Jerking sensation post ankle surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been having jerking Sensations in my ankle not even a week after surgery is this normal and am I causing damage when it jerks this is very scary .

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

It's not abnormal at all. I had the same thing for a few months post ankle fusion and I wondered if it was causing damage to the surgery or not. It certainly hurt every time it happened. I wouldn't worry though, it's not going to harm your surgery.

• Edited

thankyou...I had xrays since..and everything is good..just very scary!

• Edited

Oh yes, very normal. Your ankle has just been traumatized. My ankle jumped and jerked for no reason for at least 2-3 months after being broken and operated on. There is also a terrible burning sensation as your bone heals. And often there will be a knot at the break of extra bone that will smooth out in time. It is just the body over building the bone to make it stronger, it goes awaÿ.

GOOD LUCK!

• Edited

yes!!!!it does burn..it gets very, very hot...so now I know it's a good thing ,whew...thankyou!

• Edited

Hi, I had the same thing happen to me right after surgery. They are scary as some were quite violent, especially at night. They went away quite quickly, within a few days.My ankle seems to be fine. I'm 5 weeks post surgery. Hope this will help set your mind at rest.

• Edited

yes..night is the worse. .I'm 3 weeks post op..start therapy today!

• Edited

I agree this is totally normal, I got this everytime i tried to fall asleep it freaked me out and was so painful I was worried I was doing damage. For me it stopped after a week or so. So don't worry you will get there x

• Posted

yes.I was afraid to sleep..it has subsided, .just little twitching here and there..ty!!

• Posted

Mine is 6-months post ankle surgery and the second ankle surgery is 10-days post with even worse jerking, jumping and girating . Worried that it has messed up my second ankle surgery by good doctor, the first doctor was a sharlaton..

• Posted

I had my initial left ankle arthroscopic surgery in June 2023 , but surgeon didnt fix ehst he said except for take small toenail/bone spur out of toe, but repairing mitochondria lesion from fractured ankle, etc. didn't happen but soon after foot and ankle started jumping at night while asleep. It was junping, jerking and shaking violently every night, but surgeopn would brush it off all the way until last visit witb him. Not good and to male matters worse thr shoe orthotics he had especially made for me to put in shoes at 6-wks weight bearing time caused more harm to ankle ans foot with the break/fracture still evident. I get a second opinion about ankle and nothing was done by first surgeon so second surgeon said probably merve damage from first bad surgeon. Second surgery two weeks ago 6-months since first one and second surgeon repaired fracture and mitchondrion lesion, etc. And yes, left foot and ankle is still jumping, jerking violently at night scared that my surgery post only 10-days and stitches will be out Jan 2, 2024, Praise God!!! Thank you, Jesus Christ!!! I pray that it hasn't undone anything that my new, good surgeon has done. I have lived on a knee scooter for over 6-months and will need it going into 2024 until weight bearing around January31, 2024! O will the need a boot, therapy, and knee scooter for additional time. This jerking and jumping is sooooo scary and painful. This jerking and jumping has been 6-montbs going strong!!! Please pray for me that this will stop and that this ankle is healed finally in the name of Jesus so I can look like a lady with my heals on again. I love dressing in my dresses and high heels as a woman. 2024 here I come!!!

Thank you and God bless for sharing your post surgery ankle and foot night jerking and pain occurances .

Doc T in Houston,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.