Cataract Surgery Bad Headaches at Temple of eye

Posted , 44 users are following.

What Could be the Cause of Bad Headaches After Cataract Surgery?

I am a 60 year female and just over two week ago I under went cataract surgery on my right eye. I have developed extremely bad headaches behind my eye and reaching out to my temple. It doesn’t seem to go away with normal pain medicine. Could this be caused from some problem with the new lens? Will this in course go away as the eye heals and gets used to the focus and light? These don’t seem to be normal headaches – more like migraines although I have never had those before

2 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your experience. This may be caused perhaps because your brain is trying to adapt to one eye without cataracts and the other with. Have you talked to your surgeon or gotten a second opinion from perhaps a neuro opthamologist? Which lens did you get implanted and do you have any underlying eye conditions?
  • Edited

I had my Cataract/Implant surgeries one week apart.  After my second surgery I had sever migraines.  I am 64 years old and I have had migraines all my life but as I got older they pretty much subsided and I'd get about one or two a year or so.  After the second surgery, I had one migraine that lasted for three days straight.  I used cold packs on the back of my neck and kept a mask over my eyes to keep the light out.  I also had a variety of flickers, streaks etc. that I have gotten before with migraines.  After the three day migraine, I got better and then about 3/4 days later I got another migraine.  All together I had migraines for about three weeks, some of them days in a row and some sporadically a couple days apart.  They did go away after a couple of weeks.  I didn't know if it was related to the surgery or just migraines.  But I've never had them that bad and that frequent in my life.  I do sometimes get migraines when the weather is bad, severe rain and/or snow storms.  Sometimes the barametric pressure enhances/causes migraines and it did rain that week but I still feel that the surgery was either the cause or part of the cause because I never had them that bad.  It is just my opinion and I have no evidence that the surgery caused them but I do feel that it was definately a contributor.  I don't have any answers for you other than the ice packs on your neck and masking your eyes.  I litteraly sat on a recliner for three days and did nothig but exchange the ice pack on the back of my neck periodically.  Prayers for your speedy recovery.  (I've also had many other crazy things since my surgery, it's been a real nightmare)

• Posted

Hi Rene, its good to talk and hear about others experiences.  Do you know before I had my ops I spoke to so many people asking if they had or knew of anyone who had the op and the general concensus of opinion was that it was a simple op taking about 15 mins with no after effects, I must have been very unlucky, maybe it was something I did wrong. You say you have had other crazy things since the op, please would you tell us what they are because it may be something else sombody else has also.

Did you say when you had the first op.

• Edited

Yes Agnes, I had a lot of crazy things happen to me.  Like you, I was unaware that all of these things could or would happen.  Everyone that I spoke to said it was awesome and they could see so good now.  Well, I'm one out of a thousand that got Negative Dysphotopsia (an arc-shaped shadow, usually in the temporal field of vision, is a rare condition that can present after in-the-bag posterior chamber IOL implantation).  I also have Positive Dysphotopsia (halos, glare, streaks and flickers).

I've been to about twelve follow-up appointments with so many problems happening.  I also have a problem with lights, it's really bad.  When I look at headlights, street lights, porch lights etc., there are these rings around the lights, about six or eight of them and then rays coming from that.  Any lights I look at are ten times their size.  The surgeon said it was from the lens that it's reflecting and reflecting causing the "lit/bright" rings to appear.  He said he's implanted thousands of them and only had one person that it happened to beside me....lucky me.  As far as the vision it took me almost two months for it to adjust.  I can see TV, things around the house easily, road signs not as good as when I wore glasses and I can't read small print like the back of a package with cooking instructions. He also had a very hard time removing my Cataract on my left eye which resulted in my Iris and my Pupil coming out and having to be stitched back in.  I had NO idea any of these types of things could or would happen in what I thought was a simple Cataract/Lens Surgery.  I had such high anxiety from all of this BEFORE I came to this forum.  I thought something happened to me like a tumor or something.  Then I found this site and several different discussions and it relieved me tremendously just knowing that some of these things happened to others and it wasn't just me and I wasn't going crazy.  So I tried to share all of my misfortunes in regard to my surgery hoping it can ease others from feeling like I did.  You can read through several different threads on here about "flickering lights" "headaches" etc. you can read up on them.  Prayers for a speedy recovery for EVERYONE that has experienced all of these problems.

• Posted

Hi Rene, You most certainly have been very unlucky, and I hope at the end of all the treatment they manage to sort it out, please keep us up to day.  

I thought I was bad but compared to you Im OK, well not really but not nearly as bad as what you are going through, I am still waiting for someone to say they have had symptoms like mine or know of someone who has, My right eye which was done first is just fine, the first four days were awful re pain but after that it was just fine and the sight in both eyes is fine but I have slight distorted vision on my left eye it also has a heavy feeling all the time and when I close my eye I have pain, so when I go to bed and close my eyes its uncomfortable, its now over two months, cant see there will be any change but will keep hoping, again I am wondering if there is anyone who has similar symptoms and was there anything that could be done.

Again Rene I sincerely hope there is something that can be done for you

• Edited

Agnes,

Have you tried any eye drops for your discomfort? I use eye drops very frequently throughout the day, before I go to bed and sometimes in the middle of the night when I awaken and as soon as I get up in the morning. It may ease your discomfort when closing your eyes in the night.  If you aren't using anything maybe you should ask your surgeon about it.  I only use "Preservative Free" you can get Refresh Optive Advanced Preservative Free at Walmarts.  I also use Oasis drops which I purchase at my eye Dr.s. I'm not advising you to do this but ask your eye Dr. or surgeon if it's okay for you to try them, surely they'd say it was okay.  My second surgery was way worse than my first and it hurt for about two months.  It still hurts sometimes now and I use  the drops which sometimes helps alleviate the discomfort.  I hope this helps you.  Prayers for everyone in this Cataract forum. 

• Posted

Hey.. how are u now.. did your pain went away?well my mother had eye surgery almost 1 week ago.. she is also feeling mild pain in it.. just wanna know.. did ur pain heal?
    • Posted

Hi aqsa

It is always so lovely when someone gets back to you, hi how are you too?

My letter about it was quite lengthy but as short as I can make it, I had my first eye done last June, for 4 days I was literally climbing the walls with pain, it was pressure apparently, they gave me tablets to reduce the presssure which did work I had 4 lots of drops after the month of using them my eye was OK.  I got the second one done last August, the same thing happened pain for 5 days this time, didnt get tablets just drops, after that I had pain in the lower right hand side of the second operated eye, the Optician said it was where he entered the eye to get to the cataract, it was at its worse when I closed my eye so when I went to bed you can imagine.  Nowadays my eyes are still gritty, a heavy and tired feeling thats only how I can describe it but aqsa, my sight is good, hope it remains like that, I am just having to live with the other symptoms.

By the way have you had eye surgery I cant remember, if so please refresh me on that and please let me know all about your Mum

Kindest regards, Agnes

• Posted

I have been looking on the internet for days and days trying to find someone to correspond with about the terrible migraine headaches I have had since having cataract surgery.  I had one eye done August 7th and the other eye done 2 weeks later.  One lens is for distance and the other for reading.  This is what I had in my glasses and contacts for many years.  My vision according to the "chart" is good but on a daily basis it is not always clear. I believe I can live with that.  I have bought some prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses that seem to help.  My biggest problem is these horrible headaches.  I have one almost every day.  I have had migraines for many years but these are worse than any other and don't respond to my typical medication.  My eye dr says there is no connection, but I feel that there is.  I have seen my neurologist and am having Botox injections in my head on Thursday hoping for some relief but I am not getting my hopes up because I think the cataract surgery has caused these migraines.  I have had a migraine almost every day for a month.  It is basically around my eye but it radiates to my temples and the top of my head. My eyes aren't comfortable.  I use drops all the time but they don't seem to affect the headaches. I am really miserable.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June. I didn't have to have chemo, just radiation.  I handled that much better than I am handling this.  These headaches and uncomfortable eyes are making me very, very depressed.  I don't think I can continue dealing with daily headaches.  I have yet to find anyone saying that the headaches go away.  My dr. put me on an antidepressant to deal with this stress.  I was just a normal 64 year old going through life, enjoying retirement and truly the cancer scare was caught early, I received great treatment and I got through it.  I never dreamed that this "easy" cataract surgery would cause me so much trouble.  I am just praying that these headaches stop eventually.  I am going to my eye dr. today. She thinks some anti-inflammatory drops may help....I don't know.  Thanks for any reply or encouragement you could offer as I am hanging on by a thread.

• Posted

Sharon, Have you had your Botox shots for migraine yet, and have they worked on the migraines you're getting resulting from the cataract surgery? I had cataract surgery on my right eye a week and a half ago and have had nonstop headaches behind my right eye and going out into the temple since. It's definitely migraine, which I would recognize since I already suffer from chronic migraine AND already get Botox shots for it. I got my most recent round of shots maybe two weeks before the surgery, and it's concerning me that these headaches are this bad even with the shots. I know from experience that you can still have migraines even with Botox - it reduces it, not eliminates it entirely - but this is scary, so I'm wondering about your experience. I'm also getting the flashes in my eye. The surgery for the left eye is this Wednesday, and I'm pretty apprehensive at this point.

• Posted

Have your doctor check and make sure the pressure in your eye isn't too high. Are the flashes you're getting auras from the migraine?

• Posted

I feel your pain Sharon. I am 42, developed sudden blurry vision in November 2016 after 3 weeks on Cymbalta. I do not believe it's coincidence. I believe it is the cause of my sudden onset cataracts. My eyes were perfect prior to Cymbalta which I stopped taking immediately. I had my left eye surgery on June 28, 2017 since my cataract advanced so rapidly. Left side of my head was hurting immediately following surgery. It never went away but it did get worse. I have had a daily migraine and gum pain ever since the surgery. My ophthalmologist doesn't think my headache is related to cataract surgery but I know it is. He just doesn't want to admit it. I have never suffered from migraines before...ever. My neurologist diagnosed me with atypical trigeminal neuralgia and put me on gabapentin. I've been taking it for a week with no relief so he upped my dose today. What does give me some relief is 0.5mg of clonazepam (klonopin) which I begged for and am hoarding my last 50 pills for my most painful days. My dentist also found an abnormal foreign body in my gums on October 2 and I am certain my surgeon lost something down my eye socket during the surgery and it has injured my trigeminal nerve trying to find a way out of my body. It tried to come out of a deep cavity in my tooth. Neuro is sending me to Dartmouth now. Hoping to get some answers there instead of being left in inhumane, uncontrolled pain for five more months. Please let me know if you find pain relief. I wish you well and may you find some peace from your pain. May we all get our lives back. Hugs. ~ Brandy

• Posted

Lost something? Like what could that be? Sounds scary...

Also did your neurologist give you Imitrex or other migraine medication? I've taken gabapentin before (not for headaches) and it just put me to sleep. Not sure how well it works for headache pain. Imitrex on the other hand works great.

• Posted

Also, klonopin is a highly addictive benzodiazepine usually used for anxiety, so be careful with it.
    • Posted

I also don't think it's anatomically possible for anything during cataract surgery (like part of your eye's natural lens) to work its way into your gums from your eye since there are sinuses located between the gums and the eyes.

• Posted

I'm also relatively certain nothing can get outside the interior of the eye into another part of the face, including the gums. Anyway, hope you figure it out and get well soon!

• Posted

I forgot to add that cataract surgery is done through the front of the eye to remove the natural lens and replace it with an intraocular lens (all done inside the eye). Nothing can fall into the eye socket during the procedure.
    • Posted

Was just thinking maybe you have a popcorn hull lodged in your gums (unless you never eat popcorn that is!).
    • Posted

Not sure if you are reading these posts or not, but I just realized you must think your eye was taken out of the socket to do your cataract surgery (I was just reading online that apparently lots of people think their eyes are taken out of the socket during cataract surgery). The eye is not taken out of the socket during cataract surgery, so especially because of that, there's no way something could have fallen into your eye socket and lodged in your gums (aside from the other reasons I mentioned).

• Posted

For anyone else who thinks the eyeball is removed from the socket to do cataract surgery, this is not what happens. Doctors make a tiny incision in the front of the eye next to the colored part, remove your natural lens through that incision and replace it with a tiny, folded intraocular lens that opens up when it's inside your eye.

• Posted

I had cataract surgery in April, 2017 on my left eye.   I have been in pain every day since.   I also had cataract surgery on my right eye, but have never had any pain.   I was recently ....finally....diagnosed with migraine headaches.   I have had them before but not like this.   Nothing works.   Gabapentin used to help a little but not anymore.   I haven't been able to increase the dosage.  Perhaps that would help.   My migraine medicine does nothing.   I have to wait to get into a neurologist although it was an eye neurologist that diagnosed me with the migraines.   The surgeon insist that the cataract surgery had nothing to do with this even though the pain started immediately after the surgery.   I wear an eye patch most days and this seems to calm the eye down.   Movement (like riding in a car) makes my eye crazy.   I don't know how to live the rest of my life like this.

• Posted

Did you try sumatriptan or another tripan? If so, ask your doctor for a different one, since they don't all work for everyone the same, or asked for an increased dose.

• Posted

Hi Sharon. It's been 3 weeks since I had my second eye operated on to remove the cataract. I have felt very sick since the first cataract surgery 4 weeks ago. I have nausea, constant intractable headaches and dizziness. I too am hanging on by a thread. I am almost totally incapacitated. Nothing touches my headaches; not even imitrex. My eye doctor does not believe these things are a result of my cataract surgery. I am desperate for a solution! I hope by now you've found some relief. If so, please let us know what worked for you. Thanks so much!

• Edited

Hi Terry. I too am having severe headaches after  cataract surgery. I also have severe nausea and dizziness. Nothing helps other than wearing a patch on my right eye. Even that help is minimal. My eye doctor does not believe there is a connection to the surgery. I am sure there is. He said he has done everything he can for me. I don't know where to turn. I certainly don't know how I will live the rest of my life with this either. Here's hoping and praying for a solution for both of us. God bless.

• Posted

You're not alone. I had my second cataract removed. Ive had severe headaches, dizziness, nausea and floaters. from day one. Ive had problems with both surgeries i.e. elevated eye pressure >42 which I found out is real dangerous; wrong lens in wrong eye; lost my near vision (I could see upclose great before the surgeries. ) , still have asigmatism.

At my preop for the second surgery, Dr. Said there was something left in behind my eye from the first surgery that he could remove in his office. But he chose to wait until after the second one. Both lens were Toric ($1200 for left- $2500 for right??).

At my last appt he didnt check my eye pressure didnt check whatever that was he left behind in my eye. He said there is nothing he can do for me. He said all this pain is normal for some patients.

Im so depressed I dont know where to turn

Im so glad I found this website just to help if I can. God Bless. Gina

• Posted

I hope you are feeling better.   I finally saw a neurologist and he tripled the Gabapentin to 3600 per day (1200 3x daily).   It helps, I guess.   But I still have breakthroughs and some are major.  My surgeon left the operating room and left me with his 'fellow' to finish up.   The guy tripped while inserting the IOL in my eye.  The tool was in my eye at the time.   They insist there is no damage to my eye, but every second of every day since has been painful ranging from 2 to 10 plus.   This is a horrible way to live.  I would like them to do an ultrasound on my eye but no doctors seem willing to help probably because I tell them the guy tripped.   But how will they know what to look for if I don't tell them the truth?   I think its possible he could have stretched the bands holding the pocket.  But I don't know enough about the eye to really understand what damage he could have done.   I do know that I can't lay on my left side.  The pain increases unbearably.   Its been almost 11 months.   It's very, very hard some days.  

• Posted

I had my left eye done in August last year and the second one Nov.

My right eye has been nothing but trouble and also get migraines.  I have

the same kind of migraines as you and get a few a year and control with

Advil Migraine that work really well.  I had one last Sat. and one again today,

they are more frequent and I feel it is due to the surgery, I will try the ice packs.

Usually after taking the Advil it goes away in about 15-20 min. feel a bit funny

afterwards.  This is getting to be a real pain though.  I am 69 and have always

been healty and active. 

• Edited

I just want to beg you to get off klonopin. I took it for several years. I went to a psychiatrist to get off Xanax, which I had been taking for years for anxiety. She put me on Klonopin. Well I went back to another psychiatrist and it was many times harder to get off the klonopin. Just don't go there.

• Posted

I just want to beg you to get off klonopin. I took it for several years. I went to a psychiatrist to get off Xanax, which I had been taking for years for anxiety. She put me on Klonopin. Well I went back to another psychiatrist and it was many times harder to get off the klonopin. Just don't go there.

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

Happy you have come through your cancer well. You are not crazy! I can't believe how many people are stating they are suffering from severe migrains since cataract surgery. I too have had migraines since I was 12. They have drastically decreased as I got older and the pain less severe. I'm 62. That was up until yesterday, which was about 3 weeks after my 2nd eye had cataract surgery. I had the worst auras and biggest black spots in front of my eyes. Very different from my normal migraine auras that have not deviated since I was 12. I know it's a migraine by the headache pain and the sensation I get before it comes on. I had 2 yesterday! I haven't had 2 all year before this surgery!! I also had 1 this morning already. I am on a daily beta-blocker and it's not keeping them away. I am on a medication called Relpax 40 mg. My PC doctor had migraines and this is what she used as the other medications did nothing. It was a LIFE SAVER. If you take it as soon as it starts, it can stop the migraine from making you feel like you have been hit by a truck. I could work, wasn't down and out for days and it didn't make me tired. However, with these migrains it is not getting rid of headache completely. I am sick to think I may be plagued with this debilitating illness again. I am scared as to why this surgery is causing these headaches to come back. We all can't be crazy. There are to many of us. I also have such heavy, gritty, dry and severely uncomfortable eyes 24/7. Not fun. Drops do nothing. I at least felt comfort knowing others have had same reaction as I was begining to think something was very wrong. I still will be calling my doctor to make sure everything is ok. I am sorry you and the rest of us are now suffering for what evervreason. I was never told I could get migrains. Know that I as well as others share in your pain and frustration and with each other we will get through it. If your insurance says the medication is to expensive have your doctor appeal it. God luck and God bless.

Patty

• Edited

I took Relpax for many years (before my cataract surgery) and it did work quite well.  However, it did eventually stop working and I now take Rizatriptan for my migraines.  I remain glad that I had cataract surgery but my migraines continue - I can honestly say that a year later they have calmed down to the pre-cataract stage.  My eyes remain dry but I am so thankful I don't have to wear thick glasses.  I read on different sites all the time how difficult it is to get off of klonopin...I don't listen or get upset...my pcp will not prescribe it for me....I don't care...I am 65 years old and will remain on this drug until I die and I  refuse to worry about getting off of the medication.  If I were younger I might worry about getting off of it but at this stage in life I refuse to waste one moment of my remaining life worrying about the trouble I might have getting off of klonopin.  This medication allows me to enjoy life without crippling anxiety and panic. I know that it can affect my balance resulting in a fall and can maybe even have a negative effect on cognitive ability but when taking it, I can enjoy my family and handle "life".  Patty, I pray that your migraines get better.  I have also gotten botox injections and believe it or not they did help. Insurance does not pay for all of the treatment but it did lessen both the pain and the frequency.  You might want to try that. Sometimes I get really down as it seems like most people handle life better than I do but I am thankful to be alive and enjoy my family for the moment.  Good luck to you also. God bless.  Please respond if you can.

• Edited

Sharon,

So sorry to hear about your difficulties. There seem to be many of us out here. I know thousands of surgeries are performed without complications....God bless them. I can hardly deal with the pain that feels like a twisted rubber band in my eye socket, causing headaches etc. The doc that did my surgery said I may be alergic to drops and I have a film developed on the sack that the lense was placed in.  I will spare you any of the other details that went bad. I had shots in my neck for headaches by Neurologist but refused botox (pharmaceutical grade of botulism) Went with Hyulonic Acid and an anti inflammatory). I went to my "touch, pressure point" chiropractor and she worked on my sinus area/the base of my skull and re aligned my neck. I have been going to her for years so I trust her. Got relief from headaches but still pain in eye socket. I wish docs would NOT prescribe antidepressants for stress. Why not just a light lorazepam for relief? I take natural approach when possible: plenty of water (reverse osmosis)! flax seed oil and cut back pro inflamitory items, sugar/bleached flower etc. Got second opinion, could be brain trying to adjust since I only had one eye done so far. We are all created so differently with great complexities, I hope you can find comfort. Prayers for you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your story - although I am glad I don't have to wear thick glasses and/or contacts anymore, I really don't feel like I see as clearly as I did before the cataract surgery.  I had one eye done for 20/20 vision and one for close reading etc as this is what I had done for years with my contacts.  I should have gone with 20/20 in both eyes.  I think my vision is changing if I was wearing reading glasses they would have to be stronger than when I had my eyes done. It is quite disconcerting .My vision in the "good eye" is relatively clear but I guess as my eyes age they are just not able to work together as well as in my younger days.  I met a man a few days ago who had cataract surgery recently and he told me that now they have a lens they can implant that allows you to both see at a distance and also read!  I wish I had known that when I had my surgery done.

• Posted

SO, my headaches post cataract surgery started prior to getting my glasses prescribed ( to correct astigmatism and for reading). the glasses seemed fine or a day, but headaches returned, when i say headaches i dont mean a blistering migraine as in please dont walk on floor next to me or utter a word. These headaches are like ones I had every once in awhile as a very young person before migraine entered my life 40 yrs ago.

( my Typical migraine diagnosis is actually not the classic version, it is the vestibular kind with aura, and ensuing head pain, eye,socket pain, ataxia, speech difficulties and glare, noise sensitivies, etc.) however i have not had one of those in months.

The headache i am having post cataract surgery sometimes starts with a very very faint greying of vision...enough to cause much frustration...then this headache starts, it takes all desire to do anything away. and now im feeling depressed and very frustrated.

I am currently documenting what pain meds i take, what activities, and what triggers, food etc. even the dry eye drops use Since the cornea is highly enervated and it communicates with the vagus nerve etc etc, I wouldnt be surprised if this was a migraine caused by the meds and the drops post surgery. MY fear is that now, two months post 2nd cataract removal that I am stuck with it. My neurolgoist just retired and my GP helps as best they can.

i see here in the forum that one person wrote that it goes away. i hope so. btw i did go in to opthamologist and have my eyes checked for retinal detachment, a visual field test etc. about 7 weeks post 2nd cataract removal. they were concerned about the greying but not the headache. And he found no issues to be of concern ( regarding potential blindness) but said the grey vision was ocular migraine. However hes not a neurologist and theinternet says that the ocular migraine is unilateral and mine is bilateral.

if anyone can contribute to this thread about when post cataract headaches for migraine sufferers will resolve, please post. thanks so much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.