Sudden exertions causing acute pain at ankle/top of foot

Posted , 2 users are following.

A few months ago I experienced an acute pain while playing tennis. I was turning/launching off my right foot, and the pain was at the top of the foot - where it meets the ankle (see attached image). It subsided after a few minutes, but happened again whenever I launched or turned on that foot.

Ever since then I have been experiencing similar extreme bursts of pain at the same location whenever I make certain types of sudden movement with my foot. The most extreme pain is caused when I simply remove my sock quickly. This involves a sudden upwards movement of the foot, as well as a slight rotation. When this happens I am in extreme pain throbbing pain for a minute or two before it dies down.

The pain also occurs when I launch/turn on that foot while playing tennis or badminton. It can also happen when I am walking upstairs (on deep steps), or randomly when walking down the street. I have been wearing an ankle brace when playing badminton for the last 5 years, following an ankle sprain, but have had to stop wearing it because it makes the pain worse - probably because it causes the sports shoe to fit more tightly around the foot. I'm not sure if this might have contributed to the cause of the problem.

There is no restricted movement in any direction compared to my other foot. I can stand, crouch, stretch, lift, and stand on one leg without any pain. I only experience the pain when I make sudden exertions.

I saw a physio about it today. He said he thought it might be a problem with the subtalar joint (becoming inflamed). He tried a number of exercises on me. The only one that caused slight (and brief) pain was a calf stretch - against a wall, but it was very brief and I couldn't repeat it. He has recommended a few exercises to help strengthen the relevant muscles - i.e. to manage the pain.

I was wondering whether anyone else had experienced similar, and can suggest other possible causes/treatments?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

,,,just to add...I've been doing more of the calf stretches (facing against a wall) and I can reproduce the pain just by repeating the stretches

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.