Skip to content

Cataract

Also known as Eye - Cataract

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Clear lense exchange

Hello. I am 35 years old and had the cataract surgery done as an elective. I’ve had terrible sight my whole life and was convinced this would help me see and be rid of glasses. My vision was a -16. I was pretty near sighted. I had both eyes done. It’s been 6 weeks for one eye and 5 for the other. This...

Last reply
  • Reader with Symfony?

Since Symfony is extended depth of focus, I am correct to assume that when you wear your readers, you still have good distance vision through the readers?  May not be 20/20 but around 20/40?

Last reply
  • Adjusting to mini monovision after cataract surgery

Hi, I had my second eye done. The first eye (dominant eye) is at 20/40 and the doctor tweaked the IOL for my second eye so that maybe I'd have 20/20 and an overall wider range of vision. I haven't been back to read the Snellen yet but I'm thinking better distance in the left eye has been...

Last reply
  • Diary Post Surgery Mono-focal lens

Hi All,  As a few of you know I had started a diary with a title indicating it was being kept for the days  "prior to surgery".  But now that I'm post surgery, and thinking the other title might be misleading at this point, I'm creating a new one for anyone interested....

Last reply
  • Mini-monovision with Symfony: Is it possible?

Is it possible to have mini-monovision with Symfony lenses?  I believe that Shanon Wong who has a youtube video may have opted for closer range Symfony.  But one of the doctors I consulted with said that it exponentially degrades distance vision and said the wont do over -0.25D.

Last reply
  • Newbie , researching cataract surgery

Looking for advice and guidance! I been diagnosed with cataract in both eyes. I finally saw an ophthalmologist yesterday. Brief exam, dilated eyes, told me I had cataract. Explained to me the IOL for distance, near vision and the expensive IOL. Never ask me about my life style, I work on a computer daily....

Last reply
  • How did the stoplights look pre-cataract surgery?

How did the stoplights look pre-cataract surgery?  I see three of them in the affected eye.  The three light will merge into one as I drive near.  The other eye starting 2-3 weeks earlier shows lower left shadow for green light during the day and for most outside light sources during the...

Last reply
  • Wrong iol for me, not sure of options to fix

Hi - I had cataract surgery on my left eye approx a month ago. During the initial consult, my doctor said I would get a standard monofocal lens set for distance, that other lens were not an option due to glare and contrast issues. Having been near sighted since a child, and working in IT, being able...

Last reply
  • Symfony lens halos

This summer I had cataract surgery in both eyes and opted for the Symfony lens implants, including a toric lens in the astigmatic right eye. My experience, two months out in left eye and two months out in right eye: Distance is crisp and colors are sharper. Daytime driving is noticeably easier. Nighttime...

Last reply
  • Posterior Polar Cataracts

Hi guys, I posted previously about needing two doctors for my cataract surgery and apparently that's still the case, but I thought I should start a different thread about the exact type of cataracts I have. I was diagnosed with bilateral posterior polar cataracts with a 99% chance of rupture or...

Last reply
  • Cataract surgery two days ago

I had cataract surgery two days ago in right eye which greatly improved seeing close up but not far away I was currently wearing bifocal glasses . What do you do when you have surgery but wear glasses.. how do you go about functioning like driving while waiting for other eye to have surgery ? If you...

Last reply
  • Is a multifocal IOL not truly multifocal?

This is part of an email I received from my cataract surgeon's office pre-surgery. I am trying to decide between monovision and Symfony (actually an extended depth of focus lens I think).- "No matter what target or lens we choose, there's no perfect solution and glasses are the solution...

Last reply
  • Symfony Mini Monovision, how far away will be in focus?

I am soon to have my left eye implanted first with a mini monovision approach of -0.5D to -0.75D for near reading and to later the right eye set for plano. My natural reading distance is 45 -50cm. 1.I know that I will have a drop off of distance vision in my left eye due to the mini monovision but...

Last reply
  • Post Cataract Surgery Sunglasses

I remember 10-15 years back, right after cataract surgery, patients were told to wear big dark sunglasses, almost like a welders goggles for several days. Then came the clear-lens sunglasses, and most would think what an improvement over those dark (somewhat ugly) sunglasses. These seem to be a thing...

Last reply
  • Central vision blur after cataract surgery

cataract/lens implant in Feb 2018. After surgery vision was good for distance, poor for reading, etc. I knew this would be outcome before sirgery. However, now 3weeks later, the distance vision has declined, & now have ventral vision blur. Have AMD, but the opthamologist stated before surgery, "...

Last reply
  • Lens replacement a 2nd time? Or yag?

I had multifocal lens 3 months ago. My distance vision is not that great. I have been given glasses which does improve a lot. I'm told with a laser enhancement op this is the vision they hope to achieve for me. On going for an appointment today i was told I have protein cell build up on both eyes....

Last reply
  • Trying to decide on multifocal or monovision IOLs

I had pretty much decided to get the Symfony multifocal. My husband likes his.  I have had monovision contacts for almost 20 years and had no trouble adjusting. But it just seems to me if both eyes are working together it’s got to be better.  Then the doctor told me in my case it’s a toss-up...

Last reply
  • SYMFONY TORIC (Multifocal Lens)

I am curious to know if any of you have the same lenses that I do.  Two weeks ago I got my right eye done with Symfony Toric (for astigmatism).  I am getting the left eye done next week.  Today I had my second post-op and all in all I pretty satisfied.  I work on the computer...

Last reply
  • Warning from Abbott Tecnis Symfony official brochure

For anyone considering a Tecnis Symfony lens vs. an aspheric monofocal lens, this is from the Abbott official brochure for the Symfony lens under "Warnings": "The TECNIS Symfony® IOL may cause a reduction in contrast sensitivity under certain conditions, compared to an aspheric monofocal...

Last reply
  • PCO Effects

I'm am wondering if I may be starting to get PCO effects with my right eye that had cataract surgery almost 6 months ago. Today my right eye has been quite blurry giving me worse than 20/40 vision which I haven't had that bad in that eye since the intiial month or two after surgery.  It...

Last reply
  • Flashing sight with squared edge monofocal iols

Hello! I had cataract surgery many months ago with an acrylic multifocal iol but it didn't work due to unbearable and multiple dysphotopsias that never diminished over the time. The multifocal had squared edges. It's important to specify this because 2 weeks ago the multifocal lens was removed...

Last reply
  • Blurred vision months after cataract surgery

I am devastated. I had cataract surgery on 9/11/15, and around December I started to have blurred vision. It is now June 1, 2016, and it starts every time I look at my phone, computer, or even read a magazine. I got computer glasses, and they enlarge the words, but when I put my regular glasses on everything...

Last reply
  • Rahter Interesting Behavior With Symfony Lens... Thoughts?

I had a Symfony implanted 6 weeks ago. At distance I measure 20/20. Intermediate on the computer is doable but fuzzy. Reading is very blurry... In direct sun can sometimes read J4, but in reality, it seems quite variable and sometimes only J8 is realistic. The phone is not usable even at arm's length. It’s been 6 weeks and I haven’t really had any improvements over day 8 after surgery....

Last reply
  • Floater

Hi All, I had a Cateract done late 2016 which wasnt as straight forward as i was led to believe having a dropped nucleus and having to have a second operation . I have now developed a single floater should i be worried, has anyone else had this. Hopefully i will get to the Optician tomorrow!

Last reply
  • MID- COURSE CORRECTION?

I Planned to have two Symfony toric lens placed in on November 30th & December 14th,  beginning with non-dominate left eye.  Prescription is +3.75 in both eyes and 1.87(L) and 1.57(R) stigmatism. Cataracts measured 3 in (L) and 2.5 in (R)    ​Although surgery went well, and intermediate...

Last reply
  • Symfony lens comparison to naked eye

As a brief background, I have a Symfony lens implanted in my right (dominant) eye and my God given eyeball on the left side. I'm trying to decide between having another Symfony lens implanted or a standard lens implanted in the other (left) eye, or go for a complete lens exchange. It has been 4-1/2...

Last reply
  • Restor 2.5D Review and Comments

First, thank you very much to Sue.An and everyone else on this forum for the extremely helpful insight during this very difficult process. I’m going to apologize, in advance, for the length of this post. I’m writing this because I had not found a single review of the newer, Restor 2.5D lenses online,...

Last reply
  • Cataract surgery and double vision.

It has been about 12 weeks since I had surgery for my new Symfony lenses. About 2 weeks after my second eye had been completed I realized my vision was not great. I began to realize I was experiencing double vision. It continues today. I have revisited my surgeon and my optometrist. Both have tested...

Last reply
  • Blurred vision and shadows after lens replacement

i had lens replacement surgery a week ago.  Before surgery my distance vision was very good but I couldn't read a thing without glasses. Since surgery I can read the smallest of print but can't see further than a couple of metres before everything goes out of focus. I also have a shadow...

Last reply
  • cataract surgery years after lasik

I've recently undergone cataract surgery. The first eye was done with a multifocal Toric lens 12/21/2017. The second eye was done with just a mutlfdocal lens 12/28/2017. So far it has been a rollercoaster ride of recovery. Horrible vision, no clarity at any distance, and when lowering the dose of...

Last reply
  • Cataract Surgery

Hi everyone. I'm brand new here & tried to respond to another cataract surgery discussion on this forum but was unable to. I'm a 55 year old female who developed cataracts due to the steroids I've had to take for my asthma, & I had my first cataract surgery on my left eye last Wednesday,...

Last reply
  • Why does google say differant from what I was told

Had cataract surgery on right eye  and I was told by doc that I could go back to gym and do cardio or even lifting pretty much right away. Yet when I do a google search I get answers like wait a MONTH. Thats a BIg difference in answers. I had surgery on Thursday 3-22-18 morning. I have already walked...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.