8 weeks post op; on track!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

Just my weekly update, 8 weeks post op today and doing OK. I have my date for returning to work (22nd May) and am now concentrating on strengthening my pelvic floor and getting my fitness level back to some normality!

I have finally managed to get to swimming pool today, only in for 20 min, swam 8 lengths, with long rests in between each of them. It feels good to move about without having to worry about weight issue or hurting pelvic floor.

I am sore everywhere else though, have stiffened up all over: neck, shoulders, back, legs, knees and ankles. Despite this will try and get to pool every other day.

Still got to be careful not to overdo things, missing working in garden. Tryed to move a pot today, tipped contents out first, but pot was still too heavy. So still can be uncomfortable and sore if try to lift anything to heavy.

Doing more around house, but still resting lots in between things. If spend to long on feet can feel dry and irritated. I suppose thus will pass in time. Remembering how much I hate housework and can't wait to get back to work and a few months down the line a little overtime. Then I can get out of cooking meals too!!

Hope everyone else is progressing well. Always take it slow and easy for quicker recovery.

Phyl xx☺☺☺

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You're doing so well phyllis.....a model patient xx
    • Posted

Don't hold your breath matron, sooner or later I'll forget and do something really stupid that I shouldn't.

I think that when I was doing lots of overtime on the run up to Xmas, I was probably forgetting to do my pelvic floor exercises, you get so stressed and short of time and other things on mind, and you don't have same time for swimming or the weather for cycling.

Won't let other things take over this time!

Phyl ☺☺☺

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing really well, it pays to be sensible and follow advice to the letter in the early post op days xx 
    • Posted

Hi amchatt,

How are you ? Hope you are doing well.

Completely agree with you , I think we do need to be very careful during early days and follow advice to the letter.

Last time unfortunately did not know about forum and post op advice not really detailed enough.

So glad I found this forum this time , so not taking any chances and hopefully will not need to repeat surgery again!

Phyl xx💖

• Posted

I'm doing so much better myself too, its been a longer, tougher recovery than I expected, I wasn't given enough advice pre-op or post-op, I honestly don't think I could have coped without the support on here.  I'm 9 weeks post op now, finally able to drive this week, so happy! Started doing a bit more exercise and housework (sadly) Still not hoovering, especially the stairs....will string that out as long as possible...bain of my life!! Feels like I've put on about a stone since my op, eating far too much whilst off. The only thing keeping me sane has been baking, and eating it all!!

wishing you a speedy recovery xx

• Posted

Must admit haven't done my stairway either; had started decorating months ago and never finished it! Hubby hoovered it last week but needs a really good clean. We had intended to sand it down and varnish it, but so dusty and gave up again. Always end up with carpet back down!

I'm the same with weight gain my stomach is almost in line with my chest, hoping the swimming will pull it all in again. Came home and had a salad (with too much cheese ) , then some bananas and strawberries. Managed not to buy any sweets or chocolate tonight. It's always easier to stick to diet once you can seriously get some swimming and/or exercise started.

Must be good to be driving again, sadly I never learned to drive, so rely on hubby most of time or have to take the bus.

Being able to get out for walks has kept me sane, nearly always bump into someone I know, have always stayed within local area and I had an Avon round for a few years and my hubby is local window cleaner, so between us we almost know everyone.

Hope your progress continues to go well,

Phyl xx💖

• Posted

I used to walk every day with my dog, sadly we lost him to cancer just before my op, everywhere I walk people ask me where he is, makes me start whinging again. Been trying to avoid certain places but it is such a nice place to walk, bit of a nature reserve, nice canal towpath and close enough to our house to walk there 😢

I have just downloaded the Couch to 5k app onto my phone, started it Monday, didnt quite manage to complete the session but was chuffed with what I did do, sadly been in pain since, legs and abdomen...once again, pushed it a bit too much, going to try again next week! 

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your dog, it so hard to get use to them no longer being there! Every time we loose a pet and kids break their hearts we say that's it no more pets .

But always end up with another. Currently had hens but down to last one.

Think I'll stick with swimming, think its easier at least till 3 months post op.

Good luck with app, let's us know how you get on with it!

Phyl ☺☺☺

• Posted

Well done Phyllis, you are doing great.  It must have been lovely swimming today, I can't wait to swim.  I'm 9 weeks and still a bit sore so won't be swimming just yet, in a couple more weeks I hope.  So glad you got the return to work sorted, sounds like a good timeframe for you too.  Take care xxxx
    • Posted

That's the good thing about swimming, being weightless in the water means there's no pressure on the pelvic floor and swimming is a good workout for most of your muscles, and gets the heart pumping.

Yes hope pelvic floor strong enough by 11/12 week mark to return to work.

Take care,

Phyl ☺☺☺

• Posted

Well done Phyllis.....I hope to try swimming soon and I must start walking farther.......have put our house up for sale so nothing but housework at the mo!  xxx
    • Posted

I could never cope with house sale, and having to keep up with housework. Just the thought would make me ill. Hope you manage to rest up enough and not overdoing things.

You must be really well organised at the best of times. I'm pretty much disorganised most of the time, so would need a complete spring clean.would be too much for me right now.

This is probably the best time to sell , the market always picks up in the spring and people prefer to move as summer school break comes up.

Good luck with sale, and finding somewhere new for yourself!

Phyl ☺☺☺

• Posted

Thanks Phyllis....yes I must be mad but want to buy small apartment and have enough to buy small cheap place in Spain.....gives me hope..but yes it is rather tiring...x

• Posted

Oh Eve,

That would be lovely!

I hope one day , probably not till I retire, to downsize. But would be too scared to buy abroad, would worry about health care. But would want to release some cash to be able to afford some cheap holidays abroad.

Love watching programmes on TV ' Home OR away' , always on look out for some lovely holiday resorts.

Hope you find something you really like.

Phyl ☺☺☺

• Posted

Thanks Phyl...cant wait to go...just hope my body is up to it!
    • Posted

I'm still stiff today with swimming work out, sister says that she was told at the gym that you should not go everyday , as your muscles need to recuperate so they say every 2nd day. So will give it ais today and go again tomorrow. My pelvic floor and pelvic muscles gave definitely benifited can feel it all tightening up and pain free too so well worth the effort.

Phyl xx☺☺☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.