Aching around ribs/chest after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 38 users are following.

Good evening,

I just recently had surgery to remove my gallbladder two weeks ago. Everything has been fine, post surgery wasn't too bad and I have nearly full movement again. Just recently in the last couple of days, i've begun to have this aching feeling in my chest and ribs area, almost feels sore. It's not painful most of the time, it almost feels bruised maybe. I can feel it when I breath deep or lay on my side, or even if I bend over a little bit so that my chest compresses.

Is this just a normal side effect from having surgery in general or should I be concerned? Like I said besides this aching, there's really no other pain and everything is healing up nicely, at least from what I can see on the outside.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since i had mine removed. I started feeling a lot better Christmas eve and day. Woke up this morning with pain below my right breast. Every time i take a deep breath cough or move the wrong way the pain feels just like i felt when i went to the Emergency room and found out i had to have it removed..

• Posted

Im postop 2 weeks and having the same issue. My surgeon explained to me that they go through the ribs to cut the muscle to get the gallbladder out. he said i could hurt for a few weeks.

• Posted

Same here. 1 week post op and I have pretty bad pain under my right ribs. Hurts to the touch at the bottom of my ribs. Belly is still swollen and a bit tender. the incision sites are totally fine. But I'm having similar pain to gallbladder attacks that I had prior to surgery.

• Posted

Hello, has this pain stopped for you? I am 3wks post op and 3 days ago i started with like an intenses stitch pain under my right ribs, at its worst it hurt to breath

• Posted

i am 12 days post op. i decided to google what i was feeling and found this group. i noticed wiping the floor was over doing it about a week after 6 days maybe. also cuddling with my bf when he puts his arm around me it presses with the weight on my rib area and it isn't comfortable. laying in bed in a situp or crunch position strains my rib cage area. i have my first follow up tomorrow. yes deep breaths coughs sneezes yawns hurt my ribs. interested in seeing hos long this lasts. everyone says they hot through this easy and they were back yo normal quickly! i am not new to surgery i had bigger ones just this isnt what i would call nothing as others call this.

my other issue is a poison oak like rash from the tape. i called and got permission to take it off at day 5 day 6 i took off the steri strips. the adhesive was burning and so itchy. i took benedryl and used ice too. then i got prescribed antibiotics and a steroid pill to ease the inflammation.

• Posted

i am 12 days post op. i decided to google what i was feeling and found this group. i noticed wiping the floor was over doing it about a week after 6 days maybe. also cuddling with my bf when he puts his arm around me it presses with the weight on my rib area and it isn't comfortable. laying in bed in a situp or crunch position strains my rib cage area. i have my first follow up tomorrow. yes deep breaths coughs sneezes yawns hurt my ribs. interested in seeing hos long this lasts. everyone says they hot through this easy and they were back yo normal quickly! i am not new to surgery i had bigger ones just this isnt what i would call nothing as others call this.

my other issue is a poison oak like rash from the tape. i called and got permission to take it off at day 5 day 6 i took off the steri strips. the adhesive was burning and so itchy. i took benedryl and used ice too. then i got prescribed antibiotics and a steroid pill to ease the inflammation.

• Posted

• Posted

hi had gall bladder surgery 10 days ago ribcage all inflamed breathing affected back pain taking boswellia

• Posted

yes hi rib pain goes to all round from left to right with lower back pain 10 days from gall bladder surgery affects your breathing .

• Posted

yes hi rib pain goes to all round from left to right with lower back pain 10 days from gall bladder surgery affects your breathing .

• Edited

Hi i had my gallbladder removed in july and i experience mild pains in my chest also i have been under a bit of stress lately so was thinking it was that but i did experience this after my surgery so perhaps its down to having surgery

• Posted

I had gallbladder surgery 3wks ago, keyhole, with no problems. 2 days ago I started with like an intense stitch pain under my ribs right side, comes and goes but at worst I can't breath deeply without a sharp pain. Is this what you are all talking about? Is it from doing too much? I haven't consulted my gp

• Posted

Yes. I am having the same issue, but do not know why. I am going to call my surgeons office tomorrow because it just does not feel right. Plus, I had a bad fall at home on 4/30/22 and took most of the impact on my right side too. I guess I will know more this week...

• Posted

5 weeks post gall bladder removal. Feeling pretty good at my first post op visit, 12 days after surgery. I have been attempting to do more activity over the last week or so, and now I am experiencing sharp pain in my upper right rib cage. I cannot tell if it is muscular pain or some other type of referred pain from liver/pancreas/intestines. It is worse when I take deep breaths or move in certain positions. I am worried because my surgery pain was pretty much gone, even 14 days after surgery. Now this pain in my right rib has become constant for days. Nervous that something bigger might be going on...Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.