A1C Score.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been a type 1 diabetic since my tenth birthday. I am now 63 years old.

Over the years, i have seen what diabetes can do to a person, and i swore i would

not be one of those statistics; losing limbs, losing eyesight etc.

To date, i have had no amputations, and apart from having the low sugar seizures, i

have kept on top of my diabetes. So much that i can say i have a strangle hold on my

diabetes.

Back in the day, 1970s era, there was nothing to do with A1C scores. Now that A1C scores are all the rage, my doctor is complaining that my A1C score is 6.0 She says that i should relax a little on the strangle hold i have on the condition, as its not

good to have an A1C score below 6.0. Even if my score went down to 5.8 or less, why is that

a problem? It does not matter what my score is as i always will be a diabetic, whatever my score.

I told my doctor that i would not ease up on my hold on my diabetes, and she was not happy.

Why, before the new diabetic science came around, is an A1C score so important?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I am not type 1 but my doctor is giving me similar "advice". I generally come in at about 5.8 to 6% with A1c. And, if it is under 6 I get the lecture. I think the concerns are the lows. If your BG is erratic and you are achieving less than 6% by having many lows, then that is not good. If you are achieving less than 6% without any or many lows, then I think that is even better.

• Posted

Many thanks RonAKA for your comment.

I am achieving the A1C score by having stable BG`s.

I, like you, understand the reason for the lecture if the sugars are mainly low,

and you are getting A1C scores of 6 or below, but 6 and i am stable?

Again, many thanks for responding.

• Edited

I do have some issues with lows at time, but generally they are very brief. I use the Freestyle Libre sensor and am quite aware of what my BG is 24 hours a day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.