Addenbrooke, Cambridge UK

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone know whether the Addenbrooke Hospital in Cambridge, UK, offers the Urolift procedure and, if so, whether it is through the National Health Service?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi John.

Yes, apparently it is available at Addenbrooke.

Here is a list of consultants/surgeons who can carry out the procedure (taken from the Urolift web site).

Mr. James Armitage.

Addenbrooke's Hospital

Hills Road

Cambridge CB2 0QQ

Mr. Christof Kastner

Addenbrooke's Hospital

Hills Road

Cambridge CB2 0QQ

Mr. Sami Hayek

Addenbrooke's Hospital

Hills Road

Cambridge CB2 0QQ

Mr Nikesh Thiruchelvam

Addenbrooke's Hospital

Hills Road

Cambridge CB2 0QQ

Mr. Oliver Wiseman

Addenbrooke's Hospital

Hills Road

Cambridge CB2 0QQ

Hope this helps, 

Good luck

Peter.

• Posted

Peter,

I am most grateful for your list. My GP suggested I arrange a consultation at the Spire Hospital in Cambridge and they quoted me £225 for a half hour discussion. I consider that a futile exercise because if I know the procedure I want, why spend £225 - If I have to pay for Urolift I'd sooner put the money towareds the procedure. Many thanks for the list you sent.

John

• Posted

Hello,

So is Urolift not available on NHS then at Addenbrookes?

Have you considered PAE (Prostate Arterial Embolisation) ?

There are trials currently going on throughout the UK.

Google "Rope-UK PAE."

I am hoping to join one,

regards

Jeremy

• Posted

Hi Jezzaman

Any idea who I may ask about this procedure?

John

• Posted

I dont think we are allowed to post URL's so I will inbox you

If I can see how to do this.

• Posted

Hi John.

The UroLift procedure is approved by NICE for availability on the NHS . I think you will find that you have to be referred by a GP. 

Trouble is many GP's (and quite a few consultant urologists) are not fully informed about the procedure and may favour more traditional procedures such as TURP, HoLEP, PAE etc. However it seems the consensus of opinion, at least on various patient forums (including this one) that Urolift is the preferred choice and the way to go for many reasons, which are explained in detail elsewhere in this forum and on several other sites.

So the trick seems to be finding a GP/urologist/surgeon who is familiar and sympathetic to the procedure. But yes, if you can get referred, then my understanding is that Urolift IS available on the NHS. I understand there may be certain criteria to qualify e. g. the patient should be 50 years or older, have a prostate of no larger than 100ml and without an obstructing middle lobe.

But obviously don't take my word for this I may of course be wrong.

Good luck

Peter.

• Posted

You can also go to the Urolift website - or you can actually call the Urolift people.  They are in Caifornia.  And they are very helpful.  
    • Posted

Hi Peteratukot, very many thanks. I am pursuing the availability of Urolift on NHS because I'm quoted £5,000 for private treatment yet it costs the NHS only £1,000. I couldn't possibly justify or afford £5,000. NICE are non-commital. They think NHS qualification depends on where you live. We shall see.

John

• Posted

Well good luck John, I really wish you well.

Please let us know how you get on.

Pete.

• Posted

Ok Peter. I've been in touch with NICE and am talking to my GP tomorrow.
    • Posted

HI John

What did you find in the end re Addenbrookes?

I had a PAE done at Oxford Churchill by Dr's Little and Tapping on Tuesday 9th, all went well,

regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.