After 5 years I got Symfony Explanted.

Posted , 9 users are following.

After 5 years I got Symfony Explanted.

6 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Congratulations on your successful outcome!

Did you consider the new Symfony, the OptiBlue? My surgeon is recommending it for me, and tells me it eliminates most of the PD. The Panoptix lens sounds good to me, but the surgeon thinks OptiBlue is better for my case. I had Lasik many years ago, and my first cataract is now getting pretty bad.

I'd be interested in your thinking and experience.

• Edited

i wouldn't go to any surgeon still using the symfony. u will get all the dysphotopsias without any near vision. optiblue is just a yellow filter it really doesnt do much for dysphotopsia.

if u r going with tecnis platform and dont mind wearing glasses then go with eyhance.

panoptix will give you good vision at all distances. it is available in clear or yellow version. you will get circles around light at night and possibly have to correct vision to plano with glasses at night. if you go this route choose the clareon optix.

u could also consider clareon vivity. better range than eyhance but more dysphotopsia than eyhance. vivity is also available clear or yellow.

• Posted

Thank you, soks. I do mind wearing glasses - have not used glasses in over 40 years, and it would be very nice to continue avoiding them. The Panoptix sounds like a very good lens, but my ophthalmologist advised against it because of my Lasik and astigmatism. I am getting a second opinion.

• Edited

Your surgeon is correct about avoiding PanOptix because of your prior PRK surgery. However, the PanOptix is not contradicted with astigmatism, and I recall it is available in a toric version to correct astigmatism.

• Edited

"Your surgeon is correct about avoiding PanOptix because of your prior PRK surgery."

RonAKA, would you say a little more about this? I have heard/seen mixed opinions on this, with some doctors saying PanOptix works very well after LASIK, and others expressing reservations due to increased risk of dysphotopsia or increased risk of incorrect prescription measurement. I would appreciate your thoughts, or thoughts/experiences from others.

Don't know whether it makes any difference, but my procedure back in the 1990s was LASIK (i.e., with the flap on the cornea) as opposed to PRK (without the flap).

• Edited

The most consistent advice I have seen is to avoid MF IOLs if one has prior refractive laser surgery. Some even recommend against using EDOF lenses. I believe the concern is that these types of lenses commonly have optical side effects like halos and flare, and the residual damage to the cornea from laser surgery can make the effect worse. I don't believe there is any distinction between Lasik and PRK. The cuts made by the laser in most cases are radial (to reduce myopia), and are inside of the cuts made to cut the flap with Lasik.

Difficulty in measuring the eyes correctly post refractive laser surgery is an issue with all IOLs, not just MF and EDOF.

• Posted

Thanks again, that is helpful.

I am currently waffling between wanting:

a. Light Adjustable Lens set for near-to-intermediate vision myopia, so as to maintain monovision. My non-cataract eye is still close to 20/20 for distance.

or

b. Trifocal lens, like PanOptix or Synergy, to provide a broader range of vision.

I like the idea of fine-tuning the LAL to the best near/intermediate focus I can get.

But the trifocal is also appealing - I am not too worried about side effects, because when I got my LASIK, they warned me about halos and glare and they have never bothered me at all. I've also been told by one surgeon that my pupils are small (I'm 64), which apparently helps reduce some side effect risks. Still, if I ended up with bad side effects as some patients have, that would be very regrettable.

So I've gotta ask myself a question: "Do I feel lucky?"

• Edited

soks not sure you remember me. Got my Symfony lens before you. time sure flies by.

Was coming here to give an update on my Epiretinal Membrane situation and saw your post.

So very happy you have good vision again. I know how hard and the long road you endured. I now the research you put in to finding another solution and the trust it must have taken to go through an explant. Obviously the surgeon you chose did a fantastic job.

Very happy it has worked out and your vision is improved.

• Edited

hi sue, happy to hear from you. you have been gone for a while from here.

the tecnis platform did not work for my eye physiology. i feel grateful to have found a solution.

i now know what it means to be able to see at 8 inches that you always said. i do wear -0.75 astigmatism glasses. especially at night.

did you get the ep membrane treated?

• Edited

I am glad for you. being able to have near vision for me without glasses is great.

The doctor following my case does not recommend the surgery to fix epiretinal membrane unless the risk outweighs benefit. Meaning i am almost blind. It is s very risky surgery. Thankfully my right eye seems do well and compensates a lot. and at my last checkup the wrinkle/puckering has moved off my central vision so that the vision out of LE is a bit better. I will go for annual checkups to have it monitored.

Yes have not been here on the forums awhile. Life happens and my parents' health has deteriorated (dad has lewy body dementia with Parkinson's). Mom this ladt year had cataract surgery. I steered her away from premium lenses thinking at 80 why bother with the expense. But she is not happy with the monofocals and wearing progressive lenses. Perhaps whole process is a crap shoot and no matter what one chooses it can go sideways. Time has flown by for sure. After all you endured - cannot say how very happy I was to see there was finally a solution and you have better vision now.

Good to see many like yourself and Ron still here helping many new people through this process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.