still limping after 16 weeks

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I broke my ankle 16 weeks ago (Weber b fracture, falling down flight of stairs) and I am still limping quite badly. (no crutches or boot).  My foot still doesn't  bend downwards.  It is still painful too all around the ankle, mostly aching but really sharp pains too when I have been walking on it all day. It is also swollen, and my toes are too and all around the ankle I get small , purple thread veins where the pain and swelling is.  Is anyone else at this stage or further on, and does this improve? I know every break is different but I would love to hear from others at a similar stage.  Thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Julie !

I am 17 weeks post broken ankle operation. Plates and screws and surgeon says I'm the worse end of the spectrum regarding ankle breaks. Broke 3 bones and a dislocation. I wear the can/ moon boot when out and at home I'm out of the boot but use a crutch. I too limp very badly and couldn't possibly go outside without boot and unaided just in shoes. My ankle and foot swell up. I have numbness around outer ankle, two of my toes hurt ( due to another fall because a doctor / nurse told me go home, take boot off and try to walk) I fell and was in AGONY! Further X-ray didn't show a broken foot thank goodness but put me back with my recovery ! I have the purple viens too. I get all types of pains from time to time. Movement is restricted although having physiotherapy. I am depressed with it all and still not at work due to standing on my feet all day and in a very demanding job on my feet. Are you back at work? I have a plate running down the front of my ankle too on the Tibia bone and I feel at times as if it's being strangled. I get stabbing pains in the inner ankle and wonder if it's the two screws? I feel your pain and distress because I'm in the same boat and if you people haven't had this injury I don't think they can understand. It's frustrating to hear ignorant people telling me I should be back at work now. Well I'm sorry I can't walk and how the hell can I work. I hear you Julie. Keep me posted and let's compare notes please. All the best with this nightmare. Keep positive and we will both get there.

• Posted

I  have fractured and broken my ankle and I really recommend getting some comfrey ointment to put on your ankle to aid the bone repair.

It's nothing short of a miracle cure.

You can buy comfrey cream in a tube, however I recommend using the root for the most effective treatment.

Take the root, peel it and blend with a small amount of water until it becomes a jelly like consistency, apply to the affected area and leave wrapped for 3-5 days.

The results are amazing!!

Also use other supplements: Coral calcium, NAG, MSM and Glucosamine Sulphate. I hope all this helps and God Bless!!

• Posted

Hi Josh.

I've never heard of it but have copied the name and will definitely try to get my hands on some. Thank you very much for the recommendation !

• Posted

Hi , yes I am back at work , I work with my hubby so I have just been sat with leg up doing office duties! I'm having physio but as yet it's not helping much with my foot moving downwards. Both hubby and daughter say I'm walking much better than I was a couple of weeks ago but it still feels really stiff especially after I've been sitting down. I get sharp pains when I'm out shopping and I have to stop and rest it or I hobble  a bit and people tend to stare at me like I'm a wino! it's times like these I need a big badge saying 'recovering from a broken ankle' !  Yours does sound particularly nasty and I really feel for you. If you haven't had a broken ankle you can't understand how painful and frustrating it is.  I've had so many people asking me how I'm doing and telling me I 'm limping (!!) and   I just smile and say yes thanks it's getting there slowly, but I really want to say 'No I'm limping because I fell down a flight of stairs and smashed my ankle to bits!! 😳   Thanks to everyone who understands !! and best wishes to you in your recovery (trying to stay positive! Lol!!😃)
  • Posted

Hi Julie, 

I feel your pain. This injury truly takes a lot of patience. I'm a 13 weeks post weber a fracture. My ankle is hurting more now than it ever has. I was going to PT and I was doing pretty good. He pulled very hard on my ankle last week and had me lift my weight on my injury foot and now I've regressed. The pain has kept me awakes for days and my ankle swelled. The incision is bright red and the skin around the incision is red and feel burned. I went to the doctor because I thought maybe he pulled something apart. It was xrayed and told the bone is healed and to put the boot back on for a while and light up on the exercise. I have done this, but my ankle is very sore and super stiff now.  I thought I was on my way, but now I'm trying not to be bummed about this. I'm back to icing, elevating and imobilizing. It seems like 2 steps forward and 1 back. Are you doing PT?  According to him we have to not over do it or it decreases progression. I think he's feeling very guilty about his part of injuring me again. He is emailing me everyday to see how I am. Wishing us all some healing light to our ankles. Merry Christmas one and all and to all a good night.

• Posted

Hi Linda,  bless you! that sounds awful, I'm hoping the physio will help with getting more movement back but like you I don't want to overdo it. Mine too is really stiff especially after sitting down or first thing in the morning. I sort of drag my foot along until it 'loosens' up a little!  I'm lucky though as I didn't have surgery like most of you , it must be awful, I just escaped it as he said that it hadn't moved and I kept it still for 2 weeks!!  I hope your physio goes easier on your next visit!  Best wishes and good luck in your recovery😊
  • Posted

Hello Julie,   Im presuming you had your ankle in plaster?  I can only tell you my own experience which happened when I was in my mid-30's.  After I came out of the plaster there was no pain at all which surprised me but I had lost some of the downward movement in my foot due to a shortening of the tendon going to the large toe.  This never improved and over the years it never affected my walking but now I do have an arthritic ankle.  You dont mention your age, it could be I was quite young when this happened and if you are much older maybe it takes a lot longer to recover.  Talk to your physio department and see if they can give you advice.  Best wishes for the new year.
    • Posted

Hi dbee, yes I was in cast for 6 weeks then air boot for next 6 weeks. I'm 49 and I know the age thing probably does have a lot to do with how quick you recover from this injury. I'm definitely going to mention to my physio on next appointment my concerns over my foot not bending downwards properly, my hubby keeps telling me it will come back as soon as I get my calf muscles working properly again??  not sure how it works! My consultant said it could be upto 12 months before I get 80-90% movement back and the swelling will go. Thanks and best wishes
  • Posted

Hi Julie, I'm 16 weeks too with a weber B fracture left ankle. Got 10 screws in the plate and 2 long screws the other side. Physio is really important at this stage as it does begin to free up the motion in the ankle. Started doing mine from day one, it does hurt but when it does I stop then go back to it later. Take painkillers to.push through any pain before you start exercises. It may help with the swelling too. My foot is still swollen but closer to the ankle and not much at the toes end. If I'm walking for half hour I do feel it nut raise the foot as soon as I can. I can point the foot down fully and have 10% pointing the foot up from.the floor, Bern told 15% is where it should be. Get the physio to assess where you are as I believe you should be able to point the foot down fully by now. Physio is really important to get you there. It's bloody hard specially trying to raise body weight on the bad ankle. But be patient and you'll get there. Wishing you a speedy recovery from the weber B gang
    • Posted

Hi John, Its my left one too, I know physio is very important and to be honest before Xmas I did forget to do my exercises on some days.  I know I need to do them religiously if I want to see any improvement.  I can point my foot down a little but nowhere near like the good foot yet.  My physio said I have good movement in it but I obviously need to work harder at it and through the pain.  I can raise my bodyweight on it (for a millisecond!) but it is very painful and feels as if something may snap!  Best wishes to you and the weber B gang !lol

• Posted

Hi Julie. I'm over 3 months since my ankle break & 3 pins, no plates.

Ive been discharged from Orthopeadic clinic & am at week 4 of physio.

Im still unable to walk unaided without crutches, and still not working as my job is in car rental business which is physical and 10 hours a day minimum.

It frustrates me when I'm being questioned for taking so long to recover.

My foot bends backwards and forwards, but unable to squat, as my calf mussels are really tight. I'm able to wear my normal shoes, but my foot is still very tender if I place it down firstly and my ankle is still swollen. I regularly get really fed up and wonder if I will ever walk again unaided.

My foot also changes colour from purple-blue then similar colour as my good foot. When I complain about my lack of recovery at hospital, I'm told that a normal ankle break can take 3 months to recovery, any metalwork 6 months, and up to 12 months before swelling becomes manageable. I was hoping to be back at work by Christmas, I've been given a sick note till NYE, but told I will need another 2 weeks sick note. I just feel that this chapter in my life is never ending. I do sympathise with everybody in the same or similar situation as myself, it is hard but we will all get there with support from us all. Let's hope for a better a New Year and look forward to summer

• Posted

hi paul, thanks for reply i know what you mean people can be quite ignorant when it comes to things they dont understand, it frustrates me too about how long it takes to recover from this but I'm lucky that I work with my hubby so he knows what Im going through.  I cant squat down to pick stuff up too and i end up on my knees or bending over at a funny angle, my calf muscles are stiff too and it is painful when trying to squat. my left calf muscle is still slightly smaller than the other one. Like yours my left leg is a different colour to my right,slightly pinker.also more veins are visible and quite pronounced on my bad ankle. Its a mammoth job trying to get my shoe on and I struggle to squash it in even though theyre one size bigger shoes, leaving the house in a hurry is not an option! my limp isnt as bad if a walk really slow and like you a couple of weeks ago I couldnt imagine walking without a crutch but I forgot it and left it at home a couple of times and just walked really slow, now I'm better walking without it! when i look back to just a a couple of weeks ago, I have improved a lot,  without realising it. Its just taking time and i just worry about the limp. I was told upto 12 months recovery and 80- 90% movement back.  Best wishes for the New Year and good luck in your recovery too.
  • Posted

I  have fractured and broken my ankle and I really recommend getting some comfrey ointment to put on your ankle to aid the bone repair.

It's nothing short of a miracle cure.

You can buy comfrey cream in a tube, however I recommend using the root for the most effective treatment.

Take the root, peel it and blend with a small amount of water until it becomes a jelly like consistency, apply to the affected area and leave wrapped for 3-5 days.

The results are amazing!!

Also use other supplements: Coral calcium, NAG, MSM and Glucosamine Sulphate.

I hope all this helps and God Bless!!

• Posted

Hi Josh Thanks, i will look into that it sounds good lol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.