Monofocals set for distance

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello. Can anyone who had monofocals set to distance (plano, no monovision) for both eyes please describe what your vision is for intermediate? Do you need glasses to eat, to cook, to see your computer? Can you see your phone for reading a text message not prolonged reading?

Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Intermediate means different things to different people. It may be the vision with -1.0 D myopia, or even -1.5 D. If you look at this graph below you can see what the typical vision range is with a monofocal set for the various distances and various diopter targets. Vision of 20/32 is generally considered acceptably good. The distance is in meters so you can convert to inches by multiplying by 40.

From the graph a -1.0 D provides 20/32 or better from 17" out to about 7 feet. The -1.5 D ranges from 15" out to 4.5 feet or so. The dashed line is a monofocal set to distance. 20/32 vision ranges from about 33" out to infinity.

• Edited

With pure monofocal IOLs set to distance and normal eyes, you may have intermediate vision down to 6 possibly 4 feet, according to one post I've read on this forum. Ask your surgeon what you can expect when 20/20 distance vision is the target.

• Edited

I misread your question, but the response went into moderation in any case because I included an image. My distance eye lets me see well down to 24" but results vary from person to person. The average outcome is more like about 34" as a limit of good vision. But, even with my closer vision than that, I do not find it comfortable for computer or iPhone use. If both eyes were set for distance, I would end up needing progressives worn all the time, or carrying around readers everywhere I go. This said my wife only has vision in one eye, and it has been set for distance with a monofocal. She eats without glasses, and cooks with assistance from readers when using a paper recipe. She does not use readers with her phone or tablet, and instead just expands the text size. She has progressives but essentially refuses to use them. Probably has about a dozen readers spread around the house, car, and trailer though. She does manage to knit toques on a loom without glasses though.

• Posted

thanks, Rob. what do you mean by vision in one eye? you mean one eye with distance iol? what about the other eye?

• Posted

typo - Ron

• Posted

My wife had undiagnosed amblyopia as a child and by the time it was discovered it appears it was too late for the eye optics from the retina to the brain to recover. When she had cataract surgery the surgeon thought there may be some benefit in correcting the sphere and astigmatism based on eye measurements, but it didn't work. He thinks the eye was likely damaged during a forceps delivery.

• Posted

I have monofocal IOL in both eyes. Just to give you a more accurate picture my LE is -.125 SE and RE is -.75SE (my doctor was shooting for LE -.10 and RE -.55). Also, as you know, everyone's outcome is different in what they can see with monofocals set for distance. I do not need glasses to cook or eat. I can use my computer set at arm's length with no reading glasses, however, I find using reading glasses causes less eye strain. I have my cell phone font set at large so I can read text messages, although again wearing reading glasses makes it easier. Going through self checkout at stores or paying I have no problem being able to see those things without glasses.

My husband on the other hand has monofocals in both eyes set to distance. He has never had his eyes checked since cataract surgery to see where he ended up, but his doctor was very pleased with his outcome. My husband can eat and cook without reading glasses, but does need reading glasses for computer, cell phone, reading, going through self checkouts and paying.

• Posted

thanks Karina. it seems that your outcome is intermediate and not distance? how clear is your vision when driving?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.