Advice on pain related to hiatus hernia

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone

Was producing a fair amount of acid and it felt like I had something stuck in my throat, so I had a camera down my throat, had a HH. Give me antiacids and told me to go, this generally helped for a fairly long time.

But in the past year or so, while the acid symptoms have gotten better and I know what triggers the acid, it usually isn't too bad and I can generally eat within reason or drink alcohol even if both make me feel a little bloated.

My problem is the constant pain that has nothing to do with the acid, if I eat too much or if after eating I lie down or shift at the wrong time then I'm in for a few hours of crippling pain, sometimes to the point where I can barely speak. It feels like someone has taken a sword and put it through my sternum, pain in the back, pain in the chest. I do get minor relief from vomiting, but the pain just becomes a bit more dull. If I vomit, then I'm usually done for a few days as my stomach and any hiccups end up giving me a great deal of pain.

It's getting progressively worse, it used to happen every month - which I could deal with - then every two weeks - which I could deal with. Now it's happening frequently weekly, sometimes two or three times in a row at night. There appears to be no trigger other than the amount of food I eat, but even small amounts can trigger it. 

I've read about the stomach pushing on the vagus nerve, my personality can completely change during periods of pain. I also have developed anxiety issues from wondering when the next attack is going to come and I feel depressed, down about my condition affecting my future prospects.

I'm currently living in Australia, looking to travel around in a few months and I wanted to work for the last few months. Things finally went well on the job front, but now I'm just thinking about going back to the UK because of this.

Does anyone have any advice? PPIs have been ineffective at stopping the pain, and have had minimal efect on acid which hasn't really proven a great problem for me. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You could have gastritis, inflammation of stomach? Have you tried coconut water, or carrot juice to calm down the lining of the stomach? I have hiatal hernia, GERD and gastritis. The PPI's (I've been on them for 30 years) stop working.

I have to be careful of what I eat....basically can't eat anything but chicken soup and rice. It really is a terrible thing to live with. Going out to dinner with friends and it is depressing because I can't drink alcohol or eat normal.

I would try the coconut water. Also, monalaurin (coconut supplement) and marshmallow root (supplement) These seem to calm my stomach. I get the pain too, not as bad as you however.

• Posted

Thank you, I will try this next time it happens.

I generally don't have a problem with eating in general like you and don't have to restrict myself (other than portions), there are foods that cause acid but not to the point where it is painful. This pain seems independent of anything I'm eating and seems random which is what makes it frustrating.

• Posted

I had a problem with the vagus nerve; it felt like a sword in my back.  A

t the time, when I mentioned it to doctors I was met with a blank look.  I read up on it a bit and pressure on the Vegas nerve can also cause pain in the kidneys and the groin.  Apparently it can also effect mood (depression, anxiety, and even temper) but I'm no expert, I was just interested in finding out more.  But it may help you if you recognise any oth the other symptoms.

I had two types of hernia pain - one was trapped wind, which was sharp and really painful. This usually went after an hour.  The really bad pain was the long (up to 12 hours at a time) a dull ache that just wouldn't go away, this was when something had got stuck.  My problem was that my hernia had migrated up into the chest and because of this my stomach was twisted - this was why the pains lasted for such a long time.  Eventually all of my stomach ended up in my chest so I had no option but to have surgery. I was worried because I had read other sufferers stories but I'm pleased to say I'm feeling great (I had the op nearly 9 months ago).  

A lot of the symptoms now make sense. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.