity- except for sports, running, jogging, etc. I still have a great amount of swelling and have to...

Last reply
  • 6 weeks after ankle surgery

I am 6 weeks in after broken ankle surgery. Been in a walking boot for the last 1 1/2 weeks but still no wb How long does it take for foot colour to return to normal and all the feelings to come back.

Last reply
  • Numbness in my toes 8 weeks after a lateral malleolus fracture.

Hello 8 weeks ago I slipped on wet grass. I have a lateral malleolus fracture which is the fibular also chipped my tibular. I spent 6 weeks in a cast no weight bearing. I had the cast taken of 12 days ago and now have a boot. Gradually starting to weight bare. The doctor said it was 70% healed wear the...

Last reply
  • Burning/pins and needles 2 weeks post op ankle surgery

Hi guys I'm new here! It's 1am I'm trying my best to sleep but all I can feel is pins and needles in my big toe! Feels like it's never ending. I've tried to follow advice regarding keeping my foot elevated but I seem to be the only person where it makes it 50x worse?!? As soon as...

Last reply
  • Stabbing pain by incision (Ankle)

Hey guys. Im about 4 keeps post op from ORIF for a trimalleolar ankle fracture and a torn ligament. I fractured it on august 8th and had the sergury on the 10th. Im currently non-weight bearing. My doctor said i have to wait 3 months from the original surgery to have the second one(they are going to...

Last reply
  • Grade 3 Ankle Sprain - Treatment options 5 months post-injury

Hi all, I sprained my ankle really bad early Jul'17. I chose not to cast it (did an xray, fracture was ruled out) however did not know extent of ligament damage.  I wore a walking boot and was weightbearing - even though it hurt a lot. Once I could walk, I would push myself, and after a few...

Last reply
  • Fracture hurting much more 3 days after accident?

Hi, I broke my ankle 3 days ago. I've woken up this morning in agony. It feels like cast is pressing on my ankle bones. Is this normal? Don't go back to fracture clinic for another 4 day's. Is it 6 weeks of this....arms, hands and my good leg aching with trying to use these crutches! Fed...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.