Peroneal tendon subluxation

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi folks,

Just curious if anyone here has experienced peroneal tendon subluxation. That's where a tendon (tendons) on the lateral side of the foot slip out of the groove and move on their own, which can create a rubbing/clicking sensation near the ankle.

I just started getting this a couple of weeks ago while recovering from a bimalleolor fracture that happened in July. No surgery, just 8 weeks in a boot and 8 weeks of PT. Now this new thing (PST) comes along and I'm curious what to expect. I have an appt with my podiatrist on Monday to talk about it, and plan on getting additional opinions from other experts, if necessary, as well,

Thanks in advance for anything you can share on this topic.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi steve, how did you get on with this? Im in a brace and doing PT currently but looking at a surgical fix, did yours settle down at all?

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Yes, mine ultimately went away on its own. In fact, I had sort of self-diagnosed the PTS on my own, but when I talked to my doctors about it, they didn't really think I had it -- even though my symptoms fit it very well. After a few weeks, the symptoms subsided and ultimately disappeared.

I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with it and now facing surgery. Is it painful? Mine wasn't. It was just a noticeable click in my ankle. How did yours come about? Did you break or sprain your ankle?

Good luck with it and keep me posted on how you're doing, ok?

Cheers!

Steve

• Posted

Hi Steve,

Ive had multiple sprains and fractures over the years but nothing really major, its my bad ankle and ive always had issues with it. I sprained it playing 5 a side and felt a pop, didnt seek treatment and left it thinking it was just a sprain, was left with a clicking when i invert and evert my ankle, saw NHS physios had exercises and scans and it came to nothing, recently went through my private medical insurance and got seen by a consultant who diagnosed it, said neither physio or surgery fixes it (as it can pop again), recommended wearing a brace and doing physio for 4 weeks to see whether that settles it, due back to see him on the 4th but its currently not working. He said 6 weeks in a cast would normally sort it if it just happened, its a painful click and i have pain moving my ankle outwards, although i can walk ok! Glad you're doing ok now.

• Edited

Sam, sorry to hear that the brace and physio doesn't seem to be working at the moment. That's frustrating! I don't think PTS is very common. In fact, I think you're the first one who responded to my post about it.

So, when you walk normally, it doesn't hurt or click -- only when you invert and evert it? Well, I guess that's a small benefit since you likely don't make those motions as often as walking normally, right? For the short time that I (thought) I had it, it was very concerning, as I was worried about the unnecessary wear and tear happening inside there. It would be nice if you could get some resolution to this problem.

• Posted

Hi Steve, i get it when i walk upstairs or on uneven ground (which is quite painful), the recovery from surgery seems pretty bad, 6 weeks in a cast, then a boot etc. So just trying to find someone else who has been through it. Did you break your ankle?

• Edited

Yes, six weeks in a cast, followed by a boot seems like a long time. On a positive note, it might be a good time to catch up on any reading that you've been thinking of.

Yes, I had a bimalleolar fracture and soft-tissue damage. Didn't require surgery. I was in a boot for about 6 weeks, followed by physical therapy. This happened in July of 2022. I still have a limp when I first get up from sitting, but it goes away after that. I also don't have the same flexibility in the foot as I did before. But, I guess things could have been worse.

It's surprising that no one else on this forum has PTS. As I mentioned before, I think it's pretty rare. It would be nice if you could find someone who's had it so you can learn about their particular experience.

• Posted

Hi Steve! Thanks for the reply, if youve got any book recommendations send them my way! Jeez, 6 weeks in a boot sounds rough, hope you're ok now.

Been stuck in a brace for 5 weeks now and i'll be glad to see the back of it!

• Edited

Hi Sam, sorry so tardy in responding.

Just wondering how you're doing and what the latest is on your PTS?

As for book recommendations, for the past few years, I've been very interested in reading stories of people who have died and been resuscitated and what they saw/experienced while "dead." They call these Near Death Experiences. So, that topic has been a big focus for me for awhile. There are also tons of NDE stories on YouTube, which I find intriguing.

Let me know how you're doing. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.