Wearing heels after ankle surgery

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi to all the ladies, 

Has anyone ever gone back to wearing heels after they have recovered from ankle surgery? 

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had TT fusion 10 years ago. Dr gave foot slight angle, so I could wear some heel, but anything over 2 cm threw my hips out.
  • Posted

Sadly i have not been able to go back to my heels. It will be 2 years in august, but i have 2 plates and 8 screws. I miss my heels miss dancing in them they still sit in my closet. I have bought wedges and i was able to wear them for about half a day only. it sucks to go to places in flats and be so short while trying to be cute. Ive gotten comfortable wearing boots with dresses now a days but i live in texas. Hope u get to wear them soon.
  • Posted

I don't know that I could wear a high heel daily, but 10 months' post ORIF surgery, I can walk in heels. I'd been wearing flats outside, gone barefoot inside, and still, I walk with a noticable limp. I move much better in any platform shoe, a heel or a wedge. The elevation decreases the range of motion that I need while barefoot or in a flat shoe, making my limp less obvious and allowing me to feel far less conspicuous when I walk.

• Posted

Hi! I had subtalar fusion 6.5 years ago and I can wear heels! Definitely not for long periods of time and not too high (my 4" heels have long since been given away). I think I have pretty good mobility and range of motion for someone who's had this surgery and I don't know what you've had done, so I'm not sure this will help. But I wanted to give you hope!

• Posted

I still haven't gone back to wearing heels since my subtalar fusion in March. 2019. Does anyone know if Fly London shoes can be worn. They have a bit of a rocker sole. In the past. my podiatrist had recommended them. However, that was years before the fusion. I need dressier shoes in a few weeks and nothing fits now. Before the fusion my feet were 2 sizes different. Now, there may only be 1 1/2 or at most one size difference. I have had to buy 2 pairs of shoes with different sizes each time. Unfortunately, I gave most of the alternate mismatched shoes away. I also had an extensive spinal fusion last year (T4-S2), plus I will need a knee replacement soon, I have to walk with a cane. Any shoe advice would be greatly appreciated. I just had abdominal surgery 2 days ago, so I might have to shop for shoes online until I am up and about.

• Posted

Hi I have been told that I need to have subtalar fusion, or at least they say this is my best option . I wonder if you could tell me how it was for you as I am terrified!! I have subtalar impingement with bone spurs. I too haven't been able to wear heels for 5 years now was wondering if I would after having the surgery. Thanks so much .

• Posted

After physical therapy following a subtalar fusion 15 yrs ago, i was able to return to heals - 2.5" max Now following a car accident where i had a compound fracture, I was looking at an ankle replacement but due to other complications it will probably be an ankle fusion. From what I am reading, it sounds like no more heals. that is devastating to someone who has worn a 2" heal every day for almost 50 years. Has anyone been able to return to a heal after a fusion?

• Edited

I saw this post when I was googling heels and ORIF surgery (was hoping there's so cute ones out there that don't look like something your great grandmother wore back in the day. In 2017 I had ORIF surgery on my left fibula (I broke entirely). I was in a wheel chair for about a month then crutches for almost a month. Then I got my "boot". Happiest day ever! The hardest thing was learning how to shower without falling into the tub and cracking your neck like an egg. When I finally leveled up to crutches, it was learning how to get to & from my 3rd floor apt (no elevator so yes, bum scoot). Do we ever take things for granted!! Anyway, 3 years later and I learned (some from trial and error but mostly from my awesome surgeon) that I would break any other bone before I would break the titanium plate pins, and screws (that's some NASA s***!). So I lived as normal as possible. Started hiking the easy trails (then trecherous) of BC, Canada where I live now. At first I was was nervous. Now I don't give it a second thought. It is great therapy!! This winter I am going to learn how to snow board. I'll fall down and my face will hurt but it will be worth it! Flats, flip flops, and high heels are a no no. If it is more than a slightly wedge ..NO. I have arthritis in my feet and it's not worth the pain. So I make do with kitten heels, flashy high tops, and comfy gladiators. You want to be comfortable and no matter how many Dr Scholls comfort pads you apply or how many trade show vendors try to sell you that "magical" solution, it's not worth being disappointed. There are lots of awesome shoes out there and there are some wedges/kitten heels that are just as sexy! I personally love thrift shops and local businesses like Nelson, BC's local store, Shoes for the Soul. I'm in love lol.

• Posted

For those who answered this question, now that more time has passed doe recovery, im interested in learning more about the mental recovery after experiencing trauma. i slipped and my butt went right down onto my onto my ankle. I dislocated it and broke both ends off the knobby part of the tibia and fractured the fibia. It required ORIF surgery. I'm a 9 days out so everything still looks and feels horrible. i feel like nothing will ever be normal and i keep having full on panic attacks that I've never had before. I am wondering if I'll forever worry about this.

• Posted

8/12/2021

Broke my ankle in 2006 one year later metal plate and screws were taken out. It is now 2021 and even though I completed my whole physical therapy I still cannot wear heels.

If I do so I will fall. It’s almost like it’s missing sensitivity and because it’s missing it if it turns the way it broke I won’t feel it in order to stop myself from falling.

I cannot run anymore like I used to and I cannot dance anymore like I used to. It was a life-changing experience I wish it never happened.

• Posted

l also had the surgery September 2020 so now l have the screws and plates inside my ankle but the problem now l cant wear the heels ,l can't even run .I am stressing guys that l am not normal,like other people

• Posted

i was in a horrific car accident almost 7 years ago. i have 2 plates and 16 screws in my right ankle. i have always loved heels until i was put back together.

After about 2 years i asked my surgeon if eventually my plates and screws could ever come out. He said No thats whats holding you together. He proceeded to tell me i was the worst case he's ever seen. Long story short almost 7 years later i miss my heels. i even read how do you get used to high heels after major surgery. i began to realize it was my fear thats been holding me back. psychological holding me back. i decided it was time. i bought wedge sandles, low pumps, platform heels. i noticed when i wear the stiletto heels i do have fear so i didnt graduate to that level of comfort as i had before. Hey i almost died but i will master these stiletto. there is slight pain in the ankle but nothing to terrible. 2-3 inches is comfortable now but i will master these stiletto one day.

• Edited

I broke my ankle Nov 1st. I had surgery December 20th. today is Feb 6 and im back in a low heel. progress. I had plate and screws was in the splint and boot now in a low heel. Everything back to little normal. ✌️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.