Sodium hyaluronate eyedrops for dry eye

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just got back from a cataract consultation in Europe, where the doctor recommended I use Bepanthen eye drops, containing 0.15% sodium hyaluronate and 2% dexpanthenol, 5x/day to treat dry eye for several weeks before my surgery. He said it helps to have the dry eye under control before the surgery. Luckily I picked up 5 packages at a pharmacy before I flew home to the US, because these eye drops do not appear to be available here.

Does anyone know why they are not available at US pharmacies? How do US residents obtain this type of eyedrop for dry eye? I've only been using them a few days but they seem to actually work, unlike the Refresh and Relieva eyedrops I have tried in the past.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

For some reason there does not seem to be an abundance of eye drops with sodium hyaluronate in the US. Not sure if it is an approval thing or what. Amazon has three packs of HydraSense Advanced (0.15% HA) but it does not contain the 2% dexpanthenol. I suspect Amazon may be bringing them in from Canada, as they are easily available here at Costco, and are less expensive. They are made by Bayer the aspirin company.

There appears to be a "HYLO Care" product that has both HA and dexpanthenol, but seems to be currently out of stock at Amazon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.