Cataract Surgery Bad Headaches at Temple of eye

Posted , 44 users are following.

What Could be the Cause of Bad Headaches After Cataract Surgery?

I am a 60 year female and just over two week ago I under went cataract surgery on my right eye. I have developed extremely bad headaches behind my eye and reaching out to my temple. It doesn’t seem to go away with normal pain medicine. Could this be caused from some problem with the new lens? Will this in course go away as the eye heals and gets used to the focus and light? These don’t seem to be normal headaches – more like migraines although I have never had those before

2 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

No Headaches here but late in the day I get a feeling that I've got dirty contacts in my eye.  Usually some lubrication makes it go away with a liquid tears sort of product.

?The surgery does cause your eyes to swell, hence all the drops to try and keep it from swelling.  Since you are prone to these sort of headaches I'm wondering if the trauma of the operation and subsequent swelling of the eyes is what set off your headaches.

• Posted

Have you talked to your surgeon about this?  I had those kind of headaches for a couple of days after surgery, which my surgeon said was caused by the anesthesia. That seems like a long time for that to be the cause.  Sorry, I can't fifer more.  Good luck!

• Posted

yes he wants me to come in so he can fix it , more laser with no real promise it will work
  • Posted

You didnt say how long ago you had the op, I never had headache just pain, its over 6 weeks since I had my second eye op, my first eye is just fine, sight in both eyes are good but my second eye is still having discomfort, it is still sore when my eye is closed and my eye feels heavy all the time.

I am sure every op is different for different people and I am on this site to fine out if anyone has my symptoms, hopefully someone may know if headaches can be a symptom, what does your surgeon say, and again how long is it since you had the op

• Posted

one eye done july 27 2016 that the one with the problem, second eye done sept 19 2016 no real problem with that one I do have ND in both eyes first eye bad second  mild. I heve flickers and I feel like a brinking xmas light.  Glad yours seem to have went well
    • Posted

Agnes,. Are you using anything to help lubricate your eyes like a natural tears or sooth XP. Don't use the stuff for red eyes... Just the drops for lubricating the eye.

Since my operation, now that the prescription eye drops are finished, I'm using over the counter drops that are safe to use as often as needed. Sometimes I only get comfort for an hour or two then use another drop. Sometimes it's four or five hours before another drop is needed.

• Posted

I'm looking at this site for answers to my friends. bad headaches. Her surgery was about 2 months ago & she has been to the emergency room several times.

• Posted

Not sure about the migraines but headaches could be from difference between the two eyes.  I would check this with doctor since migraines do not seem to be a typical response to cataract surgery.
  • Posted

Hello there.  I was googling eye pain after cat. surgery and it brought me here.  I felt that I needed to be supportive by saying this has been my experience also.  I am still communicating with the surgeon but we are not getting beyond possibly the pain is owing to the dryness post surgery of the cornea.  He says that he finds no tear in the retina after two dilations and exams.  I also have an arc shaped flash which seems to be only visible really in the dark or evening in dim light.  I thought this meant a tear but none is detected.  It is indeed baffling and frustrating.  Hopefully our dilemma reaches someone who can guide us to the answers. 
    • Posted

have same problem...no tear,,,just those flashes in dim light....opthomologist says its due to the vitreous humor pulling at the retina....so there is no tear,,,,just a pulling...it may or may not tear in the future,,,he said there is nothing he can do about it unless there is an actual tear...he cant fix what isnt broken,,,yet..
  • Posted

Cuz,  My need for eyedrops is going away slowly.  Today I only put drops in twice.  Once at the beginning of the day and once at the end.  But I do notice that too much light can give me some pain.  Put on sunglasses....no problem.   You might pay attention to trying some natural trears sort of eyedrop that does not have redness medicine in it.  also wear sunglasses outside and do not open the window blinds full when inside. 
  • Posted

I just had the surgery today and have the same symptoms...eye ache and headache...also have halos or circles around lights...they said to take tylenol and i go bacl to see the surgeon tomorrow...maybe its due to increase in eye pressure...ughhhh  sad
    • Posted

Hi James, Im a bit like a gramophone record, I had cataract removed June 2016, I had severe pain for 4 days caused by pressure, I was OK after that got my other eye done Aug 2016, same again severe pain for 5 days this time, my sight is fine but I still have a heavy feeling in my eyes and they also feel gritty, I confess I dont us anything because Im a woose, hate putting drops in but those who do say its helps, please be patient, if its the same as what I had you will be fine when it settles down, how is your sight after the op

Regards Agnes

• Posted

My eye pressure is good,,,day after the ,surgery went back to opthomologist who did the surgery ...he looked at my eye and measured the pressure.but i still have headache pain...day after surgery saw surgeon and he could see no problems,,,i go back tomorrow ... which is a week following the surgery..to check eye pressure again etc,,,,still have headache,,,eye pain,,,no grittiness or dryness,,,in the eye,,,vision is very good,,,i got plain  monofocal lense ,,,nothing fancy
    • Posted

Hi James, eye pressure is sounding fine, hopefully the headaches will soon subside, I didnt get headaches only pain from the pressure. you are so fortunate to have no grittiness or dryness, this is a big help, and most important of all is that your sight is good, please keep us up to date with how everything is going

Regards Agnes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.