After 5 years I got Symfony Explanted.

Posted , 9 users are following.

After 5 years I got Symfony Explanted.

6 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I hope you're much happier now. And what did you get in its place?

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your happy outcome. You have been brave.

• Posted

it certainly shouldnt be taken lightly. my capsule was completely fibrosed. because of the other eye i knew panoptix would work for the lens edge glare.

• Posted

Wishing you the best outcome with the new lenses!

• Posted

thanks ron. i believe this is the end of this nightmare for me. i will end up with 0.75 cylinder in both eyes and it does distort vision to needs glasses and more so at night. light artifacts are exaggerated. astigmatism glasses do fix it though.

• Edited

What does PD mean in this context? Maybe pincushion distortion?

Is the thought that the Symfony caused that?

• Posted

Wow. 5 years! Amazing. Did you have a hard time finding a surgeon willing to do that?

• Posted

not so much finding as i went to the best. hard time convincing and explaining what my issues were.

my original surgeon said he will try to do it but if it is still stuck he will let it remain there. his optometrist said she has seen any explant case done after this long so decided to not go with him.

other famos doctors just wanted do my unoperated eye and were less interested in symfony issues.

• Edited

Very brave of you to do that. AND go with another multifocal. Interesting detail that it sounds like there's an option to back off mid-surgery if the dissection (get lens un-stuck from the bag) doesn't seem like it's going to work. Very happy it seems to have solved your issues. Wow. Amazing. So great.

• Edited

i this case the corneal edema lasted for about 8 hours. i had poor visual acuity for 48 hours after surgery. then all distances cleared up. the surgeon also cleared the PCO by polishing the capsule. so it feels just like immediately after the cataract surgery for the first time.

• Posted

I came here to ask about the PCO… i.e. if you were going to finally do the YAG now that you got the lens exchanged. And I was actually wondering if it's possible during an exchange to polish the PCO away while you're at it… which is what you're saying the surgeon did right? Absolutely incredible! And encouraging for anyone considering a late stage exchange.

• Edited

he polished the PCO away. he said he would do that but that wont remove it completely. even day after surgery he said we will yag in a month which will make acuity better. but i dont think i need it. the acuity got resolved in a day. the vision is clear. the only thing it may improve is night time stop lights. they look scattered with both eyes. i have posted a pic that wong took of my PCO here in some thread.

• Posted

It's still incredible to me that you can do polishing to reduce PCO after the fact! And not only after the fact but FIVE YEARS after the original surgery! Amazing really. That said it sounds like you're at the end of the road now with that eye (in a good way) so if you do need YAG or decide on YAG it's ok now.

• Posted

yes end of the road for both eyes. i will need yag. probably in a years time. since he guarantees no pitting i will go to him

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.