Advise would be great or should I say reassurance

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi guys

im due to go in on the 27th to hav a laparotomy to remove a complex cystic mass which is 17x8x16cm a peritoneal washout n omental biopsy left ovary n tube removed aaaarrrrhhhh!!! I also have a smaller mass which they think may even be my right ovary in the pouch of Douglas. 

Ive never had surgery before and wondered if anyone had any advise?

the think my mass maybe a borderline ovarian malignancy 

my ca125 was 176 but the said it doesn't prove anything 

😔😔

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I had both my ovaries and tubes removed in May last year. Mine too was discovered to be borderline.

Don't worry too much (well try not to) about the surgery. I'll admit I was very sore for the first 2 days but once that initial couple of days had passed the soreness after that is bearable. Please don't do what I did and do too much too quickly. It takes a a while to heal inside and you will feel okay but you may not have healed inside. I had at lot of gas and to be honest I still have more gas than I ever did and still get tweaks of pain even after nearly a year. But it really is ok. Take a pillow for when you come home to hold against your tummy - this is especially good if you have a bit of a cough from the anaesthetic

Hopefully you will recover quickly and you'll soon be home. Good luck

• Posted

Hello,

I had a very large 36cm cyst containing 15litres of fluid (I dropped 3 1/5 stone after the op) removed in Jan along with my left ovary and to be honest the operation wasn't that bad, like Pami has said first few days are prob the worst, walking for the first time was alittle overwhelming but you get there !! Also definitely take pillows for the journey home, and when sitting up or getting up for the first few weeks just keep telling yourself to use your arms and not your stomach muscles and take your time to make sure everything heals inside and out.

My scare took alittle longer to heal but all in all was ok.

They found cancer cells within the cyst they removed which was called mucinous cancer and I had to have a endoscopy and colonoscopy recently on March to make sure it hadn't gone anywhere else which thank god it hadn't, I am just waiting on my follow up appointment with my surgeon to see what the next steps which I think will be another ct scan to make sure there are no more cysts growing.

But try not to worry and take your time in getting better don't rush to do things and it will only prolong your recovery!! Hope everything goes ok and take care xxx

• Posted

The best advice I can give is things to help after laparotomy. Peppermint tea to help with al the trapped wind you get as a result of surgery. Half a tin of prunes for breakfast each day to try and ensure you don't strain your stitches. Make sure you are given anti embolism socks because you won't be mobile. Have a pillow or cushion to hand to brace your incision if you cough or sneeze. Stock up on box sets, books and ready meals as you must rest. My nurse told me that kiwi fruit, tomatoes, broccoli, protein and dark chocolate boosts healing. Take whatever pain relief you can, I had paracetamol and ibuprofen most days for the first two weeks and it enabled me to get moving about. 

Really hope things go well for you. I am three weeks post op and my incision us still open, and won't knit together, hence I am seeing the nurse every 48 hours to get it dressed. Best wishes. 

• Posted

Hi

Thank u for all ur advice. I hav brought peppermint tea and squash n windezz lol jus in case. I also brought a small cushion as some said about sneezing and moving is painful.

I think it's jus the fear of the Unknown. I've never had a general anaesthetic before. I was also told they may give me a spinal block as well. Did u hav that? Xx

• Posted

Not even sure what that is? Did they explain it too you?

The worst experience I had was the 2nd day - I was still on the ward, I was very sick. I have to say the nurses were terrible. I felt very sick and my husband who's a doctor asked them to give me something for it but they didn't and I hurt so bad when I was sick. It pulled on my tummy where I'd got stitches They had put a drain in and that was sore. I'm so glad he was there cos they never even brought me a bowl over to be sick in. I still don't know why I was sick. Maybe the codeine they give you after.

I would ask them what the spinal block is for

• Posted

The said the spinal block is like an epidural to manage the pain as well as a morphine pump. They would do the spinal block when I went to theatre awake!! Arrehhh!!!

Oh I'm so sorry u had such a terrible time with the sickness. It's so said when u don't feel helped by the nurses thank god for ur husband. X

• Posted

I did have a spinal injection before they gave me the general. I was a bit reluctant because I had an epidural when I gave birth and had backache afterwards. But they explained for the spinal they use a shorter needle, and in the end it was ok, a bit uncomfortable but it meant when 

I came round I had less abdominal pain, and didn't need morphine. They know what they are doing. If they recommend it then go with it. X

• Posted

Oh I see it's like an epidural. No I never had one one those. Just a general anaesthetic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.