Has anyone gotten the Light Adjustable Lenses?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My eye doctor recommended it (opthalmologist) but my optometrist says they're too new! Can anyone give me their experience?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

They have been around since about 2015 in Europe, I believe, and FDA approved in about 2017. The prime disadvantage is that they are basically monofocals, and are very expensive, as well as a bit time consuming to do all the fitting while still wearing protective glasses. The main advantage is accuracy, so they are best suited for targeting mini-monovision, as well as in situations where predicting outcome refraction is more difficult -- like those with prior refractive surgery, Lasik, PRK, ...

I believe @phil09 has the most recent experience with them here.

Google this for a good video on them. Note that there are some exclusions for using the lens.

"Mayo Clinic Light Adjustable Lens What Every Ophthalmologist Should Know Michael A. Mahr M. D."

• Edited

Great. Not that new.

I highly recommend if you can deal with the premium price and the maybe 4 or 5 extra visits. Plus wearing special glasses when outdoors or if you suspect UV indoors, then also.

Well worth it, especially for the "far" eye if you will be doing mini-monovision.

• Posted

My experience is very good so far - good vision, no side effects. I got the LAL in one eye last month, and my follow-up treatment is nearly finished now.

I believe the LAL has been approved and in use since 2008 in Germany and since 2017 in the US.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.