Wearing heels after ankle surgery

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi to all the ladies, 

Has anyone ever gone back to wearing heels after they have recovered from ankle surgery? 

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had an ankle fusion so no heels, for me and I still have swelling, so limited in what I can wear anytime.
  • Posted

Depends what kind of surgery. I had a compound fracture to my ankle 20 years ago and since have been able to wear a small kitten heel and wedges. I would often pay for it the next day with pain and soreness. However my pain and arthritis has gotten the best of me with age. I just had a fusion last week. I'm not expecting to be able to wear heels again. It sucks big time as a total girly girl who likes to look sexy. sad Good luck, hope ya get to rock some sexy heels again. smile 

• Edited

That is such a good question!  I will be curious to see your replies.  I have a plate and screws from my broken fibula. It has been 12 weeks now and I am pretty much back to normal.  The swelling is down and I have excellent mobility.  I have one pair of boots that rub the incision area that are not comfortable yet.   Physically, my feet and legs would be fine in heels!  Mentally- no way!  The mere thought  of losing my balance, or slipping, or anything that could turn my ankle completely scares me.  My family went skiing last week and I chose to just watch!  I never want to go through the experience of another break and I find I am totally nervous and protective of my ankles!!   So, not sure when things like heels or skiing will seem like a good idea again, if ever!
    • Posted

I had the same procedure w/ plate and screws in august 2017. I have yet to wear heels, i will start w wedge but i still feel discomfort. I am terrified that j will becer be able to wear them again. The thought of rolling my ankke and falling again freaks me the crap out
    • Posted

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  I was never comfortable in heels but would wear them occasionally.  I don't think I'll ever wear them again for the same reason....I am terrified to go through this again.

• Posted

Hi. i had the same injury. I would love to know about your improvement and how things are for you now. I'm really scared I won't be able to wear heels ever again 😢

• Posted

Paris,

Why would anyone relish the thought of wearing pumps again after an ankle tragedy? Isn't that sort of like wanting a bit more of 'the dog that bit me', to put it in a drinker's parlance?

If you heal perfectly and have no pain or limitations perhaps you could settle for low-medium height heel dress shoes (but I am not advocating that).

Good luck to you.

• Edited

It’s been 8 months since my fall and the ORIF surgery to repair my ankle. I have never really enjoyed wearing  sneakers but I cannot walk well or tolerate heels or any flats. My favorite shoes and boots just sit and sadly wait in my closet.  I did find that I could wear my Uggs and they actually helped support my ankle.  They are neither cute or sexy but they were comfortable for the winter and didn’t irritate the multiple

scars on my ankle.  I fell in flip flops so I will never wear those again. Ever.  I’m afraid to try sandals. 

I have yet another surgery scheduled in two weeks to remove the plate over the lisfranc region of my foot. I hope this procedure allows  for a more normal and comfortable gait and that I can wear real shoes again at some point in the future. 

Good luck to you. 

• Posted

Hi! Do you have an update after the more recent surgery?

It's been over 15 months since I first injured my ankle in a car accident. I had 3 surgeries within the first 4 months, with the last one being at the end of January 2018.

I can now make the choice to remove some of the plates, but my surgeon expects little to no improvement as a result. My right foot has been stuck in a 90 degree angle position since the injury/surgeries.

I love heels & they're basically all I wore before. This injury has caused a lot of psychological damage, along with the obvious physical, which no one seems to relate to or understand. I get upset when I see heels I like. I gave away every last pair I owned b/c I couldn't look at them anymore. I don't feel like myself in public 100% of the time.

A new issue has arisen now that I am seeking new employment. I was let go from my job for being unable to do the things that have always been expected of me. Heels are pretty much required for business/business casual work attire, even for interviews. I'm at a loss as to what I can wear as a substitute for heels, especially with dresses & skirts.

I know this is all underneath someone else's response (sorry!), but does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thank you!

• Posted

Hi ... I just read ur comment and I can say for myself. after 2 yrs and half I'm almost feeling back to normal. Not being able to wear heels is... sad and really no one will understand how u feel unless they have been in ur shoes. I used to crave the attention for my bf to understand how I felt but I finally told myself no one will understand. u feel like u can no longer be sexy with no heels. u can always try buying the low heels and flats which I wear alot. I recently bought my 3 inch heels and still could not wear them all day. have u done physical therapy? that helped me alot. The only difference is my doctor never recommended me to take off my plates anytime soon but hang in there. I've learned to be so much patient unlike before . But now I am working out running but cant so alot of jumping like jump squats.

• Posted

I am so sorry about your accident. Losing mobility is a life changing experience. I decided to have one of the plates removed and it helped.

I tried some booties, Blondos that a clerk at Dillards suggested. I've worn them most of the winter And the heel helped my mobility some by stretching the stiff tendons. They are available online as well.

I had to rethink my business wear and let go of my hopes of returning to heels. My self worth is not tied to my looks at all but it was a blow and down right depressing. I'm not sure what I will wear this spring and summer but hopefully the same clerk can help me.

Talk with someone about your feelings and as time passes it does get better. Best wishes on your interviews.

karen

• Edited

After 1.5 years, I am probably as near normal as I will be. In my case, it is time that has been my friend. I can wear heels now if I choose. Back to normal? No. But very livable, yes.

For what seemed like the longest time, I was wearing flats and using my bad foot like a rudder on a boat, perpendicular to my good foot. I could do some stairs alternating feet like normal, but certainly not going downstairs, which I still do step by step.

My biggest break was my son's beach wedding. Walking on sand for four days proved to be the best physical therapy ever.

Removing hardware is not an option for me.

Fear is probably what slows me from walking normally down stairs.

I continue to be super vigilant about any possible fall.

When I first posted here, I was feeling down, scared, and pessimistic. Perhaps my impatience got the best of me. My orthopedist projected 1-1.5 years to resume to some modicum of normalcy. He was on target, for me.

• Posted

hi. i had the same surgery and I love heels too 😓 would love to know how you're dealing with it and whether its possible for us to wear them again in future.

• Posted

Hi. i recently had my ankle surgery with frame. I would really love to know about your improvement over time. I love heels and I'm really scared I won't be able to wear them ever again. But your post has given me some hope. Please i would love to hear from you.

• Edited

hi im suprised people are still looking at this. but i broke my ankle 2016 its now 2022 so its been least 5 yrs for sure. u can contact me via email if u would like as well. But im doing alot better. i still dont wear my 5 inch heels but im scared too. i can wear my 3 inch and im okay. I'm not going to lie it still hurts on a daily . i still go do my zumba and run here and there . i actually work for a podiatry office and they had told me i could take my plate and 10 screws out but i havent yet. it does get better. but years of this hardware i have arthritis now. I would not recommend walking long distance with heels. i also started wearing cowboys boots more often instead of heels. keep your head up. Ana

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

so sorry about your experience. I too injured my ankle in a car accident unlike yours mine does not get to 90 degrees and stuck in a wedge position so I am stuck wearing wedged heels. It doesn't help the pain at all. The surgeon said the next best thing is to fuse the joints in that position.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.