Broken Tibia and Fibula recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I fell and broke my tibia Fibula and 3 Metatarsal bones . I had surgery 2 and a half weeks later due to A&E not noticing the severity of the breaks . As i had already started to heal the Surgeon had to break through the new bone growth I was told that the surgery was complicated . I have two plates and 12 screws .

My question is 17 days after surgery what stage should i be at ?

I know everyone is different and will have different injuries and healing times bit I feel i'm not doing enough .

I cant use crutches so i'm hopping with a walker . I'm confined to my upstairs bedroom which is next to the bathroom and all i manage is to go to the bathroom and back , apart from that iv stayed in bed with my leg elevated .

My son brings food snacks and drinks to my room .

My partner says I should be trying to get down stairs and eat at the table and sit on sofa etc . I went downstairs once 2 weeks ago when i had to go to the hospital but shuffling down the stairs on my backside and a bit of crawling was not much fun and exhausting .

Im not even getting dressed , I just wash and put a nighty on .

Im 60 ( tomorrow ) and in good health otherwise , am I just being lazy ?

How have others coped ? especially if you have children ?

The road ahead just seems so frightening and daunting .

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear of your injury. I am only 3 weeks post-op having broken my tib, fib and ankle. My daily routine sounds similar to yours. I'm in bed upstairs all day every day with my foot elevated. My wife is doing everything for me and we have two young children too.

I find the night times difficult as I'm not sleeping well at all. I'm in a boot 24/7 and have heel pressure pain which keeps me awake most of night. It has been a struggle and I'm expecting many months of frustration and pain ahead. My goal is to accept that and do all I can to be fit again for my family. I will be having physio from the new year (I have no weight bearing until then).

The op itself was a metal plate and screws for my bones and pins for my ankle. I will just be happy to be walking freely towards the end of summer.

• Posted

hello Craig , I am sorry to hear of your accident and predicament which sounds so similar to mine . I am now 4 weeks post op and the last week had been slightly easier . I acquired a basic wheelchair , my arms are now stronger so hauling myself up and down the stairs is a little easier . I climb into the wheel chair at the bottom of the stairs and as my downstairs is open plan i'm able to scoot myself around downstairs using my good leg to push myself forward . Its not a wheelchair with high wheels that you operate yourself but its still easy to manoeuvre on my own . Iv managed to make myself snacks , wash up and do other small chores , it was so liberating ! but i still spend a lot of time resting in bed .

my next appointment is on 22nd December , I'm hoping to have the cast off then and maybe into a boot ? Recovery wise Im unsure of the time frame , my surgeon said 3 -4 months but to fully recover a year ! I am a carer for my elderly Mother so the prospect of not being able to drive or walk properly for a couple more months at least is scaring the life out of me . I also look after my grandchildren so my daughter can work part time so me not being able to help my family is the worst part . I feel for you having little ones at home to care for .

Did your surgeon say to aim for late summer for recovery or is that your own goal ?

I don't know what to say about your heel pain as Im not in a boot ( yet ) but i find placing pillows under my foot and in between my lower legs helps . I was given codeine for pain but they make me nauseas and actually the bone pain has almost gone , I just get burning stinging and tingling constantly , which Im guessing is nerve damage .

I hope your recovery goes well , keep

positive and rejoice even the small achievements that you can make every day .

• Posted

hello , sorry to hear of your injury , i had a similar one to yours i broke my tibia and fibula ( bimalleolaire) i had metal plate and screws the problems i'm 7weeks post op with a cast and i sometimes not all the times feel my ankle clicking is it normal does that happen to you too and thank you ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.