Aching around ribs/chest after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 38 users are following.

Good evening,

I just recently had surgery to remove my gallbladder two weeks ago. Everything has been fine, post surgery wasn't too bad and I have nearly full movement again. Just recently in the last couple of days, i've begun to have this aching feeling in my chest and ribs area, almost feels sore. It's not painful most of the time, it almost feels bruised maybe. I can feel it when I breath deep or lay on my side, or even if I bend over a little bit so that my chest compresses.

Is this just a normal side effect from having surgery in general or should I be concerned? Like I said besides this aching, there's really no other pain and everything is healing up nicely, at least from what I can see on the outside.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i am 5 days post surgery so still have not healed yet. I too am experiencing pains under left breast, panicking of course in case its a blood clot but its reassuring to read that it is normal.

I have a massive hematoma at belly button incision, did ye have this? the other incisions are very neat and no bruising.

I foolishly thought pain would be minimal as it was only a day procedure but boy was I wrong!

I'm still sore, swollen and miserable 😫

• Edited

Hi

I had my gallbladder removed on 14th June - developed a severe itch and bilarubin in my urine 2 days later and had to be sent for an emergency MRCP - everything came back normal. But then last week i developed this pain under my right breast in my ribs it feels like a stitch ☹

i have been signed off work for 5 weeks - i didnt expect recovery to take this long if im honest im still in bed ALOT!

• Edited

hi i am four months out from surgery, and while incisions healed nicely, like everyone has mentioned above, pain in both sides, under right rib cage, and sometimes in upper abdomen continue. it feels like someone is pushing my sides in especially my right side. it gets worse after standing for a long while . even lying down does not help . it eventually subsides. after a night sleeping it comes right back. its really odd because a week ago it was not this bad. i feel like i went backwards and not forwards in getting better. all my surgeon had to say was perhaps you are more sensitive then others. i wanted to punch him into the next zipcode!!!! i go to see GI doc next week 8/1/22 and i really hope she can help. my anxiety over this is very high lately. i just want to feel myself again. i want to say while it is sad that so many people,still have issues it is comforting to know others have same issues.did anyone ever get an answer or are feeling better yet??

• Posted

I've been having this same pain in my right side that hurts when I breathe deeply, yawn, cough, etc. It's been hurting since my surgery last week. It's not as painful as it was the first couple days, but it still hurts.

• Posted

Remember to stay on a gallbladder diet for about a yr. I thought since i had surgery i could eat everything. Wrong! Add fats fried very slowly. Also as you heal remember it takes awhile to heal everything interior, soreness is to be expected

• Posted

hi all, I am 5 days post Gaul bladder removal, I'm recovering slower than i thought and I'm feeling quite nauseous

any suggestions with diet change?

everything i eat makes me feel sick,

• Posted

i am SO grateful for this post. my gallbladder surgery was around 8 days ago i was fine, other than overdoing it physically and splitting one of the incisions open. The surgeon put 4 large stitches in and its fine now. i was hopeful that i was out of the woods as far as pain hoes, but this nagging pain returns nightly. Just as every prior post says, its awful. I cant get comfortable, breathing in and out is painful. I am out of pain pills and wont ask for more because i hate the way they make me feel. its so disappointing that this is where we all ended up. The nurse said, "well maybe this is the new normal". I am just glad to know that im not the only one experiencing this. i just wonder how long- realistically- it will take for this to go away. I take gas-x, digestive enzymes, probiotics, magnesium, etc. I use gel ice packs, tylenol, advil, heating pad, thera gun massager. Not one of these even puts a dent in the sleepless uncomfortable nights or pain. I am so tired of whining, complaining and being such a baby but this is insane! i seem to do my best when I'm up and moving about so my plan is to maximize my days and just hope for the best- which makes me laugh, even typing ugh

Thank you, all, for sharing your stories and experiences

• Posted

depressing that no one had come back with answers. Finger crossed that it just stops as you heal. Interesting that everyones surgeons seems to have been dismissive.

Mine had been tender since surgery but had felt like a gallstone attack 9 days later, my surgeon said i could have had a small stone left in duct or muscle cramp. I managed to sneeze today, the previous 4 days i would loose a sneeze because of the intensity of the pain. It feels like i have strained my ribs badly. Heatpack has helped but laying down in bed seems to make it worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.