Skip to content

Ankle Problems

Also known as Sprained Ankle

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Ankle Fusion confirmed by surgeon

...after a few years of agony I was referred to a consultant surgeon who recommended ankle fusion which I am going to have.   ​Our home is a second floor apartment and I have concerns about getting up and down the stairs... Any tips welcome. I can't stay in for three months and am thinking...

Last reply
  • Broken tibia and fibula - pain after a year

I broke my tib fib in February 2017. Spiral fracture. Had a fibula surgery followed by the external fixator, then tibia surgery two weeks later. It’s been over a year and I have come back to my self defense martial arts training. In prep for my black belt, I just started running and it hurts a lot where...

Last reply
  • Transitioning from crutches to FWB

I had a trimalleolar fracture and dislocation, followed by surgery. I’m 10 weeks post-op and having trouble transitioning from crutches to full weight bearing. I’ve been doing partial weight bearing for a few weeks now but just can’t seem to make that final transition! The area behind my ankle around...

Last reply
  • Positive Story from a Broken Ankle

Like many of you, I suffered a broken ankle. Up until now it has been one of the toughest experiences to overcome. The mental recovery has been far greater than the physical one!  When I broke my ankle, had surgery, and started my recovery process, I did was most people do; I googled "broken...

Last reply
  • Bone cysts

I've had years of on going ankle problems. After seeing a doctor last week I was sent to see a foot and ankle surgon yesterday. He was dismissive at first. Physio and not much else. But sent me for a stress x ray just in case. When he saw the results he was a different man. No arthritis but he could...

Last reply
  • Okay here's my story my broken ankle

For those of you who don't know I broke my ankle in two spots on the fibula and they put it back together I was supposed to stay off of it I didn't stay off of it it open the wound back up it got infected it's gotten bigger since my last week appointment I'm really nervous because my...

Last reply
  • Shaving leg, ankle after surgery

Hi daft question but any ladies out there shaved there leg, ankle after surgery, how long after, I have shaved my leg but not on the scar, just the thought of doing it, had surgery 15 Jan, walking now not aided but stiff and sore still haven't started pt yet Doctor not impressed

Last reply
  • Mri shows black hole in bone?

Hi everyone, I had an mri after suffering from ankle discomfort for a couple of months. The mri didn't show any fractures or ligament damage, but you can see a black hole in the bone that isn't suppossed to be there if I'm correct.  My doctor said nothing about this, I noticed this...

Posted
  • 4weeks post ankle surgery

I am 4weeks post ankle surgery and I am struggling to wear my boot properly, I’m too scared to bend my foot, therefore it’s not sitting flat on the boot, if I bend my foot will I be causing any damage to it? 

Last reply
  • I'm 5 weeks post the ORIF.

I had a ORIF surgery 5 weeks ago, I appreciate your quick answers to the following questions.  1) When should I start WB? next week?  2) When should I start PT?  3) usually when patients start walking normally without limping?  

Last reply
  • Long term ankle pain I've not had treated

Hi. Bit of a long one . About 8 years ago I started with a deep pain inside my foot. So deep I couldn't feel it when I pressed on the area. Outside of my foot under my ankle bone and towards to top. When it flairs up, just putting my foot on the floor slightly while walking makes it give out and...

Last reply
  • Two weeks post op ankle surgery with occasional shooting pain!

I have two plates, 8-10 screws, and some type of thin metal band. I have two incisions on both sides of my left ankle and my surgery took about 3 1/2 hours. I woke up with a boot on and felt no pain the first 24 hrs as I was given a “block” from the knee down,  then after two days of pain and I...

Last reply
  • Shower covers for boots recommendations

Good afternoon!  I'm in my 5th week of recovery of a triple arthrodesis.  On May 1 I will be going back to work and my husband will not be around to help me with the shower. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good shower cover for the boot?  I've searched on Amazon, etc.,...

Last reply
  • I am in week 4. and my doc says i have to start wb!

I had my ankle surgery 4 weeks ago and i have the following questions 1) my doc says that i should start Weight bearing and no one online agrees that patient should start WB before week 6, what do u think? 2) anybody have experience to read the x ray in week3 3) when usually Ankle surgery...

Last reply
  • CAM Boot no crutches

Hey guys! So today is my 6 week post surgery ORIF for a bimalleour ankle fracture and I have been given the all clear to full weight bare without crutches, but in camboot for another 4 weeks yay! However I have tried to walk solo just with camboot today and it’s such a struggle!!! I feel like I’m limping...

Last reply
  • Post op Ankle Surgery

Broke both sides  my ankle had  surgery 12 weeks ago and had a plate and screws put in     I was given permission to put weight on yesterday,   When I walk I have pain where when I sit and manipulate my foot I have no pain    What is the timeframe for the pain to stop...

Last reply
  • Ankle fusion problems 6 months on

I had a triple fusion on October 4th 2017. At 3 months although I was in pain X ray appeared to show bones were knitted well and I was told that a lot of internal healing had to take place and not to worry. This week at 6 months the progress is not as good as my Consultant would have expected, I can't...

Last reply
  • Random, sudden, and severe inner ankle pain?

This started about two weeks ago. My right ankle has been experiencing random bouts of very severe inner ankle pain when attempting to walk. It comes on suddenly. The pain disappears completely as long as I keep the weight off of it, and I'm able to walk again after a few minutes of rest. This...

Last reply
  • Wb

I started walking on 2 crutches for 3 weeks then 1 crutch for 2-3 weeks then no crutches.I am 6 months post op and still have a slight limp but nothing like I had.It is getting better each day

Last reply
  • When is it safe to walk on ankle avulsion fracture?

Two days ago I fell and ended up with an ankle avulsion fracture. The emergency room doctor gave me a boot and sent me home. I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon in two weeks. Am I supposed to keep all weight off my foot? Or am I allowed to walk a bit with the crutches? The ER doctor didn't...

Last reply
  • Hardware removal

I was wondering if anyone has gotten their hardware taken out of a broken ankle? If so how was the recovery afterwards?  Did it help with less pain and more flexibility ? I’m wondering in case I decide to have mine removed. I can currently feel the hardware and it causes a lot of pain and also is...

Last reply
  • Ankle fusion - recovry with small child at home

I have severe arthritis in my right ankle and have been recommended that I have an ankle fusion I am a single parent to a 4yr old who is st school. Surgeon is rather vague about recovery times so thought I'd ask here. Has anyone had the surgery and been in the same boat with having a young child....

Last reply
  • Ankle pain but I don't know why.....

I have a very bad pain in my ankle right anterior - all around the cuboid bone area and along the foot. Thought I had just strained it as had been waiting for a knee replacement and was probably favouring the other leg. It was excruitating pain and my whole foot kept cramping and wouldn't release...

Last reply
  • Update on broken talus

I wrote on here a few months ago about my fractured talus. It has been 7 months since I have broken it and it still bothers me very much. It’s weak, stiff and throbs at the end of my work shift. I went to my doctor to get an X-ray recently and he said it looks fine just the bone hasn’t mended completely...

Last reply
  • Still a pain from ankle Fusion

I have written in the past that I had ankle pain from a second ankle Fusion that I had in September of 2017 my doctor never sent me to physical therapy the first one non-union. and so we had to go in and do a second one and I have done exactly what the doctor has told me to do no weight for 6 months...

Posted
  • Hardware removal

Hey. So I am getting a screw removed Monday and I was wondering if they put you under to remove it? My surgery center hasn’t called to set anything up yet. But I know for sure the doc is gonna take a screw out.

Last reply
  • Fusion 5 days ago/ pain meds

Hi guys,  Quick back up : Had First toe fusion done April 9th.... is it normal for the pain to be this intense at this point ? And I'm almost out of Oxi... which I hate to take but I certainly need it with the Tylenol to help me get through this pain.     Has anyone run out before...

Last reply
  • Getting mobile again

I'm 9.5 post op for a severe ankle fracture and 2 weeks in a boot after my cast. In 2 weeks I'm cleared to start walking in my boot. I'm really nervous about getting back on my feet again. What advice do you have? What worked best for you to get range of motion back? How was the pain?

Last reply
  • Numbness of toes after ankle fracture surgery

Hi everybody, great forum! I am 51, broke my left ankle on a hiking trip on Friday, had a surgery on Sunday night. Generally things are getting better : much less pain, can wiggle my toes, but there is a persistent numbness on top side of big toe and  second toe. Looks like it might be some post-op...

Last reply
  • Hardware removal

I have an appt the 17th of this month to discuss hardware removal. It’s almost been a year since my Left ankle bimalleolar ORIF and it’s giving me fits intermittently. I have small ankles and am of average build. I would like some shared experiences to be given for thoughts and education. I think I’ll...

Last reply
  • Tibial plateau fracture and Ankle issues

On January 5th I was trampled with result ending in a tibial Plateau fracture. it hasn't been easy especially since I had a external fixator for two weeks before I had my surgery and now I'm non-weight-bearing for the next 8 weeks. I'm not having any pain just a lot of muscle spasms and...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.