Cataract Surgery Bad Headaches at Temple of eye

Posted , 44 users are following.

What Could be the Cause of Bad Headaches After Cataract Surgery?

I am a 60 year female and just over two week ago I under went cataract surgery on my right eye. I have developed extremely bad headaches behind my eye and reaching out to my temple. It doesn’t seem to go away with normal pain medicine. Could this be caused from some problem with the new lens? Will this in course go away as the eye heals and gets used to the focus and light? These don’t seem to be normal headaches – more like migraines although I have never had those before

2 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No migraines for 15 year, then I had cataract surgery on both eyes. First went fine, second disaster. Before surgeon finished, full blown migraine.

Made sense to me, surgeon said he'd never heard of this. #1 eye surgeon in

Texas. Had surgery April, 2017. Every day until mid August severe headaches.

Heard about Botox, been free for 2 weeks. Horrible eyelid droop, beats migraines. 

• Posted

I had cataract removal with a lens implant on Sept 5.   Since the surgery I’ve been nauseous and dizzy.  My surgeon said it was due to my eyes fighting one another.  Yesterday I had surgery on my second eye. I had slight pain and it feels as if there is something in it but the doctor prescribed Cipro drops so I don’t get an infection and Prednisone drops for scarring and inflammation.  Although not as bad, toward the end of the day I’m having the same symptoms.  Do these symptoms eventually go away?  
  • Posted

I had cataract surgery about a month ago. I was getting headaches before the surgery I thought because my vision was bad. Since the surgery I get really bad headaches in the temple area or behind the eye and there frequent. Is this a side effect from the surgery?
    • Posted

It's hard to tell...if you're really concerned, ask your eye doctor or your primary care physician. If nothing you try works, neurologists treat headaches and migraines, so if you get no relief you may want to consult a neurologist (and it could also be a sinus problem - ear, nose and throat doctors treat those). In the meantime, you can try over the counter sinus medication, over the counter migraine medication or ask your PCP for prescription migraine medication to see if that helps.

• Posted

I had a cataract in my right eye removed a week ago. I am still taking pain killers every day - in the mornings to help with the sharp pain until my eyes adjust to the daylight, and again in the evenings when I seem to be getting a dull ache behind my eye, and in the temple. When I googled this is does say it can take a month for the eyes to adjust and pains to stop.

Michele

• Posted

I had cataract surgery on my right eye ten weeks ago and have had a constant headache ever since. The consultant I've seen says it's not due to the cataract removal but I didn't have it before! I have been offered laser treatment to remove viscoelastic which he says is trapped behind the implant but of course this carries risks that I am so worried about. My distance vision is not too good with some blurring and ghosting and I have had to buy glasses to overcome this - I've not worn glasses before, other than for reading. I don't know whether this laser treatment will get rid of the headaches, they really are becoming unbearable and as you say they are more like migraines . I sincerely hope your headaches with clear very soon.

• Posted

I am a 71 year old female and have had my cataracts removed two weeks apart this past month (July 2018).  The first surgery went great.  After my second surgery I have had awful headaches from the side of my eye through my temple to the top of my head.  I asked the surgeon about it and he brushed my complaint off as if it were nothing.  I have been looking for an answer and found this site.  The headache is constant and I am looking for some hope.  I have been taking Extra Strength Excedrin and the headaches are still painful.  The sedation was given to me by a nurse anesthetist and I am questionable about how the pain injection underneath my eye might have caused nerve damage.  

• Posted

had lens replacement surgery 4 yrs ago and have suffered headaches ever since! Dr has tried several different medications with no great success. I never connected the headaches with my surgery until recently and now im not sure what to do. pain is concentrated on left side and i remember my consultant telling me that he didnt achieve as good a result with that eye and that he would like to lazer it at a later date. I left the country soon after and never went back. Im living with this constant pain now and need some advice.

• Posted

cuz4concern i had my surgery April 1 and April 15 2019 I have headaches every day now. Its mostly around my right eye and temple to the top of my eye. I wish I didnt have the surgery as heache is unbearable at times MY eye dr says my eyes are fine. I hope it goes away.

• Posted

I have also developed bad headaches after surgery which began behind my eye. Now in face and all of my head.

Two ophthalmologists have said nothing is wrong. Go figure.

• Posted

Got panoptix multi focals. A month later, bad headaches. When I read or use my kindle. All kinds of tests, no solutions. Depressing! Next a neurologic exam. Ophthalmologist of course is denying it could be the surgery or lenses. Sigh. Suggestions welcomed.

• Posted

I had my first eye done January 4th 2024, and my second one done 4 weeks later.

Everything was fine after my first eye. I had little to no discomfort at all.

My second eye is the one that is giving me a hard time. I had much more discomfort in my second eye after surgery. Mostly, it just felt irritated. Last week I started getting headaches almost every day. The severity and duration of the headaches seems to be increasing. I have had the same headache now for almost 24 hours, and nothing seems to touch it. My eye also feels extra irritated. I am 3 weeks post-op on my second eye.

Before having cataract surgery, I would get a migraine about once a month. I'm really hoping that the headaches will stop with more time!

• Posted

At three weeks your eye should be very close to being fully recovered. I would call your surgeon to ask for advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.