A Very Rare Pure Ankle Dislocation Experience

Posted ,

It all started on Aug 19, 2023. I injured my ankle after jumping over a fence and landed my left ankle on an uneven surface. First I thought that I sprained my ankle until I looked at my injury to realize it was more than "just an ankle sprain". My girlfriend immediately drove me to the ED. Given my condition, I got expedite as a trauma case to see a ED doctor immediately for proper diagnosis and treatment. Soon after, I was diagnosed as ankle dislocation. X-ray was conducted immediately showing the ankle was dislocated without any associated fractures. Everybody in ED was surprised as this condition is called pure ankle dislocation which is very rare contributing less than 1% of ankle dislocation cases.

Closed reduction was performed and a second X-Ray was done to confirm bone alignment of the injured area. I was then sent home with painkillers, crutches and an aircast boot with immobilized restriction.

I was referred to an orthopedic for proper follow up. MRI was also done to confirm I had multiple torn ligaments around my ankle. I was transferred in to a cast for 3 weeks with NWB. Cast came off after 3 weeks to go back to a aircast boot with NWB for 2 weeks. TTWB was allowed at week 5 and was sent to physiotherapy for rehab. FWB was allowed at 7 weeks and so I can begin my recovery.

The whole recovery experience was filled with anger, pain, frustration, and anxious for not knowing my recovery plan. I am now doing PT 2x per week, exercises assigned by PT everyday, acupuncture 2x per week, stationary bike for 30 mins and hydrotherapy 2x a week.

Pure ankle dislocation is so rare that I could not find any patient experience to reference to. I hope this will get to some of you with similar diagnosis!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.