Aching around ribs/chest after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 38 users are following.

Good evening,

I just recently had surgery to remove my gallbladder two weeks ago. Everything has been fine, post surgery wasn't too bad and I have nearly full movement again. Just recently in the last couple of days, i've begun to have this aching feeling in my chest and ribs area, almost feels sore. It's not painful most of the time, it almost feels bruised maybe. I can feel it when I breath deep or lay on my side, or even if I bend over a little bit so that my chest compresses.

Is this just a normal side effect from having surgery in general or should I be concerned? Like I said besides this aching, there's really no other pain and everything is healing up nicely, at least from what I can see on the outside.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I dealt with it for about 6-8 weeks after my surgery. It comes and goes. But it's been pretty well for a while. From what I've heard, it's a side effect from the surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that's what it was. I'll be sure to let my doctor know about it at my next follow up, I just wanted to see if it was anything that was like an emergency. I've never had surgery before :P
  • Posted

Hello Isandil,

I am currently 5 weeks post op. I amhaving teh same issues. I was told these issues could be around for 6-12 months. For some people it really never leaves. Honest truth is we had a serious surgery. Will take time to heal.

I have my good days and have my bad ones..

• Posted

This is perectly normal it just takes time.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Edited

Don't worry I saw my doctor the other day and after 6 weeks i still occasionally have that pain. when i asked the doctor about it he reminded me that he removed an organ from my body and that it would simply take time for my body to adjust/heal to having it cut out of my gut. So don't worry. smile It reminds me of how long it took to get the surgery in the first place now i just have to wait again lol
    • Edited

Hello Sensfan,

So how you feeling these days?

I am now 6 weeks post ops today. My symptoms on my rib cage area are starting to go down. But still getting chest pains at leat once every two days. Kind of in the center of the chest area and kind of moves a little to the left and right.

Thanks

• Posted

Perfectly normal. I'm nearly 5 weeks post op and at one point I thought I'd torn my stitches or something. It felt sore or bruised and I realised I'd just been doing too much so tried to rest as much as I could and it settled down. Not feeling anything now
    • Posted

Hi Renee

im getting similar symptoms now' I'm nearly 4weeks post op now and feel really sore/achey,,, felt really good Saturday but feeling crap today :-(.  

• Posted

Hello Isandil,

So how you feeling? I recently been geting abdominal pains. I have not been sticking to my diet as of late. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

7 weeks post op

Thanks

• Posted

would be good to know how long you guys experienced this now its been a few years! im now 2.5 weeks post op and im getting exactly what you've described, im hoping it will pass soon bit would be great to know how long yours lasted for.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed today. I already have the aching ribs and back feeling. I keep wondering if it is from the gas the insert into our abdomen to be able to get to the gallbladder. In early September I had emergency appendix surgery.

• Posted

Wondered how your healing is going? Just had gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago..not doing great. Any tips appreciated 🙏

• Posted

**i had mine removed on December. 14, 2022 it hurts bad. i cant sneeze, laugh, turn in bed, lay in bed, cough . and yes, i even thought my ribs are broken or a hair line fracture. does anyone else feel like this

• Posted

I had mine taken out 12-15-2022. I was sore after from just Normal surgery stuff. I was doing good with it, recovering good. and then today 12-23-2022. My stomach started blowing up and causing pain and now my ribs feel like they are breaking. Any feed back would be appreciated.

• Edited

hello

i got gallbladder remove surgery 17/12 /20 yes aching pain is normal because if you doing to much is starting aching .... so try relaxing ... for example today i went with my boys see santa passing main street ... then i come home started ache but since you laying down and keep slowly breathing is soon became normal ... my doctor before let me go home he warning me that i try relaxing not over do yourself because stiches not just outside your bidy but inside is well ... good look and stay safe happy Christmas Eve and merry Christmas 🎄

• Posted

Just joined this forum was curious how you are doing? Had gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago and still having pain in rib area both sides and mid and lower abdomen. Have tried heat and ice, intermittent pain pill..but..still issues. Is it just taking longer to heal..How are you feeling and how long did your pain last after surgery until you felt healed? Any suggestions how to relieve pain or help healing? God bless 🙏

• Edited

hi im just seeing this forum as well. I got my gallbladder removed 12/28/20 and now 4 months later im still having this pain. Its under my ribcage and extends to my back, worsens when i take a deep breath, lay on my side or bend certain ways. This was excruciating for about 6 weeks after my surgery and then got better and now suddenly worse again. I used to think something was wrong because my doctor didnt know what i was talking about and brushed it off but its comforting to hear other people experience what sounds like the exact same pain

• Posted

Hi

I had my gallbladder taken out 3 months ago and also have pain under ribs and extends to my back. I was told it is an "unhealthy gut" been taking probiotics and also on fodmap diet. still no improvement

Debbie

• Edited

Hi, I have a question about this, what the doctors say about the pain?

I'll tell you my history really fast, last May 2021 I had a bad movement, I jumped and felt that something went bad in my gallbladder area, I heard a lot of sound, like a lot of liquid moved (bile) in my right side of the abdomen, One day later, I was in a really bad pain, went to ER, they didn't find the cause of the pain. Since then, this pain does not go away, It varies in intensity, and sometimes is really bad. The gastro convinced me that my gallbladder was the problem, It was removed three weeks ago. After two weeks of feeling sore and take pain pills, I started to feel better, but last week the pain started again, the same pain I had before surgery. The doctors did a CT Scan and found nothing. they still don't believe me that there is something wrong there. I am fustrated, any advice please?

• Posted

Hi, Teresa, I'm exactly in your position, i have sometimes the pain exactly like before the surgery, sometimes under my right rib and most of the time I'm feeling sick, I am 2 weeks since my surgery and I am a little concerned, because of this I have sometimes panic attacks...

• Posted

did this to away? i am 1 week out and am having the same pain i had before surgery. its making my anxiety go crazy thinking it wasn't my gallbladder at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.