8 weeks post Hydrocelectomy, Hydrocele coming back?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm 8 weeks post hydrocelectomy. I had a smooth operation, walking same/next day, feeling ok. I have been taking time to recover, and my right testi, which had the hydrocele, was a bit meaty and lumpy post op. I took all this to be part of recovery, swelling, etc.

Up untill a week ago I was in a good recovery mode, but I started to get some little niggling pain in the testi. and it feels like it is getting bigger again now. I tried the old flashlight through the testi trick and it glows up to show as if there is a hydrocele.

Can the hydrocele come back after a hydrocelectomy, or is this maybe just a build of fluid due to post swelling? Has anybody else had a similar experience?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If the surgery has been done properly and perfectly, it has no chance of recurring except in very rare circumstances. I had undergone the surgery 11 weeks ago. I have no signs of what you said. It could be a bit meaty and lumpy... Its common because the sac covering the testicle will be sutured behind it..so it will be lumpy. Have you been doing gym or strenuous workouts after the surgery? I think it's not a good idea to do gym before it heals Completely... Is your testicle attached to your scrotal wall? If yes,then the testicle may feel tight and the scrotal skin in that region will be thicker and feels like a bit swollen and due to the scar tissue too...the skin there will be a bit hard and thicker...

If you feel something different than the above given explanations,then it's better to get reviewed by your surgeon. Thanks.

• Posted

Dear sama007,

Thank you very much for your reply, it is much appreciated.

I spoke to my surgeon for the first time after my post check up today, and he said it would be highly impossible it would return as they had removed basically all of the cyst wall and like you mentioned, stitched it up behind the testicle.

Before i could feel the testicle and slightly the area were it had been sutured. It now seems to have swollen inside and feels very round and i am starting to get a slight radiating pain 5%, not annoying me really, but it feels and resemebles a hydrocele now. My right testi where i had the hydrocele is no way the size it was, but is starting to feel as if it is coming back now.

To my knowledge and feeling it has not been attached to the scrotal wall. The right testi does come forward though and feels like a mini hydrocele. For the scarring, the stitching of the scrotum is excellent and is not visible at all. I did attempt the gym last week, but nothing strenous. rolleyes

I have arranged an appointment with my Urologist this Saturday, I will post an update afterwards.

Thank you again.

• Posted

Hi all,

Apolgies to anyone who has read this not see an update.

I did return to my urologist and they said the testi was fine and it was larger than the other prior to operation, as it was but not in the size it was in relation to the left side now as it was bigger but smaller than the hydrocele.

Anyhow the right testi and scrotum had been fine up untill exactly 5 months, a week and a half ago, when i started to feel a tender tightness and tugging paing niggleing away that i used to get when i had the hydrocele. Furthermore my right testicle has started to swelll up similar to a heavy hydrocele that i had before. I cant believe how this has happened as they removed a lot of tissue from the hydrocele sack and did the standard operation by stitiching it up around the back of the testi.

I have checked with a urologist (not my original surgeon), as i am overseas right now, and i will not be able t see my original surgeon till after the new year. The urologist i saw recently has given me a course of antibotics for two weeks and i pencilled in to have an ultrasound o nthe testi this friday. I am hoping it is only some sort of infection and the testi will swell back down to what it had developed to post surgery.

The thing is it really feeels like the hydrocele has came back as the testi is big and roundish exaclty like the hydrocel before. I wouldnt think this would be the case that it could possibly come back if there had been surgery.

Has anyone else had a similar problem after a hyrdocelectomy?

Kind Regards,

A2hydro

• Posted

I am just wondering if why the surgeon would attached the testicle to the scroal wall? I had my operation done 2 weeks ago on the left, everything is fine just looks weird, like attached to something up.
    • Posted

Hi sama007,

FYI the testi was not attached the scrotal wall, thankfully.

I had an ultrasound yesterday and the radiologist confirmed the testi was fine and healthy and there was no signs of anyhting abnormal.

I still have one more week of antibiotics and I do have to say it does seem to be getting better, and not as big as it was. It is still bigger than what it was 2 weeks ago. I am hoping it was just some kind of infection, and the antibiotics are working.

It is still bigger like i said, and the radiologist couldnt see what the problem was. I have yet to see the Urologist for a follow up appointment, that should be in about a weeks time. Hopefully he will be ably to come to some conclusion.

Regards,

A2hydro

• Posted

Robert,

Give it some time 4/6 weeks, i was the same.

Mine felt like, when you wrongly button up a shirt and one side was raised upwards.

As most people on here, you can only get a good idea and assumption of how well it has recovered after a 4/8 weeks. After that time for me everything was fine, par the small problem i have right now.

A2hydro

• Posted

Yeah, absolutely as you say, a wrongly button up a shirt.I 'm not worring just was wondering why it look like as it is. Ohh man, you right is developed one too, are you gonna go get it done?

• Posted

I only had one hydrocele, it was on the right side.

Not on the left, no issues there apart from this small incident of swelling on the right, 6 month post op, but now calming down due to the antibiotics (i hope).

• Posted

I have the same problem that the testicle does not to get to hang low. It's been 4,5 months since I had the surgery. It improved a bit in the beginning but now I don't really see any improvement. How are you doing in this regard? 

• Posted

Hey man,

Given that you're only 2 months post op (there'd likely still be some swelling), I wouldn't worry about recurrence yet. It's too soon to tell and the anxiety will only make it worse for you. Recurrence does happen, but it's a gradual thing (a hydrocele is an accumulation of fluid from surrounding tissues--only so much CAN be drained at once, and it's not a large amount). Go easy and keep your doctor in the loop!

• Posted

BCally,

The operation was 7 months ago, the small recurrence i had basically went away in about a week. Everything is fine and im in a full recovery mode and happy as it is now.

Regards,

A2hydro

• Posted

That give's me hope.

Had my first one 4 months ago and it came back and went to a second surgery.

Now it's a week from the second surgery and I started feeling it's growing. Did the transluminiscence test and It lights. It's not big as it was before, but I'm paranoid with the feeling that's coming back again and 3rd surgery.

So you felt same and the liquid went away even when you saw it was there with translum.?

I know it's 5 years from your post but it would be really useful your experience.

Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.